Just hit 60K miles in my CTR. My impressions.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
Watched the odometer hit 60K yesterday and thought I’d share my impressions thus far.

This is my second Type R. Bought my CW new in 2019 then a 2021 Red last February as a “flipper.” Sold the Red and kept the CW.

After 60K miles the only issues I’ve had mechanically is an intermittent 4th gear grind, a leaking valve cover gasket and my AC compressor not clicking on when I turn my AC on.

The infotainment system sucks. As the mileage piled up the infotainment system freezes more. To the point I have to turn the car off and on again to reset it.

The Red Front seats are showing wear. I’m pretty anal about keeping stuff well kept and it’s just impossible to keep them from wearing out. I have a monthly cleaning schedule with a boars hair brush and a bottle of sonax to keep the seats clean. I will say if you wear jeans that are dark in color and you sweat, the combination will rub on the seats. The armrest and center console alcantara has wear. I use a black microfiber towel to rest my elbow on in the center armrest to help mitigate wear. The driver side door is wearing from resting my arm while driving. The “coating” they use on the squishy black material peels really easy.

Interior rattles, ticks and noises are always there. I have one on the dash near the speaker, in the pocket where the USB cable plugs into, the hatch area, and where my Dashcam is installed. Developed a “cracking” sound on the wing when car is parked after driving.

Maintenance wise I’m a bit overkill mainly because I do track the car a lot.

I will say this car is super simple to work on if you’re doing basic maintenance. If I’m not doing a track day (which I do an oil change before and after) I follow the basic 3K interval. Transmission fluid changes every 10K miles (or before track days). I’ve changed spark plugs at 20, 40 and 60K miles. (Check them before every track day.)

Overall I love the car. I plan to keep it for a long time. I get people giving me the thumbs up on a consistent basis while driving around town. Kids love it. The other day I had a soccer mom and her van full of kids oooohing and ahhhhing.

If I can think of anything else I’ll post it.
Sponsored

Methane Herder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Does the 2019 CTR have a volume knob? If so you should be able to reboot the infotainment system by pushing in and holding the knob in for about 5sec. You should get a "Do You Want To Reboot" message. It usually helps some with the "Speed Of Paint Drying" infotainment lag.

MH

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I have absolutely no issues with the Infotainment after 27K miles. I mostly listen to XM, a little FM, phone calls, and AA Google Maps every day.

Methane Herder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have absolutely no issues with the Infotainment after 27K miles. I mostly listen to XM, a little FM, phone calls, and AA Google Maps every day.
I have in my 19 Si. I have had various USB ports just quit working. I've had it forget that I paired my phone to it every so often.
Reboot fixes all those for various lengths of time.

MH

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Should have kept the Red imo. 2020-21 type r's had a lot of good changes that would have helped with track (grille with more airflow, shorter shifter, two piece rotors, etc) also the infotainment system has a slightly faster processor. I will agree though, the infotainment system sucks. After using a 2022 civic infotainment system, our 10th gen sucks.

OP
OP
Quip

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
Should have kept the Red imo. 2020-21 type r's had a lot of good changes that would have helped with track (grille with more airflow, shorter shifter, two piece rotors, etc) also the infotainment system has a slightly faster processor. I will agree though, the infotainment system sucks. After using a 2022 civic infotainment system, our 10th gen sucks.
My 2021’s ACC system was wonky. Would apply brakes when unnecessary and eventually was a burden to turn it off every day. There was a few times on track days it would go off and it got to the point where it actually felt unsafe.

I installed blank rotors on the fronts and have put a C&R radiator/oil cooler to help with track temps. My buddies Stock 2020 hits well over 250 deg on track days and he has to pull off track to cool.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
My 2021’s ACC system was wonky. Would apply brakes when unnecessary and eventually was a burden to turn it off every day. There was a few times on track days it would go off and it got to the point where it actually felt unsafe.

I installed blank rotors on the fronts and have put a C&R radiator/oil cooler to help with track temps. My buddies Stock 2020 hits well over 250 deg on track days and he has to pull off track to cool.
That sucks man. I thought once it was off it stayed off like 2022 civic and jeep.
Sponsored