snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 Porsche 911, 90 BMW 325iX, 21 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
Literally put the plates on yesterday and was coming back home going over the George Washington bridge from NYC to Nj. 5 mins from home an RV in the lane next to me, about 2 cars ahead dropped some metal object, bounced and i drove over it. Happened so quick i had no reaction time....luckily my sister driving behind me was able to dodge it.

The Civic has 900 miles, and almost immediately the oil light came on, so i pulled over and shut the car off. No visible body damage aside from a small scuff underneath the front lip....but as you can see in the pics, the belly pan peeled open like a soda can. Hoping the damages aren’t too extensive...there could be more im not seeing

Just glad it didn’t bounce into our windshield

Honda Civic 10th gen Punctured oil pan and heavy undercarriage damage on my new 2021 civic DE45021D-6E3D-4F37-99F7-02E73593EDF9

Honda Civic 10th gen Punctured oil pan and heavy undercarriage damage on my new 2021 civic B25C77B0-A86F-4243-B4A8-49D06A89176B

Honda Civic 10th gen Punctured oil pan and heavy undercarriage damage on my new 2021 civic 8749FC5D-FB12-4D78-8464-B85B9D64C291

OP
OP
snwmble

snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Take off that cover/shield and then you can see the extent of the damage.
i thought about towing it to the house and tackling the fix myself but the oily mess, on top of the fact that several other things towards the back might be damaged.....i opted to just have it towed to the dealer. Luckily my insurance is covering the repair under comprehensive....or i def would’ve had it towed home

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Similar thing happen to me. Work truck dropped his top box on the free way was able to avoid it but when it hit the concrete it exploded sending tools everywhere and I ended up running over a tool gave me a flat rear driver-side tire and made a 8in gash on my rear bumper. Sadly my insurance covered under this under collision because “it was an avoidable incident”. I was pretty livid because if it was avoidable I would have surly avoided it. So my insurance renews next month waiting to see this damn premium increase I’ll be seeing

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Similar thing happen to me. Work truck dropped his top box on the free way was able to avoid it but when it hit the concrete it exploded sending tools everywhere and I ended up running over a tool gave me a flat rear driver-side tire and made a 8in gash on my rear bumper. Sadly my insurance covered under this under collision because “it was an avoidable incident”. I was pretty livid because if it was avoidable I would have surly avoided it. So my insurance renews next month waiting to see this damn premium increase I’ll be seeing
What insurance company was this?

OP
OP
snwmble

snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
damn that sucks. I don't see how that was "avoidable"....i'd be ripping them a new one if they tried to pull that on me.

Car is being inspected as we speak....spoke to the insurance adjuster and noted that i want any cosmetic damaged splashshields etc replaced. The dealer is going to bring in their body guy to inspect the undercarriage too, in the event there is bodywork that needs to be done underneath.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
What insurance company was this?
USAA, I already have low rates so I’m not so bothered by it thankfully, more like an annoyance. I still wouldn’t swap insurance though, even that it was filed as collision they still took very good care of me.

edit: just saw the projected premium for the next 6 months, only went up $78

FK7DEMON

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Sorry this happened to you. Earlier this month an F-350 tire&wheel came into my lane. Legit happened right in front of me. I feel your pain to an extent. Your damage beats mine for sure.

OP
OP
snwmble

snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry this happened to you. Earlier this month an F-350 tire&wheel came into my lane. Legit happened right in front of me. I feel your pain to an extent. Your damage beats mine for sure.
yeah prior to the pandemic, i was averaging 30K miles/yr for my commute (for the last 13yrs)....and every car i've owned i had to replace my windshield not even from tailgating. The interstate i drive on daily is filled with dump trucks, and they do not follow protocol at all with overloading their loads. Not to mention the rock chips....so it became the norm to clear bra all my cars upon purchase.

OP
OP
snwmble

snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
finally got the car back. Had in total $2300 in repairs, $1700 of which was replacement of oil pan, underbody belly pan (damn that part is expensive), 4 wheel alignment.....then an additional $600 on the front lip, grill & misc plastics underneath.

From what i can see it looks good under there....and if anything the realignment translated into a much tighter steering feel (maybe placebo).

Good to have it back.

Honda Civic 10th gen Punctured oil pan and heavy undercarriage damage on my new 2021 civic 4B27DA15-CA60-46DF-AD33-E3FE44F3AFCF