Putty for holding dashcam wire in place.

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm installing a Garmin Mini 2. I don't want to get into hard-wiring or removing panels. My 2019 hatchback has a nice little gap along the ceiling and side panel where I can run the USB cable. The gap is deep enough to hide the cable but not to keep it tightly in place. My plan is to use something like the product below to put a few spot holds along the run. When I tested it worked fine, but I'm concerned about how it will handle high temperature in hot weather. Will it get all gooey, for instance. Can anyone suggest a different product or approach, aside from removing panels.
Thanks.

It's the standard kind of removable poster putty but in black to be less noticeable.
Honda Civic 10th gen Putty for holding dashcam wire in place. UHU Tac
Sponsored

Tonycivicboi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I use scotch tape

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Try color matching (painters?) tape or if the crevice is deep enough try colored tubing big enough to hold it in. Most putty will be a mess to clean up.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm able to route the cable on my dash cam in between the A-pillar and windshield. A small section of the cable is visible where the pillar meets the dashboard where it wrapsaround. Then I tuck the cable around and under the rubber seal of the door frame, and under the dash to the fuse box where I plug it into the OBD-II connector for power. I didn't need to use anything else to hold the cable in place.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Try color matching (painters?) tape or if the crevice is deep enough try colored tubing big enough to hold it in. Most putty will be a mess to clean up.
I see they do have black and gray painter's tape. That might work, although it's intended to be removed within a week or two. I don't know what it would do if left on permanently, especially in the hot interior.

I neglected to say that I wouldn't put the poster adhesive all along the cable -- it would just be a small dab in a few spots, three or five at most. You're right that it could be a mess but it would be a very limited one.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm able to route the cable on my dash cam in between the A-pillar and windshield. A small section of the cable is visible where the pillar meets the dashboard where it wrapsaround. Then I tuck the cable around and under the rubber seal of the door frame, and under the dash to the fuse box where I plug it into the OBD-II connector for power. I didn't need to use anything else to hold the cable in place.
I can also feed it along there. I'm surprised yours stays in place -- maybe you have a slightly deeper groove. The problem with mine is that the cable was wrapped in small loops in the package and it wants to hold that shape. So when I tuck in more than a foot or so it pops back out. It's virtually invisible when it's there but it won't stay in on its own. That's why I was thinking of a few spots of the stuff in the first post.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Might try a hair dryer (low to moderate heat) on the cable laid out flatto see if it'll straighten the kinks out.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I wouldn't use any sort of putty because it might leech out a little residue, and the headliner would absorb it and it might show through.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Might try a hair dryer (low to moderate heat) on the cable laid out flatto see if it'll straighten the kinks out.
That's an interesting idea. If the cable behaved it might stay in place without any assistance.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I wouldn't use any sort of putty because it might leech out a little residue, and the headliner would absorb it and it might show through.
Yeah, especially in the summer heat.
I need something that's a little sticky but also stable.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Really and truly, removing the pillar plastic is stupid easy.. I promise. 😇😎

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Really and truly, removing the pillar plastic is stupid easy.. I promise. 😇😎
Maybe I'll try. I'm about as handy as a fish though. If there's a way to botch it I can probably find it.
It has to go along the top of the windshield too. I don't think I'd chance pulling down the top.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Yo
Maybe I'll try. I'm about as handy as a fish though. If there's a way to botch it I can probably find it.
It has to go along the top of the windshield too. I don't think I'd chance pulling down the top.
U actually don't need to pull down any top, the wire actually tucks in there so nicely, it's ridiculous. I even set mine like a full inch deep and is still no issue getting it there or it moving afterwards. Just remember to put the wire BEHIND the airbags in pillar near door, going down into the dash.. very very easy too, only one screw locks down trim. The bottom dash trim also just pops off with a bit of tugging from bottom towards the seat, and pops back in just as easily. I actually hardwired mine with converter and add-a-fuze kit and Honda Tech complimented the work, asking details (I provided you) so they could do it themselves.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Yo

U actually don't need to pull down any top, the wire actually tucks in there so nicely, it's ridiculous. I even set mine like a full inch deep and is still no issue getting it there or it moving afterwards. Just remember to put the wire BEHIND the airbags in pillar near door, going down into the dash.. very very easy too, only one screw locks down trim. The bottom dash trim also just pops off with a bit of tugging from bottom towards the seat, and pops back in just as easily. I actually hardwired mine with converter and add-a-fuze kit and Honda Tech complimented the work, asking details (I provided you) so they could do it themselves.
Thanks, I'll try it.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I ran the line as suggested by bcrichster above and it works. There is indeed plenty of room along the top to tuck in the line. Less so along the side pillar -- it had a slight tendency to lean out so I put a single half-inch piece of black tape in the middle. It's virtually invisible and keeps it in place so far.

The only problem I have now is removing the dashcam from the mount. It's in there really tight. I took it out and replaced it once before I mounted it, but it required so much pressure that I fear it will detach the mount from the windshield when I do it now. I'll probably post on a Garmin website for any trick to that.

Thanks for all the advice.
Sponsored