First Name
Kham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Hi fellas,
I just ordered a set of Advan TC4 18x9.5 +38 and was just wondering if hub centric rings are needed or should I be okay to just slap the wheels on. Thanks
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I have those exact wheels and do not use hub centric rings. I swap them regularly with the stock wheels when I go to the track. So I run them hard (100++mph) and never had an issue.

As a mechanical engineer, I do not see any mechanical reason for them. Each lug nut is in itself self centering. So when you torque your lug nuts to 94 ft-lb, your wheels will be centered as closely aligned as needed.

Note, the TC4s (and most after market wheels) use a different type of seat on the lug nut, so make sure you get new lugs that fit the seat type.

OP
OP
KamenRider

KamenRider

First Name
Kham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
I have those exact wheels and do not use hub centric rings. I swap them regularly with the stock wheels when I go to the track. So I run them hard (100++mph) and never had an issue.

As a mechanical engineer, I do not see any mechanical reason for them. Each lug nut is in itself self centering. So when you torque your lug nuts to 94 ft-lb, your wheels will be centered as closely aligned as needed.

Note, the TC4s (and most after market wheels) use a different type of seat on the lug nut, so make sure you get new lugs that fit the seat type.
Thanks, do you know exactly which one is right for the TC4? I bought candy apple red one so would like lugs that matches.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Thanks, do you know exactly which one is right for the TC4? I bought candy apple red one so would like lugs that matches.
Not exactly. The lugs I use for the TC4 are left over conical/tapered Gorilla spline lugs that I had left over from switching out the lugs when my daughters got new wheels. And since I only use them at the track, I don't care about appearances.

The OEM FK8 lugs are spherical/ball.

Here's a simple diagram and explanation; https://www.townfairtire.com/inform...on-guide/wheel-lug-nut-seat-types/index.shtml

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Note, if one were to find wheels with a flat seat (if they're even made anymore), then centering rings would probably be wise.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Our hubs are 64.1MM, so you will need to measure the inner bore of the Advans with a vernier caliper to determine the other half/size of the hub ring.

I always run hub rings, but that's my personal preference ever since chasing vibration issues after mutiple attempts of wheel balancing from my previous cars/aftermarket wheel sets.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I just bought a set of aftermarket rims from TireRack that came with the centering rings for my CTR. My question is about tire mounting. I'm going to take my all season tires and the new wheels to the tire place to mount and then give me back the tires/wheels for me to switch out on the car. Should I remove the rings so they don't lose/damage the rings?

Thanks
Our hubs are 64.1MM, so you will need to measure the inner bore of the Advans with a vernier caliper to determine the other half/size of the hub ring.

I always run hub rings, but that's my personal preference ever since chasing vibration issues after mutiple attempts of wheel balancing from my previous cars/aftermarket wheel sets.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
I just bought a set of aftermarket rims from TireRack that came with the centering rings for my CTR. My question is about tire mounting. I'm going to take my all season tires and the new wheels to the tire place to mount and then give me back the tires/wheels for me to switch out on the car. Should I remove the rings so they don't lose/damage the rings?

Thanks
If you mount them at local shop then you don't need to take hub ring with you. They just need the tire and rim.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Yeah I knew they wouldn't need them. Just wondering if would be wise to just remove the rings prior to taking to tire shop.
If you mount them at local shop then you don't need to take hub ring with you. They just need the tire and rim.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Yeah I knew they wouldn't need them. Just wondering if would be wise to just remove the rings prior to taking to tire shop.
I would say just keep the hub ring in a bag and put it on when you mount the new wheels. I sometimes lose the hub ring when I leave it on the wheel since they can drop off during transport.

Thelostfk8

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag

Do you mind sharing what tire size you're running on with those wheels? Are you lowered? If so any rub or modification?