Just a reminder topic : take security measures for this car....

Tomek

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1994 Honda Civic EX K20a
Country flag
I sometimes worry if our cars will ever be the theft magnets the ITRs were. Especially as more and more try to start swapping more than just the wing on the non-fk8 models once those become cheaper. So far, at least around here, seems like most thefts I hear about are Challengers / Chargers / Jeep Cherokee's and wheel theft of more common Honda models.

2-ch dash cam with parking mode and cloud connectivity are great piece of mind; although if parking for more than a few days without driving, you need to figure out ways to keep the camera consistently powered and connected to wifi.

I check the "live view" of my car too much for my own good if I have it parked somewhere I can't see it. It may not fully prevent a theft if they really want the car but may help deter or help later catch someone in the act. Any other time it helps keep me sane (or maybe just fuels paranoia ?).
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I sometimes worry if our cars will ever be the theft magnets the ITRs were. Especially as more and more try to start swapping more than just the wing on the non-fk8 models once those become cheaper. So far, at least around here, seems like most thefts I hear about are Challengers / Chargers / Jeep Cherokee's and wheel theft of more common Honda models.

2-ch dash cam with parking mode and cloud connectivity are great piece of mind; although if parking for more than a few days without driving, you need to figure out ways to keep the camera consistently powered and connected to wifi.

I check the "live view" of my car too much for my own good if I have it parked somewhere I can't see it. It may not fully prevent a theft if they really want the car but may help deter or help later catch someone in the act. Any other time it helps keep me sane (or maybe just fuels paranoia ?).
Honestly if I was gonna steal a car a dash cam of all things would not deter me. I would have some sort of face covering if I was a smart thief and as soon as I broke the window I would just yank the cam. It would do very little to stop me or identify me. They really are just plecbo items :)

Tomek

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1994 Honda Civic EX K20a
Country flag
Honestly if I was gonna steal a car a dash cam of all things would not deter me. I would have some sort of face covering if I was a smart thief and as soon as I broke the window I would just yank the cam. It would do very little to stop me or identify me. They really are just plecbo items :)
I don't disagree entirely. If they really want it, they will get it. We unfortunately learned that in the 90s/00's with Hondas of that period, which is why it is best to have other "layers" of defense to help slow things down. But again, what stops them from taking the car on a flatbed?

Thankfully many spontaneous thieves aren't smart, so at least the camera may provide a greater chance of catching those, or even catching footage of would be theives scoping the car in advance. It may not stop everyone, but something is better than nothing in some cases. If the camera is ultimately yanked, the footage leading up to that event is stored remotely via the cloud which is why the connectivity is important.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I don't disagree entirely. If they really want it, they will get it. We unfortunately learned that in the 90s/00's with Hondas of that period, which is why it is best to have other "layers" of defense to help slow things down. But again, what stops them from taking the car on a flatbed?

Thankfully many spontaneous thieves aren't smart, so at least the camera may provide a greater chance of catching those, or even catching footage of would be theives scoping the car in advance. It may not stop everyone, but something is better than nothing in some cases. If the camera is ultimately yanked, the footage leading up to that event is stored remotely via the cloud which is why the connectivity is important.
yeah as long as could connected if not its pointless as it gets taken with the car. But even cloud all anyone will see is a masked person coming up to car masked person breaking into car and then yank no feed.... so really doesnt do much in a break in unless again the thief is an idiot. :)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Honestly, I'd just take the dash cam. Obviously have coverings on as well.

Abbie269

First Name
Abbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
On some civics and accords, I have seen and experienced myself, the trunk popping open on its own. This occurred while the key fob was way out of range of the car. A coworker found me in the office and said my trunk was open. I went out, closed it figuring that I must have pressed the fob while leaving the car earlier. Since then I always check to see if the trunk is open when walking away from the car.
Then it happened again a couple of months later. I knew the trunk was closed when I walked away. When I left the office I noticed, from about 100 yards, that the trunk was open. I could see the gap between the trunk lid and fender. I closed the trunk and called honda. They said they never heard of this happening. Then I googled it......
I've had the trunk pop open while I'm driving - obviously, key in ignition.
Sponsored