If You Were in Charge of Honda

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this little idea, just a fun discussion. Of what cars/ideas you'd come up with if you were the one calling the shots for Honda. Obviously keeping within at least somewhat the league of reality (i want a 1000 horsepower roadster for under $20k... NO!). Here's some of my ideas to give example...

Next Gen Prelude (Marketed as a Honda Pony Car).
The old prelude has all the right makings for a current day pony car (IMO) to compete with cars like the mustang and camaro. Imagine a 2+2 prelude RWD coupe riding on the new scalable platform of the accord coupe but with a wider stance. Offer the 2.0T CTR engine as a base engine, V6 for a mid range model and a Twin turbo V6 for an upper tier model. Price it starting around $27k for the base model and offer between 300-450hp along the range. Give it some retro styling touches from previous preludes to really draw in the prelude fanboys.

3 Door Civic hatch/CRX/CRZ
Using the new civic platform create a coupe based 3 door hatch and market it as the CRX (or CRZ if they insist). Offer the 1.5T from the civics with 180hp (from the hatch sport) as a base model. Then offer it in Si trim with whatever engine/power the Si ends up getting. They could even keep it as a 2 seater niche car to protect the civic coupe/Si sales. Starting price around coupe EXT prices. Low volume, go cart handling, marketed like a super small sport city car even. Primarily using cues from the Civic coupe for styling, possibly with retro inspiration from CRX as well.

Fit 5 door Si
Cram the 1.5T from the civics into the fit, tune the suspension and call it day. An easy competitor to the fiesta ST. This would be a good global model where VW sells the Polo GTI as well.

New Roadster (S1000, S2000)
A small 2 seater drop top roadster to the taste of the long loved S2000. Easy competition for the Mazda Miata. Another great application for the 1.5T (if they keep weight super low) or even something like the 370Z if they used the 2.0T. RWD, light weight, drop top, super fun handling without all the complications of something like the NSX. Just a pure sports car thats reasonably priced, high on fun, low of fluff and features.

Would love to hear other's ideas. Get creative and have fun!
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Full-size Grand Touring

-Slot it above the Accord. Make it a 2+2. 2.0T from the CTR + Acura's DCT. RWD. Like a modern VW CC, but gooder. Fully adjustable shocks, steering, transmission on-the-fly (comfort/sport modes). Handsome interior. Start it at $30k, Acura be damned.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If it were me, I'd be doing everything possible to get a Fit Sport to market. I also think there'd be a small market for a 6MT Accord Touring.

I like the Prelude idea. Though I'd probably want to do AWD.

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it were me, I'd be doing everything possible to get a Fit Sport to market. I also think there'd be a small market for a 6MT Accord Touring.

I like the Prelude idea. Though I'd probably want to do AWD.
Part of the glory of the new platform is that it works in FWD, AWD and RWD configurations. So they could reserve AWD for the upper tier turbo V6 I mentioned. Keep the lighter less powerful variants RWD.

The more I thought about what the prelude was as a car and how few cars compete in the pony car segment it just seemed like a perfect transition for Honda to do a retro style pony car of their own under that name.

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Full-size Grand Touring

-Slot it above the Accord. Make it a 2+2. 2.0T from the CTR + Acura's DCT. RWD. Like a modern VW CC, but gooder. Fully adjustable shocks, steering, transmission on-the-fly (comfort/sport modes). Handsome interior. Start it at $30k, Acura be damned.
I agree Acura be damned. Haha. Acura being the only reason Honda wouldn't make such a car. However. If they were to release such a car under the Acura badge and give it identical styling to the precision concept I think it'd be a great step forward for Acura in moving upmarket, thus freeing up wiggle room for Honda to do more upscale offerings.

I suppose being in charge of Honda would mean Acura as well. So everyone feel free to contribute to them too. I say, bring back the rsx/integra!

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A next gen Prelude would be good. I'd really like a 3-door hatch 4wd with a 2.4l turbo and 395hp.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fit Si, a new S2000, S660 (modified for NA market), Accord Wagon, N-One (modified for NA market)

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Id make a Civic wagon. Base it on the sedan (i.e. the chrome grille and the more toned-down fake air inlets) and make it in 4 trims. LX-P (idea borrowed from the coupe), EX, EX-L, and Touring. All turbo and all but the Touring would have a 6-speed as standard. Id also make a full-size sedan above the Accord. V6 only, 9AT, something sophisticated and classy. All models would be well equipped too (leather seats, display audio with available nav, true blind sport monitoring, LEDs front and rear). Lastly, for the MMC HR-V, Id add the 1.5T engine, available LED lights, and add a Sport trim between the LX and EX. It would have different wheels, leather steering wheel & shift knob, fog lights, and red stitching. Others have mentioned a Fit Si or Fit Sport, which I fully support lol.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Ooh, a station wagon is not a bad idea at all! I certainly wouldn't mind that as my DD as I am usually at Lowes or Home Depot three times per week. Along with a "torquey" V6 turbo diesel, I'd make that a keeper. Plus, a Civic hearse version would be great for smaller, deceased JDM enthuiasts.

At the top of my list though, is a new Honda roadster. It wouldn't have to compete with the new Miata or FIAT 124 (Fiata) but Honda needs a new roadster and I'd be first to plunk down a deposit. Of course, I'd want to see AWD and a twin-turbo V6 in mine like the 600HP EcoBoost but there's nothing wrong with a 2L four-cylinder for lower trim models.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did these for fun. FUN. NOT REAL. NOT FACTUAL. I don't want these going public on 30 website thinking they're real spec sheets (it happened to the civic ones i did for fun when the concept came out). Just my thinking out loud of how i'd trim level a Prelude pony car and S1000 roadster. I can/will do these for other cars we have ideas for if/when i have time. :) Also, i don't claim to have an expert understanding of power vs. 0-60 times, i just guessed. lol. Honda Civic 10th gen If You Were in Charge of Honda cars-01 Honda Civic 10th gen If You Were in Charge of Honda cars2-02

Howelldaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Civic coupe,99 Cougar, 89 Mustang LX 5.0, 70'Cuda, 06 Mustang Pony convert, 17 CivicTouring coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Imagine a Civic convertible. I think the genX would make one hell of a sexy convertible.

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
Imagine a Civic convertible. I think the genX would make one hell of a sexy convertible.
Sure; bring back the Del Sol!

Just about what everyone else already said sounds good to me, only yet-unposted-here idea I have is this:

Remember the alleged "baby NSX"? Use a scaled down 2017 NSX, put in the 2.0T from the CTR (personally I'd prefer the Accord's V6 but the 2.0T is more realistic I'm guessing), leave out any hybrid tech and most of the bells and whistles (at least in a base version) to bring the cost (and weight) as low as possible. The best of the original NSX back again. They could even do a targa version if they want...

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sure; bring back the Del Sol!

Just about what everyone else already said sounds good to me, only yet-unposted-here idea I have is this:

Remember the alleged "baby NSX"? Use a scaled down 2017 NSX, put in the 2.0T from the CTR (personally I'd prefer the Accord's V6 but the 2.0T is more realistic I'm guessing), leave out any hybrid tech and most of the bells and whistles (at least in a base version) to bring the cost (and weight) as low as possible. The best of the original NSX back again. They could even do a targa version if they want...
Word on the street was that Acura was planning a more hardcore type S variant of the nsx that will be RWD and use the twin turbo v6 without all the hybrid tech. But I agree Honda should do their own smaller variant of the nsx as a convertible using the 2.0T as an s2000 successor.
Sponsored