Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Type R owners, can you help a prospective owner? I have a refundable deposit down on an incoming CTR. It should be delivered in a week or two. I am very excited about the car, but after I put the deposit down, I am getting something akin to a wedding day jitter.

This is the first time I am getting this feeling for a car, even though I have owned a countless number of cars in my life -- that's probably because I am buying a car without a test drive, which I never do (and swore never to do).

I have read all the reviews and watched all the Youtube videos relating to the car. As a result, I have no concern about the ride quality. The ride should be perfectly fine for me.

However, here are some of my lingering concerns.

1. How susceptible are the tires/wheels to damage on the road? I recognize that it depends largely on the quality of the road that I would drive on, and realize that even Lexus and BMW could get wheel or tire damage on a road full of potholes. However, I don't want to stare intensely for potholes non-stop on my commute, you know?

2. How much wind, road and tire noise might I expect? The reviews are somewhat all over the road; it must depend on what your expectations are and what you are comparing to.

To make this easier, if you have owned or driven a 9th gen Si, how does CTR compare to the Si in the above aspects? Feel free to use other cars as a bogey -- e.g., a 9th gen Accord, E36 M3, 10th gen (non-CTR) Civic, so on and so on.

Thanks for your help, and I hope to join y'all in this exclusive circle soon.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
1. How susceptible are the tires/wheels to damage on the road? I recognize that it depends largely on the quality of the road that I would drive on, and realize that even Lexus and BMW could get wheel or tire damage on a road full of potholes. However, I don't want to stare intensely for potholes non-stop on my commute, you know?

2. How much wind, road and tire noise might I expect? The reviews are somewhat all over the road; it must depend on what your expectations are and what you are comparing to.

To make this easier, if you have owned or driven a 9th gen Si, how does CTR compare to the Si in the above aspects? Feel free to use other cars as a bogey -- e.g., a 9th gen Accord, E36 M3, 10th gen (non-CTR) Civic, so on and so on.

Thanks for your help, and I hope to join y'all in this exclusive circle soon.
1. Depends on the roads you live on. Around here roads aren't great and i know of some who has damaged their wheels. I have been fine so far except for one nail in the tire which can happen anywhere.
2. I drive with the windows down usually so i'm not all that sensitive to noise. It's not the quietest thing in the world with the windows up but it's not bad by any means.

I had a supercharged 9th gen SI and the wind noise is similiar to the 9th gen. It's still pretty quiet but not pitch silent like my moms NX300.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
Pick up the tire/wheel insurance for $300 and drive the heck out of the car. Yes they are way too large for daily driving but its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Are you in MA or TX?

I drive mine daily on terrible MA/NH roads and its fine. Its smooth as butter compared to my STI.

I was able to test drive mine but only after most of the paperwork was done. I'm sure your dealer will do the same. As long as the test drive ends in either you hate the car or you sign the paperwork you should be fine.

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
To answer your questions:

1. Tire damage is always a risk you have when you drive in less than ideal roads combined worth an ultra thin profile tire. Only you will know what your roads are like. Buy the tire and wheel protection package and call it a day. Familiarize yourself with the roads you drive on and you will know where to avoid potholes and big bumps and ruts in the road. Obviously you won’t know all the gotchas on unfamiliar roads but at least have some level of heightened awareness. If in doubt downsize to 18” tires and move up a few profiles to give you more sidewall.

2. Stock tires noise isn’t bad. Compared to other cars and trucks I have driven I do t really notice it or it doesn’t bother me. I have older Civic Si cars and the CTR is definitely noisier but not in a bad or annoying way.

My recommendation: buy the car. It has more pros than cons (just my opinion) and it is nothing like the Civic Si as far as handling and power is concerned. It is like the Si on steroids!

I have ZERO regrets buying the CTR even though it will cost me a fortune in rubber and will probably spend more time parked than it does on the road. Love almost everything about it.

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pick up the tire/wheel insurance for $300 and drive the heck out of the car. Yes they are way too large for daily driving but its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Are you in MA or TX?

I drive mine daily on terrible MA/NH roads and its fine. Its smooth as butter compared to my STI.

I was able to test drive mine but only after most of the paperwork was done. I'm sure your dealer will do the same. As long as the test drive ends in either you hate the car or you sign the paperwork you should be fine.
I am in Southeast MA at the moment. The roads not perfect around here, but certainly not horrible compared to other states. Thanks.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Go drive a Sport Touring (or even one of the 6MT Sport hatches). It's very similar to the TypeR in Comfort mode. Actually, I'd say the steering is even lighter on the CTR in comfort mode. Otherwise, wind/road noise should be similar.

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you ever get up north of Boston or near NH I'll be happy to show you mine.
Your kindness is tempting me . . . . . :)

BTW, if you have a friend who wants a CTR, there is a 2018 rally red CTR sitting at Dover Honda for $2,000 ADM (or less, I suppose). Just got there last week.

mathewp

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW Civic Type R, Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I live in MA in a town with one of the worst possible roads. I pretty much have to drive in Comfort mode till I get to reasonable quality roads. But where the road is decent the Type R is a blast but if most of the road is pothole laden like near my house it is a chore to drive as I am pretty sure going over one of them at 35-40 miles/hour will for sure get a tire/wheel damage.

But this is my third car. If I have to drive this car exclusively then I would have no choice but to change the wheels/tires to something more reasonable for the road conditions around here. Lack of spare is another thing that reduces the confidence of going for long drives.

My only complaint for CTR is lack of wheel/tire options. I wished they had given at least one other all-season/19" wheel option from factory to save $s to consumers who don't track it often.

But just to say again "car is fun to drive ".

Hope that helps.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I am in Southeast MA at the moment. The roads not perfect around here, but certainly not horrible compared to other states. Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, my man. I had no idea what to expect when I ponied up for mine and I have no regrets. Best driving car I've ever owned and that includes a Skyline GT-R (which had badly tuned/blown coilovers so that probably means nothing), a Lotus Elise, and an Integra Type R. I doubt you'll be in my neck of the woods before taking delivery but if you do make it down to Dallas, I'll take you for a spin :)

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about it too much, my man. I had no idea what to expect when I ponied up for mine and I have no regrets. Best driving car I've ever owned and that includes a Skyline GT-R (which had badly tuned/blown coilovers so that probably means nothing), a Lotus Elise, and an Integra Type R. I doubt you'll be in my neck of the woods before taking delivery but if you do make it down to Dallas, I'll take you for a spin :)
Your are right, I am probably overthinking this. Thanks for your offer. I am jealous that you are enjoying warm weather. I can only wish I can get down to Dallas again! I miss Dallas -- it is one of my all-time favorite cities in the US.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Your are right, I am probably overthinking this. Thanks for your offer. I am jealous that you are enjoying warm weather. I can only wish I can get down to Dallas again! I miss Dallas -- it is one of my all-time favorite cities in the US.
I wish it was warm. I woke up to 40° this morning when I was getting ready to go to work :confused:
Sponsored