Is it worth investing in an extended warranty for the new 2020 Type R models?

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I'm not certain where this dealership is located, but they have a link that takes you to Honda Care- I did an instant quote and their prices come out WAAAAAAY cheaper than any of the two options I mentioned in my original message. Two different price plans based on whether you want -0- or $100 deductible.

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it worth investing in an extended warranty for the new 2020 Type R models? 1598499781710

https://www.curryhondacare.com/

Honda Civic 10th gen Is it worth investing in an extended warranty for the new 2020 Type R models? 1598499674993

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went ahead and opted to get the SafeRide tire and wheel warranty for $895. My dealership says that's the lowest they'll go as they usually don't make any profit margin from it. The coverage lasts 5 years and covers any damages to the wheels (such as curb rash). I think it's worth it as the wheels alone probably costs about $400 a piece and if you sum them all up, they're about $1200 a set. I also don't ancitipate when I'll be upgrading to aftermarket wheels, but nonethless, if I do accidentally ding these, at least I'm covered.

Naturally I declined the extended warranty even though they were going to knock-off $300 from the price ($2500) for taking this long (2.5 weeks already) to finish the deal and to finally ship out my Type R to me, but as I state above, I think I'll just grab a HondaCare plan, not immediately, but sometime down the future.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
It's worth it as long as labor and parts are covered completely and you keep it stock until the end. Any mod I'm sure they will try to void it. And my wheel and tire coverage covers aftermarket wheels as well so look into the details.

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's worth it as long as labor and parts are covered completely and you keep it stock until the end. Any mod I'm sure they will try to void it. And my wheel and tire coverage covers aftermarket wheels as well so look into the details.
In mods, you mean to say installing aftermarket lowering springs and/or coilovers? I've seen some of our fellow members rides on here where even sitting at stock height, their wheel setups looks great! I think that's the route I'm planning to go with and also I'll look into whether or not the plan I bought will cover non-OEM aftermarket wheels.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
In mods, you mean to say installing aftermarket lowering springs and/or coilovers? I've seen some of our fellow members rides on here where even sitting at stock height, their wheel setups looks great! I think that's the route I'm planning to go with and also I'll look into whether or not the plan I bought will cover non-OEM aftermarket wheels.
I'm sure they would try to blame any aftermarket part. I'd have to read the fine print because that may even void tire and wheel package. I think stock is best height anyway because even stock I scrape leaving parking lots which sucks because I'd like an inch or so drop. I've been tuned on ktuner since like 1000 miles and now I'm at 37k. Only 1 year so I skipped out on warranty early on.

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
Extended warranty cars you dont trust. In american cars is a must but in hondas your just throwing away money.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
If you drive an unreliable expensive to maintain shitbox, an extended warranty isn't a bad idea. This applies to most German, British, and American piles.

If its a Japanese econobox platform like the Civic, the odds are in your favor to skip the warranty imo. Just put that same cash aside and let it grow in the event something does go wrong.

But most things that go wrong on Civics aren't financially catastrophic.......meanwhile, my mechanic was showing me the $7K bill on a newer Range Rover single OEM headlight assembly for one of his customers lol

Wildlatino89

First Name
Nathaniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fc3 coupe
Country flag
I ended up getting mine for free because I Simply didn't want to add more to my loan at the time I was making much for my new 19 si. I was going through some personal things and the financial guy totally understand and did me the favor to add it in for free with a 5.0 interest. I remember he told me your extended warranty is going to come into play some day, which it has almost 4 years later at 79800 my oem headgasket gave out and my extended warranty covered it and $100 bucks came out my pocket for the deductible.

In all in all its worth it, try and bargain with them so you don't pay 4k for some extended warranty.
Sponsored