My first fill up- MPG

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
When do you all fill up? I filled up when it said 100 miles remaining and it held around 7.5 gallons. That would put me at around 28 MPG. I know that isn't right because I've driven it very gently with ECON off. I've driven over 300 miles and it says my overall mileage is 27.9. What's going on? How many miles does it take for the MPG to be accurate on the display?

I should note that this is a mix of country back roads/highway/interstate driving. Very little city traffic, just a few red lights with gentle acceleration.

This is an EX-T sedan.
Sponsored

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are idling a lot, that could be the reason why you have such low numbers.

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
You know, I am an idiot. I left my car running a couple times for my wife and young son while I got groceries since it was hot out. I didn't even think of that, I was more concerned since I was driving it so gently. Next time I'll just park in the shade and put the windows down. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be getting 46mpg if this tank continues. Just setting CC at 65 and accelerating briskly up to speed does wonders. I'm already over 200 miles into this tank, and it says around 215 left till empty. Gonna try to push 500 miles out of this tank.

[Edit]: Getting 1-3mpg better in normal D mode than ECON. I haven't been able to figure out why. The ECU doesn't seem to change timing/gear ratios much between the two. More testing is needed. Maybe today I'll go out and do some A.B.A testing on a local straight stretch out here, and log RPM/timing/IAT/TPS with torque to see how CC acts in normal D vs ECON.

Last edited:

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
....throwing it in neutral on downhills and when stops are ahead...
You could google around for other discussions on this point. You may not be improving mpg by doing this and could be making it worse. With a low load and deceleration required, the engine can shut off the fuel. In neutral it has to send fuel to maintain idle and run the accessories.

dodger2710

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I'm not sure about you guys, but I drive 8 miles to work and back for a total of 16 miles a day Monday through Friday. I take the streets and as of now I'm averaging about 24 miles per gallon. I don't drive gard, but I gave yet to go more than 300 on a tank. I live in socal and don't use the ac much going to work and back, the car is parked on the weekends because I have a weekend car. Anybody else have similar results, I have about 680 miles on my 16 ex and about 4 fill ups.

MSMCivicEX

Modern Steel Metallic Baby!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
I'm not sure about you guys, but I drive 8 miles to work and back for a total of 16 miles a day Monday through Friday. I take the streets and as of now I'm averaging about 24 miles per gallon. I don't drive gard, but I gave yet to go more than 300 on a tank. I live in socal and don't use the ac much going to work and back, the car is parked on the weekends because I have a weekend car. Anybody else have similar results, I have about 680 miles on my 16 ex and about 4 fill ups.
I'm averaging 26 mpg but still only have 220 miles on mine, but not punch on the gas and keep an eye on the ambient meter keeping it green as much as possible. I have also tried with ECON mode on and off with not much difference. I do however use remote start in the mornings and it idles for about 5 minutes or so.

musycsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS250 F-Sport
Wow, you guys are getting really good mpg. I live in Los Angeles. A lot of traffic. I have around 450 miles on my EX-T. I get 20-24 mpg city. I use 60% city and 40% highway. Is this normal?

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
I'm glad you posted this. I've had mine for a bit over a week and do 8 miles each way to and from work as well. I just did my first fill up yesterday and my MPG was about 26 I think. This tank will be a better judge, but definitely not getting too good with just mostly short drives. My old CR-Z got about 37mpg with this same drive.

MSMCivicEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Wow, you guys are getting really good mpg. I live in Los Angeles. A lot of traffic. I have around 450 miles on my EX-T. I get 20-24 mpg city. I use 60% city and 40% highway. Is this normal?
I wouldn't call 26 mpg, much less 20-24 mpg good for a '16 Civic that is supposed to average 35 mpg and top out at 41 mpg for non-turbo and 42 for turbo Highway. Mine IS still in its break-in period with only 220 miles and should improve once past the break-in and after it's first oil change. Only time will tell, but I'm looking forward to getting closer to the 35 Avg or 41 Hwy mpg.

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't call 26 mpg good for a '16 Civic that is supposed to average 35 mpg and top out at 41 mpg for non-turbo and 42 for turbo Highway. Mine IS still in its break-in period with only 220 miles and should improve once past the break-in and after it's first oil change. Only time will tell, but I'm looking forward to getting closer to the 35 or 41 mpg.
My Touring now has 1600 miles and I got the car in January [I work at home so it's more of a weekend car!]. I find that the difference between stop and go driving and highway driving is huge. I have gotten as much as 42.8 MPG with the ACC Cruise on the highway and as little as 25 MPG around town with stop and go and idling. I also now find since the car is now broken in, I'm getting even better mileage than early on. I hope this helps.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Today the range on my 2016 Civic EX was at 0 around 3 miles before I got to a gas station. By the time I got to the gas station, the blue gas gauge indicator was not visible unless I was stopping or accelerating. I was able to put 13.25 gallons in the tank. Unfortunately, because I only got 35.26 MPG, I only got 467 miles out of that those 13.25 gallons.

As a side note, the trip computer overstated that I got 36.9 MPG on that tank, where the true calculated MPG was 35.26. I have started putting a note with the trip computer's MPG in my Fuelly log, and the trip computer almost always overstates the MPG.

Anyway, it seems like the range on my 2016 Civic EX is really accurate, with almost no "cushion", so I'm going to do my best to never go too far after my car's range reads 0.

On another note, with 5,017 miles on my car, averaging 34.3 MPG, it seems like I'll never get over 40 MPG. Most of my highway driving is at 70-78 MPH, and it seems like my 2016 Civic EX never gets over 37 MPG at those speeds. I'm a little disappointed with this, but I'm not sure if I should be.

MSMCivicEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Today the range on my 2016 Civic EX was at 0 around 3 miles before I got to a gas station. By the time I got to the gas station, the blue gas gauge indicator was not visible unless I was stopping or accelerating. I was able to put 13.25 gallons in the tank.
Interesting considering that the '16 Civic Gas Tank Capacity is only 12.4 Gallons. I do wish it was bigger for long trips!

SethK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
@Boz I've heard of gas stations adjusting their pumps so they charge for more than they dispense.. I'd avoid this station!

Last edited:

SethK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
@MSMCivicEX I too am averaging 26 or so mpg, but still braking her in. I do have a long highway trip in early June and by then she should be past her 600 mile break-in, so I look forward to seeking my mpg's in the 40's. :)
Sponsored