Question about different methods of increasing boost

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. I'll keep this quick: I've noticed that in reading up on the various threads (and the @VitViper blog) that the ultimate result of adding an intake, front pipe, down pipe, and tune seems to be an increase in boost. I had also noticed that a tune using KTuner or Hondata seems to be the most effective at accomplishing this.

Additionally, while reading Vit's blog, I noticed that after installing a PRL Downpipe on his test mule, he saw an immediate increase in boost. Is there any point to this though, when such an increase in boost can also be had by using KTuner/Hondata? I understand that the combo of all of these combined could increase boost far more than any one alone, but it seems like a tune alone can already max the turbo/engine out to the safe limit. And for that matter, by what mechanism does an e-tune increase boost? I can certainly understand how a larger diameter pipe could increase airflow, but I don't yet understand how a tune also accomplishes this?

Apologies in advance for my ignorance.
Sponsored

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
The Civic uses an electronic boost control system factory. It can decide how long to keep the turbo spooling with the electronic wastegate.

Yes, you can add boost mechanically by tampering with the intake/exhaust system on older cars with no boost control system, but that is mostly a by-product of the flow changing and not the actual goal.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Civic uses an electronic boost control system factory. It can decide how long to keep the turbo spooling with the electronic wastegate.

Yes, you can add boost mechanically by tampering with the intake/exhaust system on older cars with no boost control system, but that is mostly a by-product of the flow changing and not the actual goal.
Would putting an intake/front pipe have any power benefits on our car outside of the incidental increase in boost then?

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All turbo cars have some mechanism for limiting boost, via a wastegate, in order to protect the engine and turbo. A wastegate is simply an exhaust valve when open, diverts some of the exhaust stream away from the turbine, or hot side. The wastegate can be controlled manually, basically with a ball an spring valve plumbed to the compressor, or IC piping, or electronically.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All turbo cars have some mechanism for limiting boost, via a wastegate, in order to protect the engine and turbo. A wastegate is simply an exhaust valve when open, diverts some of the exhaust stream away from the turbine, or hot side. The wastegate can be controlled manually, basically with a ball an spring valve plumbed to the compressor, or IC piping, or electronically.
So in the case of our electronically controlled wastegate, what would be the benefit of adding an intake/front/down pipe? I could see why a CAI might help with air temp, but with boost controlled electronically, would the larger diameter piping do anything?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I think about it this way. You can only inhale as much as you can exhale. If you cant push the exhaust gasses out fast enough you can't intake more air.

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So in the case of our electronically controlled wastegate, what would be the benefit of adding an intake/front/down pipe? I could see why a CAI might help with air temp, but with boost controlled electronically, would the larger diameter piping do anything?
There would likely be some gains with a downpipe, cat-back etc. You'd also get more gains from an ECU upgrade with these mods. I'm skeptical of intake mods, CAIs etc; I'd want to see actual dyno numbers first.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Stating it very basically, increasing pipe size increases airflow. If you have larger pipes, even at the same boost pressure, the system can flow more cubic feet per minute of air.

Turbocharging is more efficient when kept within a certain pressure ratio between the intake and the exhaust. So you cant just go changing every pipe out for something huge and expect gains simply from that.
Sponsored