jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I want to support 27Won but I don't want to put something in my car that is not "legal". I'm not taking ANYTHING away from 27Won because I like their approach and would otherwise support them any day of the week. BUT, I'm surprised CARB cert. doesn't come up more often regarding intakes. Down the road, it will be an issue getting it SMOG'd, with me anyway, because this car will hopefully be in my family for years to come.

Other than a post from @ayeitsmikko yesterday on another thread, I haven't been able to find anyone that is using the Moshimoto that is CARB certified with their Si.

So here's a few questions: I'm handy doing crap around my house all the time, but I haven't done anything other than replacing the low beam headlights to LED's. Are these installs as easy as the manufacturers make them look? Any way to screw things up? Also, this system includes an oiled filter, the 27Won has a non-oiled. I lean toward dry for maintenance purposes because I don't want to mess around with oiling, and neither will my son or daughter down the road. Are the filters that come with intakes brand specific? Could I just drop in a dry filter when it comes time to service the included oiled filter? Am I over thinking this? (Probably).

https://modbargains.com/mishimoto-air-intake-for-2016-honda-civic-1-5t-si-mmai-civ-16-mmai-civ-17si/
Sponsored

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I want to support 27Won but I don't want to put something in my car that is not "legal". I'm not taking ANYTHING away from 27Won because I like their approach and would otherwise support them any day of the week. BUT, I'm surprised CARB cert. doesn't come up more often regarding intakes. Down the road, it will be an issue getting it SMOG'd, with me anyway, because this car will hopefully be in my family for years to come.

Other than a post from @ayeitsmikko yesterday on another thread, I haven't been able to find anyone that is using the Moshimoto that is CARB certified with their Si.

So here's a few questions: I'm handy doing crap around my house all the time, but I haven't done anything other than replacing the low beam headlights to LED's. Are these installs as easy as the manufacturers make them look? Any way to screw things up? Also, this system includes an oiled filter, the 27Won has a non-oiled. I lean toward dry for maintenance purposes because I don't want to mess around with oiling, and neither will my son or daughter down the road. Are the filters that come with intakes brand specific? Could I just drop in a dry filter when it comes time to service the included oiled filter? Am I over thinking this? (Probably).

https://modbargains.com/mishimoto-air-intake-for-2016-honda-civic-1-5t-si-mmai-civ-16-mmai-civ-17si/
I normally had my friend who works on his cars all the time install my old parts for my previous 2007 Civic LX. But this time I said screw it the install looks simple. I used gloves when I installed my intake filter from Mishimoto. The oiled filter included wasn't drenched in oil, but just lightly lathered on. The install was surprisingly easy and all I did was follow the video guide from Mishimoto's YouTube channel.

Just take your time and don't rush things. You'll be able to do it. ?

Also if you do get any intake and you decided to install it yourself. The OEM intake has a part that keeps it secured. After you remove the two bolts from the right side (shown in the Mishimoto video) you'll feel like the box won't move, but that's fine. You just need to lift it with a bit more strength. I'm literally drawing a blank on what it's called, but it's just a small part to help it secure that isn't bolted on or anything lol.

Good luck!

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have the Mishimoto intake and the install is very simple. It took me about 30 minutes and that is not rushing and taking my time. Very basic hand tools is all it takes. I got the intake and got the TSP tune after and everything is working just fine. I have not re-oiled the filter yet, but I don't see why you cannot use another filter of your choice.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag

Unfortunately I gave up being vocal about it because they appear to have looked into it and decided it wasn't worth it to them.

I can't imagine how it wouldn't pay for itself with increased sales in California and other CARB states.

I also refuse to buy an intercooler kit until one of the prominent brands gets CARB certified.

At this rate it seems like Mishimoto will be the first for that, as well, based on their history CARB certifying other intercooler kits.

OP
OP
jason510

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Unfortunately I gave up being vocal about it because they appear to have looked into it and decided it wasn't worth it to them.

I can't imagine how it wouldn't pay for itself with increased sales in California and other CARB states.

I also refuse to buy an intercooler kit until one of the prominent brands gets CARB certified.

At this rate it seems like Mishimoto will be the first for that, as well, based on their history CARB certifying other intercooler kits.
Exactly my thoughts.

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

I have seen a few old threads about some companies trying to get the CARB certification. The most recent one was from PRL, but it seems with the pandemic, it only made the process longer and stricter - don't quote me on that, but that's just my assumption.

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Forgot to mention that Mishimoto states that an oiled air filter can last longer than dry air filters, but perform, if not, the exact same. They're also washable and reusable, however you may need to reapply oil to the filter.
Mishimoto Dry VS Oiled

Generally the rule of thumb is to change your intake air filter every 15,000 miles
However, Mishimoto sells Air Filter Re-Oil Kil for $22.00 or the Performance Air Filter for roughly about $45 (Air filter model number is MMAF-2756), so those are your options if you want to do maintenance on it.

My old 2007 Civic LX had a DC Sports Intake with an oil filter, but never had an issue with it. (Although I probably should have taken care of it better.)

OP
OP
jason510

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have the Mishimoto intake and the install is very simple. It took me about 30 minutes and that is not rushing and taking my time. Very basic hand tools is all it takes. I got the intake and got the TSP tune after and everything is working just fine. I have not re-oiled the filter yet, but I don't see why you cannot use another filter of your choice.
Both the Injen and 27Won require the removal of the under tray to remove the OE lower airbox which requires jacking up the car and removal of a butt load of clips and bolts. This isn't required right?
Step 2 on the 27Won:
https://store.27won.com/support/instructions/L15_6_305_10_installation_instructions.pdf

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
OP
OP
jason510

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That is correct. You do not need to remove the intake resonator piece. The Mishimoto airbox unit sits right on top of it.
Great news, thank you.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Both the Injen and 27Won require the removal of the under tray to remove the OE lower airbox which requires jacking up the car and removal of a butt load of clips and bolts. This isn't required right?
Step 2 on the 27Won:
https://store.27won.com/support/instructions/L15_6_305_10_installation_instructions.pdf
It was a little bit of a pain in the ass but you can do it without jacking up/ramping the car and removing the undertray.

It's just one bolt you're blind to you have to feel for and use a wrench to remove. If you use a standard wrench it's going to suck but a ratcheting wrench would make easy work of it.

I got it out with a standard wrench.

ayeitsmikko

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I took the car for a 40 min drive today freeway and side street heading back. I noticed the car having a louder tone from the engine bay when revving at higher RPMs, but not excessively loud. Not sure if I feel any difference in performance since Mishimoto advertises the intake to just give +4 whp and + 4 wtq on their website. I wasn't looking for any major gains, but I'm definitely happy with my purchase.

The turbo whistle gives a smile to my face haha.

Last edited:

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Just punch a hole in the bottom of the box on the Mishimoto and run a tube down to mimic the 27Won.

I’ve been considering a Greddy intercooler for the same reason. Greddy is CARB compliant. PRL, 27Won, Mishimoto? Not yet.

OP
OP
jason510

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just installed my Mishimoto intake and @ayeitsmikko beat me to the video! Can't say that I feel the difference in power (only 4HP?) but the sound is impressive and it'll be a helluva lot easier to service the air filter.
Sponsored