Ready to buy but can't choose which trim

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
IMHO, the US version of the Sport Hatch should have at least the equipment level of the Canadian one! Ours is based on the equivalent EX-T Sedan, Yours on the LX. (Should be between your EX and EX-L equipment-wise...)
For Comparison:
US: https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback#specifications
Canada: https://www.honda.ca/civic_hatchback/specs
Some of the trim decisions don't seem to make a lot of sense. A Sport Hatch based on the LX trim but with upgraded performance goodies. An Si with EX trim without a leather option?? Oh well. Compromises.
Sponsored

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Some of the trim decisions don't seem to make a lot of sense. A Sport Hatch based on the LX trim but with upgraded performance goodies. An Si with EX trim without a leather option?? Oh well. Compromises.
Some people don't want leather because they feel it presents an ethical quandary --

Car leather and clothing (as opposed to leather in a baseball glove or a horse saddle) comes from the India Cow, which are only slaughtered for their skin. It doesn't come from the hides of beef cattle "left over" from food production. Farmers in India, where cows are holy, are often coerced under false pretenses to sell their cows to the leather trade.

Deleted member

:lol:

It's got an LSD and adaptive dampers which cause problems if you want to modify the suspension. Let's not get crazy here.
The LSD is one of the most important aspects of what makes the Si great. I don’t think I have ever seen someone consider it a drawback.

Ramone179

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wish I had an LSD in my sport hatch. That being said, everything else, I can absolutely live with and I love my 6MT Hatchback Sport! Im 6"1 so most sunroofs aren't an option for me, Infotainment- I could care less about (easily upgradeable), the base interior is fine (also easily upgradeable). The function and form of the hatch are what sets it apart plus, it just looks so damn GOOD!! You really can't make a bad choice with any of the 10th gens.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
:lol:

It's got an LSD and adaptive dampers which cause problems if you want to modify the suspension. Let's not get crazy here.
Taken another way: The Si has LSD and adaptive dampers which are great if you don't want to modify the suspension. ;)

To the OP's question -- if I had to choose between the Si and hatchback Sport, the kicker for me would've been CarPlay. I hardly get to drive fast anymore, and not being hamstrung with the stock radio's UI has been more of a benefit than the extra horsepower and suspension upgrades. If I got the Sport hatch instead of my ST, I'd have already swapped out for a CarPlay-compatible stereo.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Save some money, get the Sport Hatch, and if you want, add the Hondata Flashpro +6 PSI. Power is adequate for all daily driver needs

OP
OP

Sherv

First Name
Sherv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro 2SSRS
Thanks for the advice, I am definitely leaning on the the sport with upgrades. I have never been a fan of stock audio systems so I'm glad the sport HB doesn't come with much allowing me to put in aftermarket stuff without feel bad about replacing the stock. Now... Time to clean and detailt he hell out of my camaro for sale lol

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have had my Sport hatch since July and I love it. So much room for people and all your stuff in the back. If you don't have any passengers you can fold the rears flat and double your cargo space. Radio upgrade was $400. Ktuner stage 1 tune works wonders for an easy power upgrade as well.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Si disadvantages over the Sport hatchback 6MT

1. $2,450 higher MSRP
2. Less cargo area

Si advantages over the Sport hatchback 6MT

1. More HP and torque
2. Smart Entry (lock/unlock doors by touch without having to use the remote)
3. Pushbutton start (vs. "old-fashioned" key and ignition cylinder)
4. Adaptive dampers (choose normal or sport)
5. Sport mode (changes gauge color and increases throttle response, steering firmness, and suspension firmness)
6. Limited slip differential (faster acceleration through corners and better in the snow)
7. Short-throw shifter with aluminum/leather shift knob
8. 450-watt, 10-speaker audio system with 7" touch screen, HondaLink, and Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (vs. 160-watt, 4-speaker system with 5" display)
9. Sunroof
10. LaneWatch camera
11. Heated seats
12. SiriusXM Radio and HD Radio
13. Dual-zone automatic climate control (vs. single zone)
14. Suspension improvements (better handling)
15. Si-specific seats (more supportive and comfortable)
16. Red interior stitching (cosmetic)
17. Full-color TFT display in instrument panel with additional instruments such as boost gauge (vs. mechanical tachometer and monochrome LCD)
18. Variable-speed intermittent wipers (vs. fixed-speed)
19. Easier to find (almost twice as many Si listed for sale on Cars.com than Sport hatchback 6MT)
20. Heated side mirrors
21. No rear hatch that requires disassembly (spoiler, trim, wiper, etc.) to tint the rear window

That's a lot of equipment that improves not only performance and handling, but comfort and convenience in daily driving as well. It's really quite astonishing you can get all that for only $2,450 more. Either the Sport hatchback is overpriced or the Si is the bargain of the century (or a bit of both).

Last edited:

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IMHO, the US version of the Sport Hatch should have at least the equipment level of the Canadian one! Ours is based on the equivalent EX-T Sedan, Yours on the LX. (Should be between your EX and EX-L equipment-wise...)
For Comparison:
US: https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback#specifications
Canada: https://www.honda.ca/civic_hatchback/specs
I honestly feel bad that the states don't get our hatch trims. I'm always reading about how the sport hatch has no tech and then remember that most people here are american. Up north the only reason to get the Si over the sport hatch is for the LSD, seats and the LED lights and at $4500 more and no hatch utility it's not worth it. I'm just waiting for a wrecked Si so I can steal the seats.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
The shifter in the Si alone sells the car. The 4 dr also looks a bit more mature IMO.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Get the Sport Hatch

Looks beautiful, fun to drive, without the unnecessary tech BS that’ll likely cause issues in a few years

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I’m gonna throw you a curveball. When we were car shopping for our current car I had my eyes on sport hatch. Since this was gonna be my fiancé’s daily it has to be a auto which is fine. Because of some features the EX offered we opted for it. Also chose a PMM. The audio system is nicer than the sport. Keyless entry? But def the remote start is a blessing from that factory. Heated seats. I’d prefer no sunroof but the ex has one. I thought I was gonna get the nice wheels side skirts etc on the ex but we didn’t look at a EX at the time because it was in a warehouse storage.

Listen I’m a honda fanboy and between the two they have the same motor. I haven’t driven a tenth gen Civic manual but I’m sure I’m not missing anything. I still got my 99 Prelude and just got rid of my 94 Civic Hatch. Both are manual and you will never be able to replicate those manuals. I’d say look into a EX. The CVT isn’t that bad. It’s just puts the power down and just keeps going. It’s nice on days to have a auto.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I own the Hatch. lowly LX mind you, but if it was my only car I would definitely get the Si, unless hatchback room/convenience is a must.
Since you are looking to tune the rods in non Si trims seem to be a limiting factor.
Only thing I personally don't like about the Civic sedan is the increase in length.
Sponsored