Need opinions

Upstop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Si Coupe / 12 Altima Coupe / 02 CBR 954RR
Country flag
Have a 2020 Si Coupe. Trying to decide if I want to get a spare tire kit or full size spare. What have you guys done? Don't like not having a spare. Also where have you guys bought a spare OEM wheel or spare tire kit at the cheapest price. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I would be way more concerned that Honda thought that for 2020 it would be appropriate to pump in exhaust noise into the stereo! No spare is a close second fail ... But ... What kind of a caulking bass mole at Honda is responsible for that??? I would love to know...

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The dealership can order the spare tire kit. It’s pretty pricey considering you not only need the wheel, and tire, but the housing it all rests in your trunk.
Personally I over the years I have had two flat tires in my 20+ years of driving. So I feel like it’s worth saving the weight and space.

Razzak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wait you don't have a spare in your 2020? wtf? My 2020 Si Coupe has one ..

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Wait you don't have a spare in your 2020? wtf? My 2020 Si Coupe has one ..
As far as I know, the Canadian verisons have spare tire kits (along with a few other things) but the US models do not

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as I know, the Canadian verisons have spare tire kits (along with a few other things) but the US models do not
they know our roads suck more so we are more likely to get a flat tire
:rolleyes1:
i had an 8th, a 9th and 2x 10th gen civics, and i must say i had flat tires with every one of them except my 2020...YET!
8th gen twice, 9th gen once and my first 10th gen once.

sguler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Sport Plus
Country flag
this is something I`m considering as well. I`m currently driving the car in short distances in the city but I have plan to do Euro Trip with my civic once the covid settles down.

if we put or can we put full spare? and how is the trunk floor will be? is it going to be flat?

TiltCtrls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I purchased the spare tire kit separately in my 2020 civic si coupe for about $231 at bkhondaparts. I bought the spare tire at the dealership since I couldn't find it elsewhere. You lose about 2-3 inches in the trunk with the kit but there is a lot of space left in the truck. I think getting the full sized tire would take up too much space and the floor wouldn't be flat since you don't have the extra padding on the sides of the tire. I probably spent around $300 for the entire spare tire set.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I purchased the spare tire kit separately in my 2020 civic si coupe for about $231 at bkhondaparts. I bought the spare tire at the dealership since I couldn't find it elsewhere. You lose about 2-3 inches in the trunk with the kit but there is a lot of space left in the truck. I think getting the full sized tire would take up too much space and the floor wouldn't be flat since you don't have the extra padding on the sides of the tire. I probably spent around $300 for the entire spare tire set.
I opted to get the factory spare tire kit. Some people go the route of getting a donut spare tire and jack from a scrap yard but for my Type R there were fitment issues on the front due to the calipers if you use another manufacturers donut tire so I went with a stock kit. Type Rs also have a different wheel bolt pattern so finding the correct set up is more difficult. As your car is an Si you could probably find a whole spare tire kit from a scrapped car. If you can get the trunk floor as well that would be good because it comes with spacer blocks underneath for the areas around the spare tire for support.

As TiltCtrls said you lose a few inches of truck space height with the donut so a full sized spare will make the trunk floor even higher. My floor with the donut spare tire is almost level to the rear lip of the trunk opening, keeping in mind my car is a hatchback as yours may be different.

Looking online some places seem cheaper but the shipping kills any savings. When I looked a couple years ago I remembered I found a cheap place out of state that was in some sort of group of dealerships. There was a link on that site that showed other dealerships in that group and I found a local dealership that was in that group that had much cheaper prices than the dealership I bought my car from. I don’t remember what link but it was in the spare tire thread for Type R owners and I dug around the website to find the other dealers.

Just call around the local dealers and see if you can get a comparable price to an online cheap price or see if the local dealers can price match. Or get a used set up.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Canadian 20 Si here, yes it came with a spare tire kit. I took it off and left it at home for two reasons: weight reduction and I haven't gotten a flat since I first started driving

OP
OP
Upstop

Upstop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I opted to get the factory spare tire kit. Some people go the route of getting a donut spare tire and jack from a scrap yard but for my Type R there were fitment issues on the front due to the calipers if you use another manufacturers donut tire so I went with a stock kit. Type Rs also have a different wheel bolt pattern so finding the correct set up is more difficult. As your car is an Si you could probably find a whole spare tire kit from a scrapped car. If you can get the trunk floor as well that would be good because it comes with spacer blocks underneath for the areas around the spare tire for support.

As TiltCtrls said you lose a few inches of truck space height with the donut so a full sized spare will make the trunk floor even higher. My floor with the donut spare tire is almost level to the rear lip of the trunk opening, keeping in mind my car is a hatchback as yours may be different.

Looking online some places seem cheaper but the shipping kills any savings. When I looked a couple years ago I remembered I found a cheap place out of state that was in some sort of group of dealerships. There was a link on that site that showed other dealerships in that group and I found a local dealership that was in that group that had much cheaper prices than the dealership I bought my car from. I don’t remember what link but it was in the spare tire thread for Type R owners and I dug around the website to find the other dealers.

Just call around the local dealers and see if you can get a comparable price to an online cheap price or see if the local dealers can price match. Or get a used set up.
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
Upstop

Upstop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.
Sponsored