veedster

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
What’s up guys, so I had something really odd happen to my type r, and part of the problem could potentially be from me trying to DIY-it. Here’s the issue:
1. Heard some whistling while cruising (doesn’t occur during acceleration), found out it’s a waste-gate actuator issue. I turned the bolt a quarter turn up away from the front of the bay.
2. Whistling went away.. fast forward a few days ago hear the whistling again, do the same thing, tried to “tighten” the wastegate, whistling went away again.
3. But this time I got a light show: engine light on, emissions problem and rev match system problems lights turned on.
4. I ran the code and got: P0046 turbocharger solenoid circuit “A”
5. Took it to honda, they had no luck in getting rid of the code so they’re having to replace my turbo.
5. I did confirm my turbo wasn’t functioning properly as I wasn’t getting above 0 to 1 psi of boost on acceleration.
6. So now my Type R is sitting with the shop until I get a new turbo cause apparently they’re on backorder 😑

thoughts, opinions, advise are much appreciated

thanks guys
Sponsored

StayAtHomeDad

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI, '97 TJ, '17 Alltrack, '03 Escalade
Country flag
What’s up guys, so I had something really odd happen to my type r, and part of the problem could potentially be from me trying to DIY-it. Here’s the issue:
1. Heard some whistling while cruising (doesn’t occur during acceleration), found out it’s a waste-gate actuator issue. I turned the bolt a quarter turn up away from the front of the bay.
2. Whistling went away.. fast forward a few days ago hear the whistling again, do the same thing, tried to “tighten” the wastegate, whistling went away again.
3. But this time I got a light show: engine light on, emissions problem and rev match system problems lights turned on.
4. I ran the code and got: P0046 turbocharger solenoid circuit “A”
5. Took it to honda, they had no luck in getting rid of the code so they’re having to replace my turbo.
5. I did confirm my turbo wasn’t functioning properly as I wasn’t getting above 0 to 1 psi of boost on acceleration.
6. So now my Type R is sitting with the shop until I get a new turbo cause apparently they’re on backorder 😑

thoughts, opinions, advise are much appreciated

thanks guys

Sorry to hear this.

Was the car mostly stock?
Is this under warranty?

I came across this from searching... I just got back from a drive, and suddenly it won't boost above 0-1psi . No engine lights.

Was your car having the boost problem before the engine lights came on?

OP
OP

veedster

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Sorry to hear this.

Was the car mostly stock?
Is this under warranty?

I came across this from searching... I just got back from a drive, and suddenly it won't boost above 0-1psi . No engine lights.

Was your car having the boost problem before the engine lights came on?

OP
OP

veedster

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Hey,

1. It is under warranty
2. It is all stock

basically what I noticed was the ‘emissions problem’ and ‘rev match problem’ light came on and I’m not getting past 1 psi of boost even with hard acceleration.

before that I was having this whistling coming from the wastegate actuator which I tried to tighten to get rid of whistling, which it did go away, but then after adjusting that later that night said problems occurred. The service lady at Honda said it wasn’t anything that I did 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

StayAtHomeDad

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI, '97 TJ, '17 Alltrack, '03 Escalade
Country flag
Hey,

1. It is under warranty
2. It is all stock

basically what I noticed was the ‘emissions problem’ and ‘rev match problem’ light came on and I’m not getting past 1 psi of boost even with hard acceleration.

before that I was having this whistling coming from the wastegate actuator which I tried to tighten to get rid of whistling, which it did go away, but then after adjusting that later that night said problems occurred. The service lady at Honda said it wasn’t anything that I did 🤷🏽‍♂️
Thanks for replying.

I am driving an Si, not a type r, but am having a no boost/no dash light issue (just started). It seemed similar to your issue, and wanted to see if i could learn anything.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
I don’t know if anyone is still struggling with this issue, but I’ve been reading the forums and decided to inspect the wastegate actuator/level. It’s located at the front engine bay and it’s beneath the very front metallic heat shield, with a part of it sticking out that connects to what I’m assuming to be the turbo/intake system. I tried to tighten this level, and even though it seemed to have a little bit of lag, I tightened it by a quarter turn. I took the car out to test to see if that metallic sound was still there, and even though it didn’t go away completely (you could still hear it very very faint) it essentially sounded much better. So I don’t know, does this thing loosen up when doing pulls? Who knows, I hope I don’t have to keep tightening it lol

I'm guessing this is what caused it.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
The service lady at Honda said it wasn’t anything that I did 🤷🏽‍♂️
It was totally something you did. lol.
You cannot mess with those lock nuts on the turbo wastegate actuator, they are precision calibrated. The code you set was due to messing with that and the "actual lift" vs "command lift" values do not match anymore. The pcm thinks the wastegate is now stuck open. All the turbos make a dry bearing rattle noise.

Xernive

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
It was totally something you did. lol.
You cannot mess with those lock nuts on the turbo wastegate actuator, they are precision calibrated. The code you set was due to messing with that and the "actual lift" vs "command lift" values do not match anymore. The pcm thinks the wastegate is now stuck open. All the turbos make a dry bearing rattle noise.
Sorry to bump a old thread, was wondering how would someone go about fixing this issue?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag

Xernive

First Name
Alex
Threads