Sponsored

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never. Used to use RustCheck 20+ years ago but wouldn't even consider rustproofing these days. Car are made much better today.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, literally drove it off the Honda lot to Krown and got it sprayed, I agree they're built better, but there is no stopping rust and steel eventually will rust. My thinking was also to get it sprayed before any rust has the chance to start.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Yes, literally drove it off the Honda lot to Krown and got it sprayed, I agree they're built better, but there is no stopping rust and steel eventually will rust. My thinking was also to get it sprayed before any rust has the chance to start.
Where'd you get it done and how much did it cost of you don't mind me asking?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

David Hughes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Exactly. Best $120 I've spent on my civic so far IMO. They also give you a lifetime rust guarantee that you can take advantage of if you take it back annually.
I had mine done last week. I had it done at Krown for 113.00 plus tax. I mean why would you not do this every year? Its the under body of the car that rusts the quickest. We spent thousands on these cars and thousands more in time and upgrades but people hesitate at 100 bucks a year.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine done last week. I had it done at Krown for 113.00 plus tax. I mean why would you not do this every year? Its the under body of the car that rusts the quickest. We spent thousands on these cars and thousands more in time and upgrades but people hesitate at 100 bucks a year.
I agree! And I still don't believe in the electronic rust proofing either, I stick with what works, and Krown is the best around IMO. Its cheap in the long run and much more piece of mind, especially in 10 years when they start rotting.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Exactly. Best $120 I've spent on my civic so far IMO. They also give you a lifetime rust guarantee that you can take advantage of if you take it back annually.
Is the charge when you take it back annually $119.95 every year? https://www.krown.com/warranty/ says "ANNUAL APPLICATION GIVES CONTINUED PROTECTION If you have KROWN Rust Control applied by a certified applicator annually within 30 days of the anniversary date", which sounds like they re-apply the product.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Is the charge when you take it back annually $119.95 every year? https://www.krown.com/warranty/ says "ANNUAL APPLICATION GIVES CONTINUED PROTECTION If you have KROWN Rust Control applied by a certified applicator annually within 30 days of the anniversary date", which sounds like they re-apply the product.
Yeah they re-spray it again, which will give you protection all year round kind of thing. Also, customers who return every year can get locked in pricing @ 120$cad & discounts for more than 1 vehicle. David Huges stated he paid 113$, so he is either a loyal customer, has 2 or more vehicles, or just knows the owner ;)

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Cars are designed and manufactured better for the most part, but there's still a chance of a single design mistake ruining it all.

Things I've done on other cars:

1. don't tailgate. so... less chips out of the front of the car.
2. chips happen, so touch them up.
3. each year ( or as time permits) I get under the car and repair the undercoating with 3M 08883 spray. My VW's have rubber plugs in the floor that cover holes in the floor pan and the undercoating on those can fail from stress. You have to make sure not to plug up drain holes that may be allowing water to come out of almost-closed body cavities.
4. I've used a spray called Fluid Film, spraying it into nooks and crannies, especially before winter.

after all that, what just got me on the 2001 Passat is that the exhaust system clamps rusted apart. The pipes are good and the pipe sleeve is really good but the clamps must have been a lower stainless grade or not stainless at all. The clamps broke open and the pipes came clean apart. When I put new clamps on I noticed the exhaust system is close to failing in a few different spots - all at the welded joints. Wish there was a way to protect the exhaust system.

Another thing that will harm the car over time is degradation of the rubber and plastic materials. Keeping the car in a garage or at least out of the sun can help it stay in good condition longer.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Not planning on it. If late model Hondas were going to rust or rustproofing cars was a significant concern, we'd see rusted late model Hondas and lots of people selling rustproofing here if anywhere. We don't see either. We see lots of 5th and 6th gen Civics on the island; rust is not the first thing you note that has aged most of them.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Not planning on it. If late model Hondas were going to rust or rustproofing cars was a significant concern, we'd see rusted late model Hondas and lots of people selling rustproofing here if anywhere. We don't see either. We see lots of 5th and 6th gen Civics on the island; rust is not the first thing you note that has aged most of them.
I've seen plenty of rotten 8th gens in Ontario, you also live in Hawaii lol, depends a lot on where you live.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
We don't salt the roads here. I think that's the major difference. But for people who live down by the beach, even "stainless" refrigerators and aluminum sliding doors rust in a few years, so it isn't a benign environment for sure

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most Civics I see on the road are in decent shape. But the majority of late 2000's Mazda 3s I see look horrible. I do plan on rust proofing both my Civics before next winter.
Sponsored