Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE***

Was this post informative?

• Yes, it helped me quiet my exhaust or gave me good information

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, I like my exhaust loud like a chain smoking whore!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I really don't care, leave me alone

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
After more than a week of installing the Baffled Glasspack, I am really liking it. I still get the aggressive exhaust note when I go hard with almost no droning. When I drive normally or on the highway things are quiet. Also it really quiets down after 4th gear. A simple solution for those who have or are thinking of buying a performance exhaust but want a quieter ride. Now I have my sugary cake and can eat it too
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wanted to give an update on this post and my new project for making my performance exhaust quieter. So as everyone knows, I installed a Baffled Glasspack to quiet down my aFe Takeda performance exhaust, it did quiet things down, but it just was not enough. My wife doesn't even like driving in my car because she says it is to loud, especially when I accelerate fast or go above 3500 RPM. To be fair she does drive a Toyota Sienna with a very quiet 3.5L V6, but she never complained about the sound until I had the performance exhaust installed. Last night we were driving in a very steep hilly area, and the exhaust noise can get very loud especially when boost hits. Even my 15 year old son who likes loud commented on how loud it sounded. I really need to quiet the exhaust down without having to put the OEM exhaust back on, so over the last week I started to do some research, and I think I found the solution: A Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator part number 1141 sold on Amazon for $69

I went thru over 200 reviews, comments, blog posts, and youtube videos. It seems this resonator has been able to cancel out the most annoying exhaust sounds, and almost eliminates drone and even quiet down a BRZ to make it liveable. It has a flow-thru design that will not restrict the performance exhaust, and is easily installed by a muffler shop. Anyway I am going to give this solution a try and report back if it works, and how well

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** Vibrant Resonator.JPG

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went thru over 200 reviews, comments, blog posts, and youtube videos. It seems this resonator has been able to cancel out the most annoying exhaust sounds, and almost eliminates drone and even quiet down a BRZ to make it liveable. It has a flow-thru design that will not restrict the performance exhaust, and is easily installed by a muffler shop. Anyway I am going to give this solution a try and report back if it works, and how well

Vibrant Resonator.JPG
Nice resonator choice. I've used it on my 2015 Honda Fit --> Honda Fit Vibrant Resonator - Post #7
Had good success with it. Needed it with using a J's racing catless downpipe.

What I've always done is utilize a straight through resonator like you have and also install the biggest straight through muffler I could find. In my current setup, I have a full 3" exhaust. I did have a 3" straight through muffler but it was a bit too loud while travelling long distances. I have since replaced this muffler with a 2.5" In/Out turbo muffler. Despite the large exhaust, the sound is very subtle. U can have full conversations while driving with the windows down. You just don't notice the exhaust much.

1) Get a Good Resonator
2) Put the 'Biggest' straight through muffler you can fit on it. None of those skinny straight-through mufflers that look like a resonator. You want it to 'muffle' the sound.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Today I removed the Glasspack and had the Vibrant Resonator installed in its place. It noticeably quiets down the exhaust over the Glasspack, but I will need to drive the car in different conditions over the next week to fully determine if this is a good solution. I can say that it is much quieter at 3500 to 4000 rpm than before, but I want to drive it around for awhile to be fully sure

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** IMG_20190716_143835

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** MVIMG_20190716_150447

Honda Civic 10th gen Performance Exhaust louder than you expected? ***UPDATE*** MVIMG_20190716_150751

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today I removed the Glasspack and had the Vibrant Resonator installed in its place. It noticeably quiets down the exhaust over the Glasspack, but I will need to drive the car in different conditions over the next week to fully determine if this is a good solution. I can say that it is much quieter at 3500 to 4000 rpm than before, but I want to drive it around for awhile to be fully sure

IMG_20190716_143835.jpg

MVIMG_20190716_150447.jpg

MVIMG_20190716_150751.jpg

Good choice! Notice the size off this resonator vs the glasspack. Not the length but the width. I try to use this same concept with the muffler as well. Straight through design but the biggest muffler I can fit underneath the car (Both in length and width). Not those skinny mufflers that look like a resonator. They don't muffle anything. I also love the straight through design of the Vibrant resonator in that the holes do not protrude into the air passageway, like the inside of the glasspack muffler. That's very good!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good choice! Notice the size off this resonator vs the glasspack. Not the length but the width. I try to use this same concept with the muffler as well. Straight through design but the biggest muffler I can fit underneath the car (Both in length and width). Not those skinny mufflers that look like a resonator. They don't muffle anything. I also love the straight through design of the Vibrant resonator in that the holes do not protrude into the air passageway, like the inside of the glasspack muffler. That's very good!
Well so far so good. Decibel levels are down from the 70's to low 60's when accelerating and 50's when cruising. Drone is still there but just a hint. Let's see after a week

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now that I had a chance to drive more, this is the solution I was looking for to get almost stock like quiet out of my Takeda exhaust. The resonator takes the edge off of the high pitched exhaust tones, and drone is almost gone keeping the low growl. You get a hint of it hitting 3500 RPM, and than it almost goes away at 4000. Now 4th gear is as quiet as 5th gear used to be. I have not had a chance yet to do freeway driving, but 3000 rpm seems to be the sweet spot which is around where I would be at 80 mph in 6th gear. The muffler guy said if I put in the Baffled Glasspack after the CAT it would quiet down even more, but I think I hit where I want the sound to be.

So this seems to be the solution to quieting down a loud exhaust, and if you have done a muffler delete and are getting raspiness, this should also help with that. Here is the breakdown of the cost:

Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator (either 2.5" or 3"): $69 on Amazon
Cost to install: $50

I will post more info when I am able to do freeway driving

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another thing I wanted to add is that another positive effect of adding the Vibrant resonator is that exhaust vibration has been greatly minimized. When going into higher RPM's, the high frequency waves emitted from the exhaust cause a sort of vibration, it can be best described as a "boomy" noise. This can be very irritating and uncomfortable, you can even feel it and it causes early shifts to escape it. This is almost gone now, and I can take the car into 5000 rpms and the car feels and sounds great!

For those of you that want even quieter, you can add a Vibrant Bottle style resonator just after the CAT and it will really quiet things down. Everyone will think Honda came out with an Si hybrid! So for me, I think this is exactly what I want, some low smooth growl when I go hard, quiet when I cruise
Sponsored

Last edited: