Possible cvt issue?

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Well I never had the highway surging but on heavy braking there was a bit of jerking from the transmission, which is perhaps what some here were reporting as well. I just pulled the battery cable and I'll let it sit for a little while before reconnecting and taking for a spin.

I don't know about the 2016 Civc in particular, but in other vehicles, they have systems that "learn" the driving style and slightly tailor shift points, acceleration curves, etc to how you normally drive. Pulling the battery in these systems usually resets them and they start the learning process over. My guess is that perhaps as part of the factory testing or programming, it picked up a nasty habit, which gets cleared out of memory with a battery reset.
It's possible. I have seen dealers handling the cars in the worst manner.
Sponsored

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I never had the highway surging but on heavy braking there was a bit of jerking from the transmission, which is perhaps what some here were reporting as well. I just pulled the battery cable and I'll let it sit for a little while before reconnecting and taking for a spin.

I don't know about the 2016 Civc in particular, but in other vehicles, they have systems that "learn" the driving style and slightly tailor shift points, acceleration curves, etc to how you normally drive. Pulling the battery in these systems usually resets them and they start the learning process over. My guess is that perhaps as part of the factory testing or programming, it picked up a nasty habit, which gets cleared out of memory with a battery reset.
Maybe so. And I hope you are right because at this point in time I hate the transmission in this car.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Did you just pull the negative cable or both? And have you noticed a difference after you did this?

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Did you just pull the negative cable or both? And have you noticed a difference after you did this?
Pulled the positive only, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then took it for a drive. It seems a bit smoother on acceleration, but there's still a little jerkiness when coming to a hard stop - I think that's just how the transmission is.

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pulled the positive only, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then took it for a drive. It seems a bit smoother on acceleration, but there's still a little jerkiness when coming to a hard stop - I think that's just how the transmission is.
I feel jerkiness when coming slowly to a stop and even when i'm coasting to a stop i feel it.
i'm wondering if disconnecting both positive and negative and leaving it for like half hour
will make a difference.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Hi. What I know is that you should take both apart starting with taking negative off first and then positive. Again putting back put positive back to battery first and then negative. Take the cables off for 10 min. I think that's what dealer told me and did it.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi. What I know is that you should take both apart starting with taking negative off first and then positive. Again putting back put positive back to battery first and then negative. Take the cables off for 10 min. I think that's what dealer told me and did it.
As long as you break the circuit, it shouldn't much matter. I'll try it one more time with both cables tomorrow but the car definitely lost power as the radio and several other systems needed to be reinitialized.

I should also probably add that despite the one tech who said this was a problem (who also said he got the car up to 7k RPM), I'm fairly convinced this is just how the transmission is. As I said before, I have no idea how other people's transmission feels but, to me, the slight jerk on a hard stop happens even on my PDK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really hope disconnecting the battery
Solves my issue because if it doesn't I made
A big mistake buying this vehicle. It's not only when I'm hitting the breaks it's also when I'm coasting to a stop it happens. And it's not just one little jerk. Sometimes it two or three. Also when I put the car in drive I need to really wait for the transmission to settle or it will be so jerky and kinda jump forward a little bit.

j_illang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
I really hope disconnecting the battery
Solves my issue because if it doesn't I made
A big mistake buying this vehicle. It's not only when I'm hitting the breaks it's also when I'm coasting to a stop it happens. And it's not just one little jerk. Sometimes it two or three. Also when I put the car in drive I need to really wait for the transmission to settle or it will be so jerky and kinda jump forward a little bit.
I think this is normal. Feels like a car that is downshifting when you coast to a stop. The jerk is noticeable but makes me feel like I'm in a racing car

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think this is normal. Feels like a car that is downshifting when you coast to a stop. The jerk is noticeable but makes me feel like I'm in a racing car
Feels like an clunker to me. But to each his own.

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Honestly I get no downshift feeling whatsoever coasting or slow braking in Drive. Definitely no jerks. I'm not sure it's quite as smooth outright being in neutral, but it's something close to that.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
same here, feels like its coasting with very little engine/transmission braking

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Yea I think you need to test drive another talk to the manager at dealership and they need to rectify the situation. NOT COOL!

OP
OP
domm92

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I think you need to test drive another talk to the manager at dealership and they need to rectify the situation. NOT COOL!
I drove about 20 minutes today and it was really jerky. I wish I can give the car back and get my money back at this point.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I drove about 20 minutes today and it was really jerky. I wish I can give the car back and get my money back at this point.
You drove your own car or another one?
Sponsored