How to figure out proper psi?

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I have a Civic Sport with the ContiPro tires. I recently change the tires to the Goodyear Eagle Sport that are stock in the Si. Does anyone know what psi these Goodyear should be at? Should it be the same as the Si @ 32psi?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

ramnj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It should be the same at 32 PSI.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
35 front/32 rear, just like it says on your door jamb sticker.

Unless you go racing... then messing with tire pressures is another tweak you can do for handling.

OP
OP
cestjoel

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
35 front/32 rear, just like it says on your door jamb sticker.

Unless you go racing... then messing with tire pressures is another tweak you can do for handling.
Awesome. Thanks! I had a mom and pop shop install these. So, not sure if they used the proper psi or not. Just wanted to make sure if different tires made a difference.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome. Thanks! I had a mom and pop shop install these. So, not sure if they used the proper psi or not. Just wanted to make sure if different tires made a difference.
You won't have to worry about wildly different pressures unless you pick tire sizes that are way outside the norm.

I also double-check the pressures myself every time a shop touches the wheels. Heck, when I brought mine home from the dealer, the tire pressures were all over the place -- two were over 40 PSI (even after I checked them first thing next morning when they were cooled).

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I run mine a bit hard, 36psi on all 4. I get better MPG at 36 than I did at 32. There is a lot of wiggle room honestly, anything between 32-38 should be acceptable. More air will give you a rougher ride too.

OP
OP
cestjoel

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Snoopyslr @BarracksSi since I have your guys attention, I had a question about downsizing to a 17. What size tires would I need to get? And, would this give me a more comfortable ride?

I’ll end up just making a new post actually. Haha

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Snoopyslr @BarracksSi since I have your guys attention, I had a question about downsizing to a 17. What size tires would I need to get? And, would this give me a more comfortable ride?

I’ll end up just making a new post actually. Haha
My EX-T came with 17's. I just bought a set of 17" and put the factory rubber on them. I forget the OEM tire size, but it's easy enough to look up.

17's would probably give you a better ride, but it's going to be a bit depended on what tire you get.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
215/50-17 is stock. I run about 34psi on mine a it is a bit rough riding. I don't think it's as much the size or the pressure, it's the tires. The stocks tires are basically crap. Something like a Pirelli Cinturato P7 or Goodyear ComforTred would give a much cushier ride.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On our trim levels, you can go all the way down to 15" or 16" for a better ride (at least, better bump absorption).

Go here -- https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ -- and start with 235/40-18 and +50mm for your stock size, then figure out what other tires and offsets are close enough.

Tire Rack lists 15" wheels that would fit, but only a few that are 7" wide, and none that'll match the +50mm offset of our stock Sport rims (+40 is the most they have available, which I think is good enough). But you'll be limited to 215-width tires, or maybe 225, depending on the tire's recommended wheel width specs.
Sponsored