OP
spdmn75

spdmn75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
yes the Sony has multiple adjustment options, but it would still block the AC controls original location.
Sponsored

MrStix

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Now that I have the kit, I can see that you mounted the airbag indicator above the metra screen as opposed to below with the mounting holes. Can you provide any more info on why? Maybe with pics?
I’m assuming it was for screen placement issues and somehow a way to lower the Metra screen and distance it farther from the Sony?
Just curious what I’ll have to do if I go with the Kenwood.
I tried a Pioneer 4660 but it didn’t respond well to the Metra’s steering wheel controls. Thinking about switching to the Kenwood next.
I absolutely could not risk not having working steering wheel controls.
how are they working with the Sony?

OP
OP
spdmn75

spdmn75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
The Sony has some options to make custom steering wheel controls in the software. The airbag light is in the stock location.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sony XAV-9500ES install(10.1") IMG_4033.JPG

OP
OP
spdmn75

spdmn75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
Did you notice how much bigger my screen is?

MrStix

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Did you notice how much bigger my screen is?
Ah, please forgive me. I was not able to see the photos very well on my phone.

The image I posted is of the standard Double Din unit that did not meet my needs in an HU.
I am now interested in a floating screen unit like the one you have. It is actually about 50% larger in height than your Sony screen as a result of different screen ratios and border designs.
Blocking the upper air vents as little as possible would be the goal.

If you modded the Metra Kit or Dash of your Type R to help you to not block things I am genuinely interested so that I may try the same.
Now that I can see your photo better, it looks like you cut up the metra kit so that you could lower it to the level where it blocks the "catch tray".

Then you "gutted" the stock a/c controls to leave behind the trim. Was that simply to provide a mounting spot for the airbag light?

Then the Sony screen blocks the gutted a/c trim? is that right?
Any close ups of the gaps I can see around the lowered Metra screen? Do they bother you at all or does the Sony more than make up for it?

I also realize this is not a DIY tutorial, but, if you have any helpful steps you took to maximize space between the floating screen and metra screen I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

OP
OP
spdmn75

spdmn75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
Yes most of what you wrote is correct. I also have my radar detector controls mounted on the stock AC control head area. I believe this is probably the biggest you can fit in there without blocking the top and bottom access you need.

olpp

First Name
Olimer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-L
Country flag
the kit is straight forward plug and play. The problem is the screen would completely block the ac controls if left in the stock location. Also make sure the firmware on this kit is current.
Hey spdmn75,

I have a question, what about the car settings, for example, TPMS Calibration, Lights functions, car key open/close functions, etc.? Can this unit control them?
Sponsored