VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
Tirerack sells wheel and tire packages if you’re looking to get all seasons or get smaller wheels. They’re great to work with.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bhaveshr

First Name
Bhavesh R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Accord LX, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I very much appreciate everyone's response and guidance.

Just checked the rear tires, and I managed to get a semi-decent quality pictures of the threads left.

If you think that the rear tires have enough thread left, I will replace them with OEM tires in the front and wait for all of them to wear out.

If you think that the tires are going to go soon, I will get all 4 replaced with all season.

My budget is high enough to be able to get good quality all season tires if needed. (Originally I had set aside about $1400$1600 for all 4 summer tires but if I can get by with spending less, of course I would like that very much.

I will try not to take up too much of everyone's time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Safe to Drive ? Or Replace Tires? 20220726_203157

Honda Civic 10th gen Safe to Drive ? Or Replace Tires? 20220726_203427

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
I don't think anyone would recommend you to keep driving on that tire.
Just buy an used wheel with tire from FS forum, preferably with similar mileage.
Or if you only want to buy one tire, ask tirerack to shave the new one to match the depth.

Proxkiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you everyone for replies and suggestion

My first thought is to get the cheaper of the two solutions, replace the front two tires with OE tires and wait for all 4 to wear out before replacing all 4 wheels and tires with all season tires.

I am trying to find most frugal solution at the moment. I can save up some money for the tires/wheels when the current one wears out. I would hate to lose the threads on the current tires.

I live in Houston, and we get some nasty down pours ( when we have rain that is)

Any opinion ?
Definitely change your tires, like someone else said you might not die in a spectacular tire failure but I think it could cause other damage if the bead fails and you ride on the rim, not worth the risk imo

most people recommend the pilot sport 4s on here, sometime you can find them cheaper for a different size that can still fit on the rim, I think 255/35/20, from what I heard the ride quality is still great but handling is slightly worse, I personally just stuck with oem tires.
If you don’t want to spend thousands on the rims and tires I’d get a whole different set up, in the 10 months I’ve had the car I’ve had 2 bent rims and 4 tires get messed up from potholes. Almost $5k all in under 10k miles, but I really like the handling and look of oem wheels so I get what I get.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
:) you know ? That's a pretty good advice. I generally try to stay away from them, but seems like it was just my bad day....
I've been there...done that and didn't even get a lousy tee shirt!
I hate that noise.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
if you were in VA I would sell you the stock tires for cheap!

OP
OP

bhaveshr

First Name
Bhavesh R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
if you were in VA I would sell you the stock tires for cheap!
Thank you for the offer, that would have been the best solution. .. unfortunately circumstances does not work out right.

OP
OP

bhaveshr

First Name
Bhavesh R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you everyone with all the suggestions and response and recommendation.

Based on everyone's suggestion, I will replace all 4 tires with new ones.
And based on popularity of the tire, I will get PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 - SIZE: 245/35ZR20 from Costco. They are $275/each.
Slightly thicker sidewall to avoid damaging the wheel. I am going to start working on setting aside a budget to get new wheels when the new tires wear out ( I know it may be a 2-3 years)

If someone has other recommendation, I welcome it.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Does it make sense to just replace one tire?
Based on what others have said, the tire does not seem to have lot of thread left, I was thinking of one of the two options as someone suggested
Option 1: Replace front two tires with OE ~$700 cost
Option 2: Replace all 4 with all season (https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-sport-all-season-4/p/102130), cost of around $1000+

I need to get them replaced this week, need to start taking it to work Monday.

I did not put lot of miles on the car in the beginning because I had 3 cars and two drivers, now I am down to 2 cars/2 drivers and this car has become my daily driver.
You can try to find 1 used tire on eBay or Craigslist. Otherwise, must at least change the pair.

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
No way I would drive on that tire, not even for 2 mins, and not above 20mph

OP
OP

bhaveshr

First Name
Bhavesh R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No way I would drive on that tire, not even for 2 mins, and not above 20mph
The damage happened about 25 miles from home, so I had to drive the car home, under 45 mph, on the side roads instead of freeway.

But I have not driven the car since. I am only driving it to a place to get new tires, within 3 mile radius, driving through local neighborhood.

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I'm in Houston and ended up in a situation where I just needed to get a set of tires on the car so I could safely drive home. The only thing they had at Discount Tire is this tire. They cost $105 each (I went up to the 245/35/R20) and am still running them now until I swap them out for the 18's that I got. I have never heard of Sentury Tires, but they work just fine if you just need some tires.
Sponsored