I cant figure out what's wrong with my suspension

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My suspension has been driving me crazy for months now. After installing my fortune auto coilovers they have never stopped clunking. It was first the rear drivers side, fixed that. Then it was the front passenger, blown shock, had to replace it. Then it was rear passenger, fixed it for a little but now its back and worse then ever. Here is a video of what it sounds like from inside the car.
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The only suspension mods I have are the coilovers and Skunk2 rear chamber kit. Not sure if the chamber kit could be the cause.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Sounds like a loose sway bar. Double check that.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sounds like a lot of knocking... I think I can hear the noise after you say "Keep doing it" in the second video.
To me, it seems like it is happening too much to be an endlink.

Using the following photo:

Honda Civic 10th gen I cant figure out what's wrong with my suspension Civic-RearSuspensio

Is there a rubber isolator where #1?
OEM or Fortune Auto one shouldn't matter as long as there is something there.
If not, the height adj. collar would be hitting metal on metal with the frame of the car.
I can see the bottom isolator (#12) is still there which is good.

Also, is there any sort of slop where the shock meets the control arm?
If it's not a 100% fit, you may need a spacer/bushing to take up the slack (see #17)

With the car on level ground, try reaching under there and grabbing the spring and shaking it.
What you are trying to do is see if anything moves around.
Then do the same with the shock.

Good luck, I was looking at picking up a set of FA 500s myself, so I am curious to see what is causing this.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only suspension mods I have are the coilovers and Skunk2 rear chamber kit. Not sure if the chamber kit could be the cause.
Check the camber arm bushings where the arm bolts to the chassis. One of my bushings broke out very soon after the initial install and I got a clicking sound when rolling slow. I thought it was my sway bar or coils. Mine was only the front bushing. You may have both broken where the camber arm is just rattling around.

You can check the bushings by shaking the camber arm forward to rear. You shouldn't have any movement. If you do, you have a bad bushing. I got a replacement on Amazon.

Skunk2 Racing 916-05-0505 Rear Camber Kit Replacement Bushing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L0GCI...t_i_E3DN2W9QA0HRS8VDFGPG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That sounds like a lot of knocking... I think I can hear the noise after you say "Keep doing it" in the second video.
To me, it seems like it is happening too much to be an endlink.

Using the following photo:

Civic-RearSuspension.png

Is there a rubber isolator where #1?
OEM or Fortune Auto one shouldn't matter as long as there is something there.
If not, the height adj. collar would be hitting metal on metal with the frame of the car.
I can see the bottom isolator (#12) is still there which is good.

Also, is there any sort of slop where the shock meets the control arm?
If it's not a 100% fit, you may need a spacer/bushing to take up the slack (see #17)

With the car on level ground, try reaching under there and grabbing the spring and shaking it.
What you are trying to do is see if anything moves around.
Then do the same with the shock.

Good luck, I was looking at picking up a set of FA 500s myself, so I am curious to see what is causing this.
Fortune auto provides a rubber piece that goes above the spring so its not metal on metal. The preload on the spring is also correct, it does not move. I could be missing the #17 part. The original problem was from there, the metal shim that sits in the control arm popped out and caused the noise but you would clearly see the bolt for the shock move if you bounced the car. It does not do that anymore.

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Check the camber arm bushings where the arm bolts to the chassis. One of my bushings broke out very soon after the initial install and I got a clicking sound when rolling slow. I thought it was my sway bar or coils. Mine was only the front bushing. You may have both broken where the camber arm is just rattling around.

You can check the bushings by shaking the camber arm forward to rear. You shouldn't have any movement. If you do, you have a bad bushing. I got a replacement on Amazon.

Skunk2 Racing 916-05-0505 Rear Camber Kit Replacement Bushing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L0GCI...t_i_E3DN2W9QA0HRS8VDFGPG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I will ty that as well thank you

OP
OP
LampRod

LampRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just some other things I noticed. The noise is way less when it is warm outside or if someone is sitting in the back. So its probably something that's just slightly loose/off causing all the noise.
Sponsored