RE-71RS or Cup 2 Connect for weekend only LE

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
I've been running Michelin PS4S in 245/35/19 on a set of OEM 19x8.5 FK2 wheels that I kept from my previous MY18 FK8. Would love to run the BBS 20" all the time but where I live is pothole city so they only go on for special occasions. The PS4S are nearly 6 years old and feel as though they're losing grip. Looking at replacing them with something a bit grippier.

Use case :

- Weekend spirited street driving, maybe 1000 miles per year
- Maybe the occasional track day but at most once per year
- It gets to below freezing where I live but the car is in a garage and I'd always be driving during the day when it was above 10C (50F)
- Never driven in the rain

The cost of the RE-71RS is $AUD495 and the Cup 2 Connect are $AUD650. The Cup 2 are 240 treadwear, seem to be the better fit for my use case and are a lighter tyre but cost more. The RE-71RS gets rave reviews but being 200 treadwear are more track focused than street.
Sponsored

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
The Cup2 has more feedback than the RE71RS - both have immense grip but when pushed to the edge I felt more communication from the Cup2s - still would buy either one as they last about the same for me - typically 3 to 5k miles before I replace the fronts and about 8 to 10k in the rear depending on how hard I push the car.

In a pinch I had to buy the Falken 615k and they are ok as well - not as grippy as the other two but seem to wear nicely and a just a touch noisier during wheelspin.

I run 18x9.5 et +45 265/35/18 with Titan 7 wheels ....large improvement over the 20" wheels in weight and grip ....the LE uses the BBS wheels which are lighter than the the cast wheels but I believe still weigh around 20lbs a wheel or so. You have much more selection with 18s and lower tire prices as a bonus. Titan makes excellent daily forged wheels you wont mind scratching - Volk obviously is a common choice as well but they are more money and I would hate to damage them - but they also come in the 10.5" width which is ideal for a nice 295 tire under stock fenders.....that's my next move

Cheers

OP
OP
michaeljf

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
The Cup2 has more feedback than the RE71RS
I'm definitely leaning towards the Cup 2 Connect. Being a less sticky tyre compared to the RE-71RS did you find they flicked up less rocks? The OEM Cup 2s on the LE are stone magnets where the PS4S are fine.

You have much more selection with 18s and lower tire prices as a bonus.
I guess I've already got the 19s that are the perfect "one minus" OEM fitment so will stick with them plus I like the OEM look. Weight I'll do my best with and with the PS4S they are 50.6lb compared to 46lb for the 20" BBS/Cup 2.

Throw on RE-71RS and that shoots up to 51.4lb but go for Cup 2 Connect and it drops to 48.4lb. So the Bridgestones are 3lb heavier per corner.

Last edited:

OP
OP
michaeljf

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
Quick update. Went to order the Cup 2 Connects and the current Australian stock is all 2+ years old. Seems they don't sell a lot and I'm not pay $2500 for tyres where I've lost 40% of their useful life.

Ended up going to Bridgestone and got a sensational deal on some Potenza Sports, $950 for a set. Was tempted by the RE-71RS but at twice the price the value just wasn't there. If I was definitely tracking the car, then I would have gone for them.

Plenty of reports suggest the Sports are as sticky as my current PS4S with a more direct feel. The biggest complaint against them is shocking wear rates but I'm doing so little driving it won't matter. Will report back when they go on the car.

OP
OP
michaeljf

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
Will report back when they go on the car.
So the opposite problem to Michelin, was told there was stock of the Potenzas in Australia but none for a few months ....

Got offered some SportContact 7s at a great price and looking at reviews they get rave reports for a UUHP tyre so have gone with those. They are 1.2kg less per tyre than the Potenza Sport and go on tomorrow.
Sponsored