Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Ok, I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I have a few questions for those who use turbo blankets for track use and heat management. I do understand their benefit when driving around town or on a dyno but not so sure this is that effective on track.
1) The blanket causes more heat to end up downstream into the exhaust header and hopefully out of the engine but it must also make the turbo run hotter and will transfer more heat back to the block. This is likely a benefit on the exhaust side but a detriment on the compression side. If there is good airflow over the turbo (which is not likely in an FK8 but is improved with proper hood vents) there may be benefits of cooling the turbo somewhat. Meanwhile the oil that circulates into the turbo will get hotter with the blanket on than without. I don't know how much the oil will heat up from this alone.

2) I understand that the positioning of the air intake plumbing immediately above and behind the turbo will really influence IATs but if there is enough airflow around and through the plumbing will the turbo blanket make any difference? Would it not make more sense to use a heat reflective coating on the intake plumbing?

3) Given that the engine is making the same amount of heat with and without the turbo blanket, is there risk to the exhaust system of shifting more heat there and is there risk to the turbo itself from using a blanket? Does the heat that doesn't get out of the turbo that is under the blanket just end up increasing temps of the exhaust, and flex pipe that are still in the engine bay?

I get it for street use and drag use that a turbo blanket can be really helpful but does it actually make much difference on track where total heat management including ECT, oil temps and IATs is the biggest issue?
Sponsored

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

This will actually answer all your questions (and its not just some random dude on Youtube)...after you watch it, reach out, I have a brand new one for sale :cool:

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s a great video! The one issue I worry about is in a winter city having the blanket trap moisture due to the super hot then freezing temperatures. Does anyone have experience with using a turbo blanket for long use daily driving in winter?

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

This will actually answer all your questions (and its not just some random dude on Youtube)...after you watch it, reach out, I have a brand new one for sale :cool:
Interesting video, thanks. Lots of issues though.
1) For some reason, the temps on the compressor side of the turbo decreased with the use of a blanket on the exhaust side. Meanwhile the compressor side air temps didn't change. This seems counterintuitive. Cooler compressor but no change in air temps. Certainly I would have expected the compressor side to be hotter with the blanket but if it was actually cooler (they measured 8 degrees C cooler peak with the turbo blanket), why was the compressor outlet tube no cooler?
2) The testing was done on a car where the turbo itself is much more remote than the FK8
3) The in car testing was done on a cold day and it is very unlikely that the underhood temps got remotely close to what we see on the track, especially where heat soak is involved.
4) The claims of increased power and rapid turbo spool are based on an diesel free standing engine dyno at low RPM. At the track most of the time we are already at peak boost. Also the fact that the oil temp reading on the diesel was not different doesn't really translate well to our situation as I am sure that engine wasn't heat stressed.

As expected testing showed that the actual temp of the exhaust side of the turbo increased due to the insulation of using a blanket. Not sure if this actually makes any significant change to oil temps although certainly I would have concerns about the longevity of the turbo.

Also the total heat produced by the engine is the same with or without the blanket. That heat has to go somewhere and in my mind the question is, how much of the heat that doesn't radiate out of the hot side of the turbo when using the blanket, just radiates out of the down and front pipes anyway, leaving underhood temps the same at least under track conditions? I am sure that in an engine that is not heat stressed like ours is at the track, a turbo blanket could be really useful to control some underhood temps and effectively IATs (which is really what I would like to do)

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Dave, all valid issues.

I know you are up on all the FK8 heat issues so here is my quick and dirty:

#1 is the damn CAT...I will be relocating mine to the exhaust mid-pipe area (I'll be "legal" but the huge heat sink is out of the engine bay). If you could go full CATless, this would really reduce backpressure and therefore heat! My turbo, down and mid pipes will be blanketed or shielded. Additional heat tape or protection on the oil pan and turbo intake.

#2 yes the heat is the heat is the heat...I get that. One benefit from a blanket is that it will keep some of the radiant heat from soaking into the radiator due to such close proximity. Could it retain more heat in the head, yes possibly.

#3 we know this is a game of inches and every mod will just do a small part to help. If I was staring over from scratch, my first mods would be to the core support to open things up under the hood, radiator ducting, and a proper hood vent.

Would I run a blanket, street car - no. Race - yes.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think you are absolutely correct about the cat. I am not prepared to go catless but I'm sure that would make a big difference.

Danzibar

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Dave, all valid issues.

I know you are up on all the FK8 heat issues so here is my quick and dirty:

#1 is the damn CAT...I will be relocating mine to the exhaust mid-pipe area (I'll be "legal" but the huge heat sink is out of the engine bay). If you could go full CATless, this would really reduce backpressure and therefore heat! My turbo, down and mid pipes will be blanketed or shielded. Additional heat tape or protection on the oil pan and turbo intake.

#2 yes the heat is the heat is the heat...I get that. One benefit from a blanket is that it will keep some of the radiant heat from soaking into the radiator due to such close proximity. Could it retain more heat in the head, yes possibly.

#3 we know this is a game of inches and every mod will just do a small part to help. If I was staring over from scratch, my first mods would be to the core support to open things up under the hood, radiator ducting, and a proper hood vent.

Would I run a blanket, street car - no. Race - yes.
By "proper hood vent" is there a community agreed best one to buy? Or are people just cutting. I now have my oil cooler fitted and preparing for the second radiator install in front of my PWR radiator but I fully suspect without air being able to escape they aren't giving me everything they can give...

Picked up the hard lagged dream turbo heat shield thing for £50 so that will be thrown on too. Probably safer on a daily + track car than a traditional flammable blanket.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
By "proper hood vent" is there a community agreed best one to buy? Or are people just cutting. I now have my oil cooler fitted and preparing for the second radiator install in front of my PWR radiator but I fully suspect without air being able to escape they aren't giving me everything they can give...

Picked up the hard lagged dream turbo heat shield thing for £50 so that will be thrown on too. Probably safer on a daily + track car than a traditional flammable blanket.
I dont think there is an "agreed" upon solution for the FK8. The trackspec vent that can be installed directly above the rear of the radiator and over the turbo in the middle of the hood would be a good choice...something like this.

https://trackspecmotorsports.com/universal/t2-scca-legal-universal-hood-louvers

More good cooling system general info here...

https://www.professionalawesome.com...-car-cooling-system-track-day-and-race-ready/

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I first tried the Trackspec vent which was really helpful but ended up with a Racelouver type vent Racelouver . This provides some air turbulence over the hood which should cause lower airpressure there and help even more with heat extraction. Nice thing about adding these vents to an OEM hood is that fitment is great and there is no need for hood pins. Interestingly it really helps with coolant temps but no where near as much with oil temps.
Sponsored