Installed PRL Cobra CAI throwing codes

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
I probably said that at some point. They largely
Does the PRL CAI need a tune to go with it...I know I have read that somewhere here.
Not with the street MAF option.
Sponsored

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey man, yeah I’ve heard it and experienced it as well. It does feel a little bogged at times, I do love the swwwwwoooosh sound though!
Glad you got it worked out. Do you notice more midrange and top end power at the loss of low end? I’ve been wanting one for awhile but I’d rather have the low end over the top. I’m thinking I may just do an am drop in.

OP
OP
Robertm005

Robertm005

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Glad you got it worked out. Do you notice more midrange and top end power at the loss of low end? I’ve been wanting one for awhile but I’d rather have the low end over the top. I’m thinking I may just do an am drop in.
For me I’ve noticed more in the mid/top end range power, more on the top end though. I also love the low end power, but I plan on adding in a few more things so it probably won’t make a difference for the end state. My next purchase I am looking at is the ktuner v1.2 because I don’t need a touch screen really... and definitely not for another 200 dollars. Do you have one Matt?

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me I’ve noticed more in the mid/top end range power, more on the top end though. I also love the low end power, but I plan on adding in a few more things so it probably won’t make a difference for the end state. My next purchase I am looking at is the ktuner v1.2 because I don’t need a touch screen really... and definitely not for another 200 dollars. Do you have one Matt?
No ktuner. Imo, seems more than not wind up needing a new clutch unless they baby it. And if you have to baby it, what’s the point. Car is leased so a grand I’ll never get back is a no go. That, and there really doesn’t seem to be any good aftermarket clutches in the market longevity wise.

OP
OP
Robertm005

Robertm005

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
No ktuner. Imo, seems more than not wind up needing a new clutch unless they baby it. And if you have to baby it, what’s the point. Car is leased so a grand I’ll never get back is a no go. That, and there really doesn’t seem to be any good aftermarket clutches in the market longevity wise.
Ahhh okay, yeah I keep hearing people throw out clutch masters fx400, but yeah it’s definitely needed or it’s just going to slip every time.

OP
OP
Robertm005

Robertm005

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So the codes popped up again, one by one... I am lost gents.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the codes popped up again, one by one... I am lost gents.
I read a lot on here and don’t really remember this being a common problem with this intake. Have you taken the top section apart and then put back together? I would try calling PRL directly during the day and see what they have to say. Kind of surprised they haven’t chimed in here. I’d imagine they’ve dealt with this before.

OP
OP
Robertm005

Robertm005

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I read a lot on here and don’t really remember this being a common problem with this intake. Have you taken the top section apart and then put back together? I would try calling PRL directly during the day and see what they have to say. Kind of surprised they haven’t chimed in here. I’d imagine they’ve dealt with this before.
Man... you know what it was! Kinda mad.. It must have slipped past me when I ordered it, but it ended up being a PRL Cobra Race MAF and not the street MAF that I thought I had ordered. Sucks to suck.. but just ordered a ktuner to hopefully fix these issues of bringing in too much air. I ordered off EBay due to a killer deal, $80 dollars off but in the end bit me in the butt because I didn’t click the right CAI on my list. When it comes down to it, fully my fault... learn from my mistakes. I hope the ktuner helps out..

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man... you know what it was! Kinda mad.. It must have slipped past me when I ordered it, but it ended up being a PRL Cobra Race MAF and not the street MAF that I thought I had ordered. Sucks to suck.. but just ordered a ktuner to hopefully fix these issues of bringing in too much air. I ordered off EBay due to a killer deal, $80 dollars off but in the end bit me in the butt because I didn’t click the right CAI on my list. When it comes down to it, fully my fault... learn from my mistakes. I hope the ktuner helps out..
Oh damn!! Well, good excuse to go ahead and get the ktuner plus you got the race MAF. Little bragging rights there and a wee bit more power...post back once you get the tune loaded and let us know how she runs

OP
OP
Robertm005

Robertm005

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Oh damn!! Well, good excuse to go ahead and get the ktuner plus you got the race MAF. Little bragging rights there and a wee bit more power...post back once you get the tune loaded and let us know how she runs
Yeah man, it’s sucks a little bit but not really because I wanted it anyways haha. It arrives Monday and I’ll post how it runs. Next thing is a clutch now haha...

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Lol I came in here and after reading the first page, I was going to ask if you bought the right one. Guess that answers that.

OP
OP
Robertm005

Robertm005

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Lol I came in here and after reading the first page, I was going to ask if you bought the right one. Guess that answers that.
Yeah man, I feel like an idiot... I had ever intention in buying the street MAF, but I guess I got too excited and wasn’t paying attention when I chose the wrong CAI on my list. I eventually wanted the race MAF but oh well. Ordered my Ktuner and I guess I will still be a happy man, probably happier haha.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Yeah man, I feel like an idiot... I had ever intention in buying the street MAF, but I guess I got too excited and wasn’t paying attention when I chose the wrong CAI on my list. I eventually wanted the race MAF but oh well. Ordered my Ktuner and I guess I will still be a happy man, probably happier haha.
You actually saved a bunch in the long run. PRL charges way too much for MAF housing upgrade imo.
Sponsored