OP
OP

MarkSi

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mustang GT (twin turbo)
Country flag
Here's the thing. It's really a question of what you're after. For example, the combo of a CAI and exhaust. You're mostly getting sound with this and maybe a touch more power/throttle response. For the same price (or less) a KTuner or Flashpro will give your car a big bump in power and driveability and the base tunes have proven safe.

The thing with the tuning especially with KTuner is how easy it is to tweak settings and how many cool features you get. It's not just the basics like removing rev hang or the speed limiter or upping boost. You can tweak turbo and throttle response, have boost by gear, improve on the stock VSA system and a lot more. You can even have multiple tune maps with different psi all switchable with the cc buttons (KTuner).

No single performance mod comes close. As far as engine longevity, too early to tell. I mean sure there has to be some additional wear and tear. But, we have people here with over 80,000 tuned miles with no issues. Honda's stock tune is ultra conservative and if you want a real bump in power, a tune is the way to go.

You don't even have to add more boost to get better performance. Just by removing rev hang and maybe tweaking throttle response and turbo ramp, the car will drive noticeably better.

On the other hand, the Si is a great car right out of the box, no doubt. If you want to play if 100% safe, just keep the powertrain stock and stick to cosmetic and suspension mods.
Awesome! Thanks. I knew tuners were the way to go but I didn't realize the potential customization you can get out of them. As long as I'm not pushing the engine to the point that it's going to fail in half the time it would have without any mods then I'm happy. I will probably get the tuner in the next month
Sponsored

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Awesome! Thanks. I knew tuners were the way to go but I didn't realize the potential customization you can get out of them. As long as I'm not pushing the engine to the point that it's going to fail in half the time it would have without any mods then I'm happy. I will probably get the tuner in the next month
Since you said in your original post you wanted to go with Hondata, I thought I'd chime in as well lol. Hondata is also very good. I've had my car tuned since about the 3rd month of owning the car. A friend and I adjusted my boost lvls n such so I wouldn't slip my clutch. I'm pushing 25psi on the car, but we minimized the amount of boost/torque under 3k rpm so it wouldn't slip. If you've never tuned a car before I'd suggest doing some research on other peoples tunes and kinda base yours off that.. But also, you can use their base +6psi or +9psi. I'm using the +9psi with our tweaking.. Just keep in mind not every engine is the same. Some may hold 300+ hp/trq, and others blow before even reaching that. I don't mean to scare you off lol, just be safe with the tune and don't push the car more than it can handle. Good luck OP:headbang:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Hey thanks for the in-depth reply. I'm taking everything into consideration, however I am fairly certain the cold air intake, exhaust, and shifter are on my list now.
The real answer is get all the mods.

For reals though. If you get an intake make sure to get something from PRL or 27Won. They are the safest and most well designed options on the market. No gimmicks, no cut corners, no fuel trim issues.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The real answer is get all the mods.
Sounds good on paper but you can't just do full bolt ons using a base map and expect great results. You need a custom tune to do it right.

All that is a big investment. That's why I mentioned a base tune as the best single performance mod to start out.

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I’m sorry if this seems like I’m hijacking this thread but since we’re discussing Ktuner benefits and what not. I see you guys talking about the base map that comes preloaded on, does that tune work fine with all stock internals? No need to upgrade clutch? Inter cooler? Etc... I really want Ktuner because I hear of the instant benefits but I don’t plan to do much else than add an exhaust, CAI, and some suspension mods. Thanks for anyone’s input on this :)

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I’m sorry if this seems like I’m hijacking this thread but since we’re discussing Ktuner benefits and what not. I see you guys talking about the base map that comes preloaded on, does that tune work fine with all stock internals? No need to upgrade clutch? Inter cooler? Etc... I really want Ktuner because I hear of the instant benefits but I don’t plan to do much else than add an exhaust, CAI, and some suspension mods. Thanks for anyone’s input on this :)
I ran tsp stage 1 tune for 6k miles before I upgraded the turbo with no issues and no clutch slippage. I believe the base maps are even more conservative than the TSP tunes, so I think you’ll be fine.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The base tunes were designed on a stock setup and have proven very reliable. You certainly can upgrade your clutch and intercooler but they aren't mandatory by any means. Feel free to check out my tuning reliability survey.

Last edited:

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I ran tsp stage 1 tune for 6k miles before I upgraded the turbo with no issues and no clutch slippage. I believe the base maps are even more conservative than the TSP tunes, so I think you’ll be fine.
Cool, good to know! Thanks!

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The base tunes were designed on a stock setup and have proven very reliable. You certainly can upgrade your clutch and intercooler but they aren't mandatory by any means. Feel free to check out my tuning reliability survey.
Thanks for your input! I’ll check the survey out, I didn’t know it was a thing lol. That’s awesome though

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your input! I’ll check the survey out, I didn’t know it was a thing lol. That’s awesome though
Yep, it's a thing and I think a valuable one for the community. I just wish more tuned CivicX'ers would contribute but I appreciate everyone who's added a survey.

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yep, it's a thing and I think a valuable one for the community. I just wish more tuned CivicX'ers would contribute but I appreciate everyone who's added a survey.
I agree with you, it is valuable. This website alone is super helpful for me. My 2020 Si is my first turbo’d car that I actually want to modify performance and cosmetic wise and i’ve learned so much on here. I wasn’t too sure about owning a Civic because there are a lot of people that give it a bad rep but so far the community has been great. Awesome car too, for the price you get a lot imo. Of course there are things I would change about it but there is no perfect car. I come from a 2007 Toyota corolla that was automatic. The technology and performance difference is huge Lol. I almost bought a WRX instead of the Si, I test drove both and I don’t regret my decision one bit.

OP
OP

MarkSi

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mustang GT (twin turbo)
Country flag
I almost bought a WRX instead of the Si, I test drove both and I don’t regret my decision one bit.
That's crazy you said you were about to buy a WRX. Before I got my 2020 Si, I literally had a down payment on a WRX . . . wonder how many others are in this boat :rolleyes:

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Sounds good on paper but you can't just do full bolt ons using a base map and expect great results. You need a custom tune to do it right.

All that is a big investment. That's why I mentioned a base tune as the best single performance mod to start out.
I think he was just being facetious / hyperbolic
That's crazy you said you were about to buy a WRX. Before I got my 2020 Si, I literally had a down payment on a WRX . . . wonder how many others are in this boat :rolleyes:
what made you change your mind?

I love the look of them, but I was too frightened off when I kept seeing videos that their engines aren’t known for going very much longer than 100k miles.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
me:thumbsup: I test drove them back to back within like 30 min, expecting the civic to be the slower gas friendly choice but after driving them I chose the si in an instant
Sponsored