Touring HU has digital audio output! But, some features are in the amp.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I was reading through the service manual online and discovered that the Touring has an SPDIF digital output on the headunit that runs to the amp. No mention of whether it's standard PCM 2-channel audio or some sort of nonstandard multi-channel format.

So, that'd be cool if you could pick up a clean digital output, but the bad part is "The stereo amplifier communicates with the audio unit using the dedicated serial bus (RS485). This communication includes the vehicle speed (for SVC) information, audio settings, and the MUTE commands. The stereo amplifier adjusts the speaker outputs by oneself which is based on the received information. The stereo amplifier receives the guidance signal and the system beep signal via independent lines, and mix them to applicable audio lines."

So you'd be giving up some functionality using the direct digital output.

The plug for the nav unit is the same whether the system has the amp or not, and the pin assignments are the same for both, except all the ones for the speaker outputs on non-amp models are listed as "Not used" for systems that have the amp. But I wonder if the headunit might still output sound on those pins. Looks like they'd be (nearly) full-range, as the mid and tweeter are on the same line. EDIT: I just noticed the nav unit is like $1200 while the Touring unit is only like $300, so the guts are probably totally different, so probably not.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: WIO

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
And the tuner is separate from the HU. It's a system of pieces. Replacing any one piece is going to be, uhmm, complex.

OP
OP

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Yeah, I think tapping wires after the factory amp will make the most sense, but I was looking at this chart tonight:

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring HU has digital audio output!  But, some features are in the amp. Untitled

I know the JBL MS-8 can combine up to 8 inputs into a stereo signal, but it looks like it will be a bit of a mess with the way some audio info goes to the center channel but not the sides while other info goes to the sides but not the center.

And figuring out a way to tap signal from LF mid, LF tweeter, RF mid, RF tweeter, center, and sub from this connector without cutting it off will suck:

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring HU has digital audio output!  But, some features are in the amp. Untitled2

Hawkcrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Yeah, I think tapping wires after the factory amp will make the most sense, but I was looking at this chart tonight:

Untitled.png

I know the JBL MS-8 can combine up to 8 inputs into a stereo signal, but it looks like it will be a bit of a mess with the way some audio info goes to the center channel but not the sides while other info goes to the sides but not the center.

And figuring out a way to tap signal from LF mid, LF tweeter, RF mid, RF tweeter, center, and sub from this connector without cutting it off will suck:

Untitled2.png

Where is the Amp Located and does anyone have a part number?

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The amp is located on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you remove the glove compartment, you can get a peek at it.

Manufacturer: Honda
Part Number: 39186-TBA-A01
Part: AMPLIFIER ASSY.,AUDIO(PREMIUM)

Hawkcrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Does anyone know if you can swap the "HMI head unit only" 39101-TBC-A61RM from the EX-L

TO

The "HMI head unit only"39101-TBC-A71RM from the EX-Touring for an instant NAV upgrade?

Also wanting to add the Factory Sub and amp.

Looks like I can get all three components for $600 and I'm hoping its all plug and play!

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm hoping its all plug and play!
As noted in your post on the other forum, different wiring harnesses will almost surely add much complication to this.

Hawkcrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
As noted in your post on the other forum, different wiring harnesses will almost surely add much complication to this.
What other forum?

Do you have a link to the different wiring issues?

In the past I have added accessories like keyless unlock modules etc and the wiring harness was all pre-wired for most add ons. The harness was just plugged and taped up out of the way. It was just a matter of plugging in the new module and zip tieing the the factory harness as applicable in the instructions from Honda.

Is this not the case?

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
This is the back of the Civic Touring head unit that gives some indication of it's complexity. I don't know if a 3rd party vendor will eventually come out with a head unit that retains all of the interfaces and functionality of the original, but I hope so as this is a real mess of a system for a vehicle that is otherwise so far ahead of the curve.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring HU has digital audio output!  But, some features are in the amp. Honda Headunit Photo 2

Reactions: WIO

Hawkcrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Does anyone have the NON-Touring radio with a picture to compair?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What other forum?

Do you have a link to the different wiring issues?

In the past I have added accessories like keyless unlock modules etc and the wiring harness was all pre-wired for most add ons. The harness was just plugged and taped up out of the way. It was just a matter of plugging in the new module and zip tieing the the factory harness as applicable in the instructions from Honda.

Is this not the case?
I guess I thought you were the one posting an essentially identical topic at the 10th civic forum site as Matthew C Hawk. Either way.

Even for many of the OEM accessories, harnesses have to be added and represent in some cases the majority of the installation task. (Look at the instructions for the fog lights, all the interior lighting mods, and the wireless charging pad.)

For sure, I do not know what the wiring issues will be. I'm betting they will exist. But, by all means, feel free to try this and report back. It is possible that the differences in harnessing between EX-L and Touring can be identified, and are all standalone, order-able, harnesses that can be installed without removing most of the interior. Expected areas where I bet the EX-L has no equivalent wiring: head unit to amplifier and amplifier to subwoofer. I'd also bet that all the other speaker wiring in an EX-L is harnessed to the back of the head unit, but goes to the amplifier in the Touring.
Sponsored