Longest You've Gone Before Major Modification?

Longest Period Before Major Modification

• Total voters

2NDW1FE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2008 S2000 CR
Country flag
Hey All! I’ve been enjoying my ‘19 CW since purchasing new in March 2019. First year of ownership I only drove about 6k miles. For this year alone, I’m at 11k miles and still have 3 months to go. I can’t get enough of driving such a great car!

Over the years, before owning a CTR, I’ve owned a few Evo IX’s, S2K’s, an NA1 NSX and FD RX7 and naturally the first move immediately after purchase would be to: a) Register b) Insure and then c) Modify lol. With the CTR I wanted to take a slower approach and leave any major modifications to more of a planned / earned step.

After 18 months of ownership (Sept 2020), I’ve decided to spend on my first major mod and buy a set of Volk TE37SL in 18x9.5+38 on Michelin PS4 255/40/18. What a transformation from the stock 20’s on the road and on the track! This is a mod I will not regret anytime soon.

So, question for you all: What’s the longest you’ve gone before spending on a major (>$1,000) mod for the CTR and what did you get?

Honda Civic 10th gen Longest You've Gone Before Major Modification? IMG_1599

Honda Civic 10th gen Longest You've Gone Before Major Modification? IMG_1606

Honda Civic 10th gen Longest You've Gone Before Major Modification? IMG_1711

Honda Civic 10th gen Longest You've Gone Before Major Modification? IMG_1919

Last edited:

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
First major mod I did was my GReddy DDR exhaust, total cost was a little over 1k, couple months after the 1year mark of owning the car. I haven't done major work like that since; just small things. I'm hoping to get one of PRL's drop-in turbos when it's released

ps. love your plate btw! :thumbsup: that's great

Totally forgot; bought a winter wheel & tire set a few days after it arrived. :D

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Wheel upgrade came after a year of ownership. A year later an intercooler was installed. Then a few months after that an exhaust. Along the way a bunch of cosmetic stuff was added to the car: SWEIDIT interior stuff, Overland interior stuff, steering wheel (to be replaced again), rock guards, window visors, shift knob, and shift boot. I’ll be keeping it like this for a while after the steering wheel from SWEIDIT comes in.

Currently have no tune on the car, so still stock ECU. If I decide to tune it’ll probably be after I pay off the car (~3 more years).

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exhaust was the first performance mod after about (6) months of ownership. Have gone all out ever since.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Hey All! I’ve been enjoying my ‘19 CW since purchasing new in March 2019. First year of ownership I only drove about 6k miles. For this year alone, I’m at 11k miles and still have 3 months to go. I can’t get enough of driving such a great car!

Over the years, before owning a CTR, I’ve owned a few Evo IX’s, S2K’s, an NA1 NSX and FD RX7 and naturally the first move immediately after purchase would be to: a) Register b) Insure and then c) Modify lol. With the CTR I wanted to take a slower approach and leave any major modifications to more of a planned / earned step.

After 18 months of ownership (Sept 2020), I’ve decided to spend on my first major mod and buy a set of Volk TE37SL in 18x9.5+38 on Michelin PS4 255/40/18. What a transformation from the stock 20’s on the road and on the track! This is a mod I will not regret anytime soon.

So, question for you all: What’s the longest you’ve gone before spending on a major (>$1,000) mod for the CTR and what did you get?

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg
That looks great. That’s on stock suspension?

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I modified mine before I even had it on the road LOL! Swift springs, PRL intercooler, afe DP, thermal exhaust, koyo rad and hybrid shifter were the parts installed prior to even driving the car.

OP
OP
2NDW1FE

2NDW1FE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First major mod I did was my GReddy DDR exhaust, total cost was a little over 1k, couple months after the 1year mark of owning the car. I haven't done major work like that since; just small things. I'm hoping to get one of PRL's drop-in turbos when it's released

ps. love your plate btw! :thumbsup: that's great

Totally forgot; bought a winter wheel & tire set a few days after it arrived. :D
It's funny because now that I've opened that valve, I've been constantly looking at exhausts lol.

Are you still on the OEM wheel/tire combo for the summer months?

I've actually owned these license plates for almost 10 years now across a series of cars but it never gets old because it's accurate lol.

OP
OP
2NDW1FE

2NDW1FE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wheel upgrade came after a year of ownership. A year later an intercooler was installed. Then a few months after that an exhaust. Along the way a bunch of cosmetic stuff was added to the car: SWEIDIT interior stuff, Overland interior stuff, steering wheel (to be replaced again), rock guards, window visors, shift knob, and shift boot. I’ll be keeping it like this for a while after the steering wheel from SWEIDIT comes in.

Currently have no tune on the car, so still stock ECU. If I decide to tune it’ll probably be after I pay off the car (~3 more years).
This definitely seems like the path I'll be taking but maybe switch to cosmetic stuff and then bolt-ons. I've been eyeing SWEIDIT's stuff, looks very quality. For the price, I was thinking farther down the line to upgrade to 2020+ steering wheel but having a thicker wheel from SWEIDIT might be better.

I agree with you on tuning as I have extended warranty and want to keep that intact.

OP
OP
2NDW1FE

2NDW1FE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Exhaust was the first performance mod after about (6) months of ownership. Have gone all out ever since.
I love your build thread! Reminds me of the good 'ol days modding days lol. Keep up the great content!

That looks great. That’s on stock suspension?
Thanks! Yes, on stock suspension / alignment. It does slightly rub on the front tab on major dips but nothing crazy (I'm going to bend it out of the way). The back rubs very, very slightly but that was with the in-laws in the back and trunk full of their stuff.

I modified mine before I even had it on the road LOL! Swift springs, PRL intercooler, afe DP, thermal exhaust, koyo rad and hybrid shifter were the parts installed prior to even driving the car.
This is hardcore and admirable lol. I'm guessing you did your research beforehand and already knew exactly what you wanted. That's the way to do it!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
This definitely seems like the path I'll be taking but maybe switch to cosmetic stuff and then bolt-ons. I've been eyeing SWEIDIT's stuff, looks very quality. For the price, I was thinking farther down the line to upgrade to 2020+ steering wheel but having a thicker wheel from SWEIDIT might be better.

I agree with you on tuning as I have extended warranty and want to keep that intact.
SWEIDIT stuff is dope... and very good quality. I think I did most of my cosmetic stuff first, then dealt with the performance stuff. So you wouldn’t be alone in doing that.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I went with TE37SL within the first 6 months and I haven't done a "major mod" since. I like a lot of things about the car in its current form, and don't drive it enough to really get annoyed with certain things. Center caps are a short term want.

Honda Civic 10th gen Longest You've Gone Before Major Modification? m7WWvZZ

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
It's funny because now that I've opened that valve, I've been constantly looking at exhausts lol.

Are you still on the OEM wheel/tire combo for the summer months?

I've actually owned these license plates for almost 10 years now across a series of cars but it never gets old because it's accurate lol.
it took me a while to decide on an exhaust, I initially wanted Borla; then went with GReddy due to it being a little less expensive but I got the sound I wanted. Boy does it get compliments!

Yes, actually! Second summer with them, i switch them out once temps are consistently below 45. It's nice cause they've lasted a bit longer, and the winters will last even longer at this rate. I do know that probably next summer I will have to buy new tires for the OEM wheels; thinking about all-season performance which ran (last I checked) about 800 bucks for a set.
That's awesome, and yeah it would still be true! :thumbsup:

Alex_mp

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I went with TE37SL within the first 6 months and I haven't done a "major mod" since. I like a lot of things about the car in its current form, and don't drive it enough to really get annoyed with certain things. Center caps are a short term want.

m7WWvZZ.jpg
What size rim and tire?