First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX 2.0L CVT
Country flag
Hi friends,

I bought a used 2017 civic last Dec, some items upon delivery were missing like a fuse box cover and some clips, it was disclosed to me that it has 1 accident on record. Still bought it anyways, thankfully no huge issues.

However, about 6 months after, I realized the A/C was not working (heater worked throughout winter, I did not/could not test the A/C before I bought it). When I turn it on, it's basically no different from just having the fan on. Not cold at all- nothing happened even after a couple of hours, no cold air.

I take it to the mechanic, after looking closely some of wiring in the front was a bit weird (1 of the wires weren't connected to anything) but he said the A/C should be connected properly. Also might add that the accident reported was:
- Police reported accident, "severe damage"
- Vehicle ran off road
- Damage to front
Nothing else - no insurance claim, nothing

There was nothing on the Carfax saying it was taken in for the A/C recall repair under warranty, and even on the vehicle information under "repairs required" the air conditioner was checked off as no.

I asked the sales rep I worked with and he told me I can bring it to any dealer to get it fixed under warranty, to which my mechanic said it wouldn't be covered because of my accident. I'm planning to call the dealer again and see if they can cover it for me because the vehicle info sheet didn't say that the A/C required repairs, but it isn't even working.

Do you think they would be able to fix it for free? What should I do?
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
It’s really dependent on the dealer. Some won’t give you shit about it. Some will reject it. You won’t know until they inspect it. The first thing you should do is go on Honda.com, and type in your vin to check if it falls under the extended warranty.

a car being in an accident doesn’t mean much if the part wasn’t directly affected because of it. They would have to prove that accident led to something not working.

some one hit you and broke your Taillight would have nothing to do with power seats not working. The accident itself has to lead to that failure.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
There's still a lot of questions, IMO.

I think the confusion that you have re: warranty is due to the condenser recall for these cars. But that warranty does not cover accident damage.

I suppose if there was not a claim made to an insurance company; then there would be no declaration of the car being 'totaled' or 'salvage' on the title or Carfax.

I'm not saying that this is, in fact, the case. And I'm aware that you're not in the US. But this video may shed some light on the situation. I wish you the best getting it sorted out.

OP
OP

mike.liu3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s really dependent on the dealer. Some won’t give you shit about it. Some will reject it. You won’t know until they inspect it. The first thing you should do is go on Honda.com, and type in your vin to check if it falls under the extended warranty.

a car being in an accident doesn’t mean much if the part wasn’t directly affected because of it. They would have to prove that accident led to something not working.

some one hit you and broke your Taillight would have nothing to do with power seats not working. The accident itself has to lead to that failure.
Thanks for your advice, do you know where the extended warranty VIN check website would be? I can't seem to find it but i'll keep looking

OP
OP

mike.liu3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's still a lot of questions, IMO.

I think the confusion that you have re: warranty is due to the condenser recall for these cars. But that warranty does not cover accident damage.

I suppose if there was not a claim made to an insurance company; then there would be no declaration of the car being 'totaled' or 'salvage' on the title or Carfax.

I'm not saying that this is, in fact, the case. And I'm aware that you're not in the US. But this video may shed some light on the situation. I wish you the best getting it sorted out.

No claim, no declaration of any salvage/rebuilt/totaled status, just a police-reported thing with damage to front.

OP
OP

mike.liu3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE - Condenser replaced under warranty and dealer noted that the "ambient air temperature" wire was found hanging out of car with no connection, and multiple wires are soldered together. Further diag would cost me more to pay the dealer, hoping to resolve the wiring thing with my mechanic or a friend. Fingers crossed it works for good afterwards!
Sponsored