Rockstar08

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4
Country flag
Agreed and even if you have to install a better clutch on the Civic it seems to be a lot cheaper then most. I am a Mustang guy and priced out the new 2018 GT with options I would want at 52K unbelievable to say the least. I have had 4 Mustangs in the past 15+ years with one of them being a Saleen and I love these cars but the Civic for what you pay and the fun factor is far beyond most cars out their for the money. I am going to do the Ktuner 6+ Tune and PRL Stage 1 Intake here soon and I will see how the clutch holds up. I am 50 now so no I don't dump the clutch at 5k like a lot of people do which even on a stock car will wear it out faster..lol. Just remember Honda reports 192 Ftlbs but everyone seems to be dynoing these stock at around 210+ Ft-lbs. I am hoping to get around 260 Ft-lbs which is only 50 over stock which is only 24% over stock which is realistic to me. Yes when you do the E85 tune and down pipes those guys are getting way to much torque for the stock clutch period. But all the tuners have stated stage 1 6+ PSI is fine for a stock clutch and I bet it is as long as one doesn't abuse the clutch all day long.
Sponsored

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
As far as the clutch comparison goes, you have to keep in mind the power it was designed for and the increase in power we are already getting.

I'm going to be fairly generous in the numbers favoring the conservative side.

Let's say the Si is laying down 190 ft-lbs of torque in stock form, and that going crazy on the tune is getting it to drop 300 ft-lbs. That's essentially a 58% increase in power. Now looking at a stock 5.0 mustang, I found a stock dyno run where it laid down 358 ft-lbs of torque. Now, if you added the same kind of power increase to that car (58%) you'd be running around 565 ft-lbs.... You're going to have clutch problems with any car after that kind of increase in power over stock numbers.

Also, this made me realize what kind of gains we are getting for the $. See if you can make that increase in torque (58%) on any car for around a couple grand.

Came here to post this. Also, clutches that handle more power generally don't engage as smoothly. They have to take drivability into account. The stock clutch does its job fine. And yes, Honda is about reliability :). I think its obvious.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
Agreed and even if you have to install a better clutch on the Civic it seems to be a lot cheaper then most. I am a Mustang guy and priced out the new 2018 GT with options I would want at 52K unbelievable to say the least. I have had 4 Mustangs in the past 15+ years with one of them being a Saleen and I love these cars but the Civic for what you pay and the fun factor is far beyond most cars out their for the money. I am going to do the Ktuner 6+ Tune and PRL Stage 1 Intake here soon and I will see how the clutch holds up. I am 50 now so no I don't dump the clutch at 5k like a lot of people do which even on a stock car will wear it out faster..lol. Just remember Honda reports 192 Ftlbs but everyone seems to be dynoing these stock at around 210+ Ft-lbs. I am hoping to get around 260 Ft-lbs which is only 50 over stock which is only 24% over stock which is realistic to me. Yes when you do the E85 tune and down pipes those guys are getting way to much torque for the stock clutch period. But all the tuners have stated stage 1 6+ PSI is fine for a stock clutch and I bet it is as long as one doesn't abuse the clutch all day long.
Yea, they're getting pricey for sure! To jump into a new muscle car right now, sadly I would probably have to choose the used route this time around unless I could wait a couple years. A used but loaded 2016 2SS with under 9,000 miles for $37,000 vs paying nearly 50k for brand new. I'm kinda 50/50 with keeping the Civic - there's a lot I like about the car but there's just something missing to it for me... Imagine how exciting these Civics would be if the Si came with 300hp stock and the Type R with 400hp and made them AWD...

OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #318, 2017 Odyssey EX-L RES
Country flag
Yea, they're getting pricey for sure! To jump into a new muscle car right now, sadly I would probably have to choose the used route this time around unless I could wait a couple years. A used but loaded 2016 2SS with under 9,000 miles for $37,000 vs paying nearly 50k for brand new. I'm kinda 50/50 with keeping the Civic - there's a lot I like about the car but there's just something missing to it for me... Imagine how exciting these Civics would be if the Si came with 300hp stock and the Type R with 400hp and made them AWD...
There’s a Brand new SS for sale in my area 6speed for 35.6k. White with black stripes.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
There’s a Brand new SS for sale in my area 6speed for 35.6k. White with black stripes.
That's probably a 1SS? A new 2014 2SS was around 38,800.... I do like white with black stripes though....

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Once installed, can you re-flash back to stock tune? ...and have no warning lights pop up in the process?

OP
OP
Gerothius777

Gerothius777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #318, 2017 Odyssey EX-L RES
Country flag
Once installed, can you re-flash back to stock tune? ...and have no warning lights pop up in the process?
Yes you can flash back to stock. Warning lights only pop up through the programming process as the computer in configured. Once flashed car runs like it was stock. Just faster and a lot more fun!!!

riv21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid, Ktuner Stage 1
Great post useful info in here, I too was worried about early wear and tear on my stock clutch. Now that I know I can boost my HP without changing my stock clutch I foresee a flash pro for xmas.

Victor_22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Does anyone know how the dashboard look like on a fk7 when the car is tuned with the hondata flashpro ? Pics will help.
Sponsored