First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After two civics and over a year of testing out certain conditions, I'm convinced econo mode does nothing , but maybe make my gas mileage go down.
Sponsored

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I remember on my HR-V (AT) the Eco button made the car shift way earlier and made the A/C work pretty much only when I was going past 30mph. I can't imagine it does much on an MT other than the A/C control.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my experience it softens the throttle response. If the driver was to counter this with increased throttle, they may counteract any fuel savings.
I've tried it on long trips, on short trips ,and I'm very easy on the throttle. I only hit the gas hard if I need to pass, I just don't see any worthwhile use for it.

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
I've tried it on long trips, on short trips ,and I'm very easy on the throttle. I only hit the gas hard if I need to pass, I just don't see any worthwhile use for it.
I use it when I'm stuck in traffic for a long time, it helps my car to steadily and slowly move forward without a lot of start/stop and jerking of the car that would make passengers feel nauseous. maybe it's just me hah

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I keep my eco mode on because it puts less stress on the aircon.
It may help the aircon last longer.

fredericktoo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic VP, 2004 Honda Odyssey, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I think 55 mph is the sweet spot to get the best gas mileage. Econ mode does nothing for me but it makes the car "feel different" and that's the reason I use it every once in a while.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Whatever it does or doesn't do in real life; it makes my foot and the CVT get along much better.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll literally be driving down 95 at about 60 mph, I'll turn it on for about 5 miles and watch my gas mileage barely climb, same trip, turn it off and all the sudden, the mpg goes up a lot quicker.
And yes, I've kept all things equal when trying this out. No AC, same trip, same speed etc.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
When I had my ex hatch, the only thing I notice it do is reduce the output of the AC unit and reduce throttle sensitivity. Acceleration felt slower as well.

Its probably designed more for city stop and go than highway driving.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just leave it on and drive. Only time I took it off is when I first got the car and wanted to play with the paddle shifters + S (mode). But I was getting like 24'ish mph, cause I always had it in S Mode. Since going back to regular driving + eco I get around 30-32'ish or higher. Mostly highways whenever I take my car to work (30 minute commute) when its raining heavy and can't take the bike.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just leave it on and drive. Only time I took it off is when I first got the car and wanted to play with the paddle shifters + S (mode). But I was getting like 24'ish mph, cause I always had it in S Mode. Since going back to regular driving + eco I get around 30-32'ish or higher. Mostly highways whenever I take my car to work (30 minute commute) when its raining heavy and can't take the bike.
See, I was getting like 32 ish with it on also,with it off, I get between 38- 42 mpg.
Sponsored