2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
So full disclosure here, I'm not exactly into all the social media stuff so I don't ever post clips... I thought I could upload sound clips (.mp3) to either youtube or the forum, wrong and wrong. Since I cannot share any of the sound clips I made, I had to go back and remake them as video clips.

Here is the first clip of a cold start recorded from inside the car:

Here is clip of cold start from outside the car but inside my garage:

I don't know why it sounds so different with my phone recording on the ground vs in my hand, but once I pick up the phone, you really get a sense of what it sounds like in person. It does not sound like how it does in the video while my phone is on the ground.

And final clip for today, here is my drive home:

Sorry I don't have anything to hold my phone while I drive, so it is laying in the cubby in front of the shifter. Some key points in the video:
2:30 - run to 60
5:00 - mustang driving by, a civic will never sound like this
6:30 - on the freeway, more road noise than exhaust
8:00 - show speed on the freeway 70-75
10:33 - 4th gear pull on freeway
13:45 - done with freeway, exhaust is fully warmed up now
17:00 - reverse and into garage

I will get more videos this weekend of revs and stuff, but it really sucks to have to do all this stuff again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2020MSMcivicSI

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I forgot to say that the exhaust I made was slightly different from my original post.

Turbo -> RV6 downpipe -> aFe frontpipe -> stock tubing -> Borla S-Type muffler -> stock tubing -> Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator -> stock tubing -> custom oval to round tubing -> Vibrant Streetpower muffler -> modified stock tip

omararod

First Name
omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si coupe
Country flag
i will say, this is pretty cool to see. that's an impressive sound for a catless dp

OP
OP
2020MSMcivicSI

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
i will say, this is pretty cool to see. that's an impressive sound for a catless dp
Thanks, I think I really accomplished my goal. Also it is cheaper compared to anything aftermarket. The 2 mufflers and 1 resonator were about $375 (font-pipe back cost). The downpipe was the most expensive part and I had RV6 put their ceramic black coating on it so that increased the price some more to $420. The reason I went with the aFe frontpipe was that it was the only 2.5" frontpipe I could find in stock and I got lucky to find it on sale for $250... so many parts are hard to get right now. All in I was about $1000 for full turbo back which I'd say is not bad.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want quiet and something larger then stock the OEM type R exhaust is just that.
It's 2.38" OD with 18gauge wall thickness (60.5mm and 1.2mm wall) and goes to a double 2" muffler in the rear.I have one laying here and measured the sizes with a digital caliper.
Also there are a few that have the OEM type R exhaust with downpipe and to me that sounds perfect.
Eman has a sound clip from his si with type R exhaust.
Type R and catless exhaust is such a great tone and sleeper/deep sounding. I wanted a bit more loud so I went muffler delete but it was still a good tone that wasn't over bearing because of the 2 resonators

OP
OP
2020MSMcivicSI

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Type R and catless exhaust is such a great tone and sleeper/deep sounding. I wanted a bit more loud so I went muffler delete but it was still a good tone that wasn't over bearing because of the 2 resonators
The biggest problem for me for the type-r exhaust is availability. It's hard to get one within reasonable driving distance in OH (nobody wants to ship one and would be expensive). The other reason I didn't try to get one is that I really didn't want a triple tip exhaust.

And just to clarify that quote from Hondanickx, the type-r exhaust is actually smaller diameter in places than the SI exhaust. After the front pipe, the SI exhaust is either the same size or larger than type-r. We proved this in another thread that was started from this conversation... see this thread for full details comparing the SI and type-r:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/si-sedan-stock-exhaust-measurements.52945/

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The biggest problem for me for the type-r exhaust is availability. It's hard to get one within reasonable driving distance in OH (nobody wants to ship one and would be expensive). The other reason I didn't try to get one is that I really didn't want a triple tip exhaust.

And just to clarify that quote from Hondanickx, the type-r exhaust is actually smaller diameter in places than the SI exhaust. After the front pipe, the SI exhaust is either the same size or larger than type-r. We proved this in another thread that was started from this conversation... see this thread for full details comparing the SI and type-r:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/si-sedan-stock-exhaust-measurements.52945/
Yes very true, availability is very dependent on location. I'm in North NJ/NYC so there's a decent amount that pop up here and there, I can imagine OH is much tougher. Agreed about the triple tip I'm the same, I much prefer 2 tip but the R exhaust grew on me immensely and I love it now. And thank you for the link and info I had no idea, always thought it would at least be the same if not bigger diameter when compared to Si exhaust

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I'd love to hear how this came out. I'm on the west side of columbus

OP
OP
2020MSMcivicSI

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I'd love to hear how this came out. I'm on the west side of columbus
East side myself... would be nice to organize a "cars and coffee" type event somewhere near downtown where other central OH people on this forum could meetup. I'm just too lazy to organize it... lol

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
East side myself... would be nice to organize a "cars and coffee" type event somewhere near downtown where other central OH people on this forum could meetup. I'm just too lazy to organize it... lol
Why not just come to the one that's already done every Saturday morning from 9am or so at the AMC Lennox 24 Town Center ( 777 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212 ) on Campus? It goes on rain or shine or winter or summer.

I'm usually there

OP
OP
2020MSMcivicSI

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Why not just come to the one that's already done every Saturday morning from 9am or so at the AMC Lennox 24 Town Center ( 777 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212 ) on Campus? It goes on rain or shine or winter or summer.
I had no idea... weather supposed to be really nice this weekend too. Unless something weird happens, I can be there.

Do you guys meet up on the theater side or target side?

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had no idea... weather supposed to be really nice this weekend too. Unless something weird happens, I can be there.

Do you guys meet up on the theater side or target side?
Oh? well now you know :). Come on down, we always have a pretty big and well-varied turnout.

Theater side.
Sponsored