First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Hi all,

This topic probably has been discussed before but didn’t find any specifics to my situation.

WhenI turn on the AC on some occasions there would be a short squeal when turning on. after that the squeal doesn’t appear anymore. Sound like the condenser turning on when that happens.

It doesn’t happen all the time. But does so every so often. Question is should I got to the dealer to have them check it out. Or is this normal since our ACs are pretty crappy?

thanks
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Does the squeak sound like a tea pot steam whistle ONLY when you turn the a/c on for the first time? Or is it a squeak that happens every time the a/c is turned on during a single drive cycle, multiple times during one driving event?

OP
OP
OldMansTypeR

OldMansTypeR

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Does the squeak sound like a tea pot steam whistle ONLY when you turn the a/c on for the first time? Or is it a squeak that happens every time the a/c is turned on during a single drive cycle, multiple times during one driving event?
itdoes somewhat remember a tea pot boil sounds. Kinda of like belt squealing sounds too.

it only happens when you turn it on. it stops and does not make anymore sounds after that.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
But if you turn it off and back on again, does it squeal again? If so, it probably is the belt squealing, either because it is worn, or because the compressor has a lot of resistance.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
itdoes somewhat remember a tea pot boil sounds. Kinda of like belt squealing sounds too.

it only happens when you turn it on. it stops and does not make anymore sounds after that.
Then you have a low refrigerant charge in the system, you have a possible leak somewhere.

OP
OP
OldMansTypeR

OldMansTypeR

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
But if you turn it off and back on again, does it squeal again? If so, it probably is the belt squealing, either because it is worn, or because the compressor has a lot of resistance.
If I turn it off and on again a bit later it does not always squeal. It does it sometimes but not all the time.

OP
OP
OldMansTypeR

OldMansTypeR

First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Then you have a low refrigerant charge in the system, you have a possible leak somewhere.
Is there anyway for me to check if there is a leak. Or do you recommend I go back to the dealer. Only issue is that I don’t know when the AC will squeal or. It when you turn it on. It doesn’t happen all the time.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there anyway for me to check if there is a leak. Or do you recommend I go back to the dealer. Only issue is that I don’t know when the AC will squeal or. It when you turn it on. It doesn’t happen all the time.
Take it to the dealer, if you have a 21 CTR like in your signature then you are under warranty, why mess with it yourself?
Sponsored