So my audio amp is blown

Cartman417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Country flag
car audio place confirmed my stock amp in my sport touring is done. Said I can’t add an aftermarket amp without replacing the stock one first

I need something. What are all my options?
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
car audio place confirmed my stock amp in my sport touring is done. Said I can’t add an aftermarket amp without replacing the stock one first

I need something. What are all my options?
The Honda Car head unit outputs Digital audio to the Honda Amp.
So you need a working Honda Amp to receive and decode that digital audio.
Then the Addon Amp takes the Analogue outputs from the "WORKING" Honda amp, and does whatever it want to do with that input to amplify it and to drive your new upgraded speakers.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
IF you still have the 3 year warranty, you can warranty your amp

OP
OP

Cartman417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Country flag
The Honda Car head unit outputs Digital audio to the Honda Amp.
So you need a working Honda Amp to receive and decode that digital audio.
Then the Addon Amp takes the Analogue outputs from the "WORKING" Honda amp, and does whatever it want to do with that input to amplify it and to drive your new upgraded speakers.
So the answer is yes I need a working stick amplifier before being able to add an aftermarket one?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So the answer is yes I need a working stick amplifier before being able to add an aftermarket one?
Yes.. That is what I believe from what I have read and studied looking at the Honda Head Unit.
Just to confirm, you have the High Level system, with the 10 speakers and 500W of power. It's the High Level system that has a separate 500W amp .

What I can tell you with 100% certainty is that in HIGH End 500W system, the Honda Head Unit does NOT have speaker outputs, as there is no 4 x 50W amplifier in the Unit.
(I am looking at a disassembled one at the moment) -- so there is no option to connect your new amp to attenuated speaker outputs from the Head unit, as those speaker outputs do not exist.

So, yes, you need a working head Unit (obviously) AND a working 500W HONDA amplifier ( typically 39186-TBG-A120-M1).

Whatever you do, you will need to get the Honda Amp replaced, and hopefully it should be under Warranty (depending on under what conditions it failed !!)

see

https://www.civicx.com/threads/tour...output-but-some-features-are-in-the-amp.2714/

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cartman417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Country flag
Correct it’s a sport touring so it has the higher output stereo.

I’ve only been able to find one amp. It says it came out of a type R. Should that work?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct it’s a sport touring so it has the higher output stereo.

I’ve only been able to find one amp. It says it came out of a type R. Should that work?
Sorry -- I cannot say either way for sure. Can you compare part numbers with yours and the one from the R ??

BTW: This is how the Head Unit connects to the Amp

Honda Civic 10th gen So my audio amp is blown Honda_HU-AMP

How did your AMP fail ? Are you 100% sure that it is the AMP that failed, and not the head Unit, or a blow fuse etc.

The above diagram just shows the basic SIGNAL connections.

I believe that the Main Power (+12v) and ACC goes to teh AMP first, and then from the Amp to the Head Unit.

Why cant you get the whole Honda system fixed under warranty, and then move on from there. ??

$64,000 Question: How did the AMP blow ??

-------------------
What is a surprise, is that the AM/FM tuner "appears" to be a separate Module, connected to the HU with SPDIF1 & RS485.
That may make sense, -- different AM/FM requirements for different Countries ???

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
39186-tgh-a021

Is the number of the amp I found
The number I quotes was from the AMP I recently purchased on Ebay .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-HONDA...PIONEER-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-9259/273460441235

Came from a 2018 Si Coupe, same as mine.

I am trying to assemble a duplicate complete HU, AMP unit outside of the car, to "Experiment" on. Now looks I am missing the AM/FM tuner :(

----
Looks like this is actually a HD tuner ???
39800-TBA-A21

Starting to make more sense, as this Tuner with the HD would be one for say the USA Market.
Other countries may not have HD, but instead use DAB ?? thus requiring a different tuner.

The XM tuner is defiantly in the head Unit .. I see it there on one of the Circuit Boards.

So is this $275 "Tuner" just the HD tuner, or is it really AM/FM & HD. ???
Hopefully I can get one on Ebay from a Parted out Totaled 2016-2018 civic, or someone who has updated to a non OEM head unit, as I very doubt that this 39800-TBA_A21 is going to work with any aftermarket head Unit.

Also got to wonder if those updating their AMP to get "Better - LOUDER" sound, are actually installing a 10 Channel AMP ??? or still getting HD radio ???

The more one looks into these Head Unit & AMP upgrades, the more one appreciates just how complex the OEM system is, and difficult to update without loosing functionality.

Would welcome any input from anyone who is more familiar with this setup.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Cartman417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Country flag
Well I took car to get windows tinted. Got car back and no audio at all. Not even the beeps when you press the buttons on the head unit.
Everything on the head unit seems to be functioning. Just no audio coming out no matter what I try or do

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Well I took car to get windows tinted. Got car back and no audio at all. Not even the beeps when you press the buttons on the head unit.
Everything on the head unit seems to be functioning. Just no audio coming out no matter what I try or do
I read somewhere that same thing happened to someone on here after getting it tinted, but it had to do with excess water getting into the door panel from the installation and leaking onto some sort of wiring or source. mightve been the amp ?
Sponsored