jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Ok so I just filled up my car today and I kid you not, my average MPG was 21.6. That number is horrendously low, even if I've been driving this car in mostly suburban and city traffic. The best part is, I don't even drive my car really hard at all. When I am getting up to speed, the max i'll hit is around 4K RPM and then dip back down below 2000 and stay there until I hit a red light. Sure I have areas where I might put it in sport and let the car live a little, but that is merely a fraction of my driving and it should not have that much of an effect on my MPG. My MPG has never been this bad before, anyone else going through this? Just for comparison, my gas guzzling TT V8 BMW is currently getting 18.2 MPG on average, my 2.0L 4 cylinder Civic should not be this low.
Sponsored

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Ok so I just filled up my car today and I kid you not, my average MPG was 21.6. That number is horrendously low, even if I've been driving this car in mostly suburban and city traffic. The best part is, I don't even drive my car really hard at all. When I am getting up to speed, the max i'll hit is around 4K RPM and then dip back down below 2000 and stay there until I hit a red light. Sure I have areas where I might put it in sport and let the car live a little, but that is merely a fraction of my driving and it should not have that much of an effect on my MPG. My MPG has never been this bad before, anyone else going through this? Just for comparison, my gas guzzling TT V8 BMW is currently getting 18.2 MPG on average, my 2.0L 4 cylinder Civic should not be this low.
Is it really cold there? It's around 20 degrees here, and I've noticed a significant drop in MPG.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Is it really cold there? It's around 20 degrees here, and I've noticed a significant drop in MPG.
Its been pretty cold, but way colder overnight. Temps during the day here have been in the low 30's but overnight its hitting the mid to low 20's. I'm guessing this drop in temp has something to do with it.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With stop & go/heavy city traffic in the winter, that sounds about right.

Just as 50+ MPG isn't out of the realm of possibility on the highway, nor is less than 20 MPG in the city. I've routinely seen both of these situations.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Cold weather. City driving. Short trips. Winter blend gas. It all wreaks havoc on MPG. I can't wait til Spring!

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Plus I’d guess the constant use of the climate control/heater contributes a negative impact?

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah all solid points. Guess I was just used to the summer/fall numbers and this is my first winter with this car. Anyone seeing better mileage with eco mode on? I never drive with it on usually because i've heard its useless.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah all solid points. Guess I was just used to the summer/fall numbers and this is my first winter with this car. Anyone seeing better mileage with eco mode on? I never drive with it on usually because i've heard its useless.
Honestly, it is kind of useless. Mostly, it just dampens throttle response so you tend to put your foot into it more. Which totally defeats the claimed MPG benefits.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Honestly, it is kind of useless. Mostly, it just dampens throttle response so you tend to put your foot into it more. Which totally defeats the claimed MPG benefits.
Well at least I know now that my MPG's flying down isnt my driving or something weird. Spring better come soon lol. My wife's suv is the real killer at the pump anyway...15 mpg :rolleyes:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I forgot to mention. Check your tire pressure a little more often if it's really been cold. It's amazing how quickly you can lose pressure. Proper inflation could be good for a MPG or two. :thumbsup:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I wish I could go on a ride with people who start these threads. My Si gets mid to high 30s average on the highway for the most part, sometimes higher. The weather here has been down in the low 20s with snow and I still get good mileage.

When I drive on the streets, I can stay above 32 if I drive reasonably. The only time I've gotten 20s is when I go out on a "spirited" drive for the sole purpose of high revving fun.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
In cold weather the gas mileage is seriously worse only in short trips, and that's mainly because of the richer mixture and more internal resistance.

When driving with a completely warmed up engine (longer trips), there is really only one factor that can't be helped - the less energetic winter fuel.
The air resistance thing - sure, but only at freeway speeds.

All the other factors, such as deflated tires, heating the seats, defrosting windows, long idling to warm up the interior, lighting, driving on snow, are obvious.
The turbo performs better in cold weather (after the engine is warmed up).

I didn't notice a great drop of gas mileage, but here the temperature only rarely fell below freezing. The only way I could get 21.6 mpg is on one short trip (such as from Walmart to Sam's Club), :D but never-ever on any several day average. I just don't do really short trips, when the engine is left to completely cool down before fully warming up.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I wish I could go on a ride with people who start these threads. My Si gets mid to high 30s average on the highway for the most part, sometimes higher. The weather here has been down in the low 20s with snow and I still get good mileage.

When I drive on the streets, I can stay above 32 if I drive reasonably. The only time I've gotten 20s is when I go out on a "spirited" drive for the sole purpose of high revving fun.
Key word being, "on the highway". If I take this car on highway drives, it can easily see those numbers, but im mostly doing city/suburban driving with this car and a lot of times in heavy traffic. Im also taking a lot of frequent short trips as well. Thats the main issue that's driving that number low. I

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

You've said this in a number of other threads where people have mentioned they get low mileage. Not everybody drives mostly highway miles. I believe you mentioned previously your drives are often 30+ miles. It's not fair to compare or assume others should get the same mileage as you.

Some people are stuck in situations where they must drive in stop and go traffic or have shorter commutes. Like Gruber said, cars run rich until they warm up, which obviously takes longer in cold weather. If you drive longer distances where the engine is at normal operating temps longer, your mileage will be much better. Not everyone has that luxury.

The Civic X is capable of great highway mileage and decent city mileage. Depending on the situation, MPG's can fluctuate quite a bit. But that's true of every car.

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Key word being, "on the highway". If I take this car on highway drives, it can easily see those numbers, but im mostly doing city/suburban driving with this car and a lot of times in heavy traffic. Im also taking a lot of frequent short trips as well. Thats the main issue that's driving that number low. I
Did you read the 2nd part of my post?
Sponsored