Help - How to raise the CTR for DIY oil change

ems657

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru STi, 2012 Infiniti G37 (sold)
Country flag
Hey guys,

How's going? I can't believe I am asking this question, but I really can't figure it out. I am trying to raise the front end for a simple oil change, and tried the following:

1. Regular ramp - won't fit due to the front lip

2. Low profile ramp - it fits, but only raises the car like 2-3 inches. Not enough room to work underneath

3. Jack up only the front - I jacked the passenger side front to the desired height, but the problem is the passenger rear wheel is also off the ground. Thus, I can't proceed to the driver side.

4. Jack up all 4 wheels - This would be idea, but my drive way is on a slight slope. I worry about safety.

Guys, help me out here. What method do you use? Thanks so much. Have a good one !!

Michael
Sponsored

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hey guys,

How's going? I can't believe I am asking this question, but I really can't figure it out. I am trying to raise the front end for a simple oil change, and tried the following:

1. Regular ramp - won't fit due to the front lip

2. Low profile ramp - it fits, but only raises the car like 2-3 inches. Not enough room to work underneath

3. Jack up only the front - I jacked the passenger side front to the desired height, but the problem is the passenger rear wheel is also off the ground. Thus, I can't proceed to the driver side.

4. Jack up all 4 wheels - This would be idea, but my drive way is on a slight slope. I worry about safety.

Guys, help me out here. What method do you use? Thanks so much. Have a good one !!

Michael
Make something like this for the regular ramps.

Or you could use your jack that comes with car to jack it up until you can use your jack in the middle. Make sure to place bricks behind your back wheels before lifting anything

Usually I just jack up passenger side and thatā€™s it, no need to jack up the driver side too for the oil change.

Last edited:

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Make something like this for the regular ramps.

Usually I just jack up passenger side and thatā€™s it, no need to jack up the driver side too for the oil change.
How do you get jack stands underneath when you jack up the passenger side?

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
How do you get jack stands underneath when you jack up the passenger side?
Iā€™ll be honest Iā€™m not the the safest. I place a jackstand near the front wheel where there is a strong piece of metal. I just use the jack stands as a preventative incase jack fails. But jack is never lowered when jackstand is underneath car.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I plan to use these to see where the front jack point is:
Honda Civic 10th gen Help - How to raise the CTR for DIY oil change 41dkJptBZjL._SL500_AC_SS350_

Then use a long reach floor jack:
Honda Civic 10th gen Help - How to raise the CTR for DIY oil change automotive-omega-2-ton-low-profile-magic-service-jack-1_large

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
I bought low profile ramps from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Ram...Format=grid&impressionTimestamp=1525093894938

And used them to get the car high enough to locate the jacking point at the front of the car. It is pretty far back. If you park the car facing down hill and chock the rear tires, you can jack the front end up until the car is level and set your jack stands. I finds this makes it easier getting the correct oil level.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
FlyinGato has a nice youtube video showing the side jack points. Then if you want to move some around he shows the other points around the vehicle. EXTREMELY helpful to see the points visually in a video first before jacking it up for the first time.

I'm with @davidgostbo ... I just jack the car up and throw some jack stands under it. Just make sure you used the designated areas and you will balance the car perfectly on the stands.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I use a lift and I bring about 10 hockey pucks with me to make sure the lift arms only lift on the lift tabs and not the side skirts. I'll try to get a pic of it sometime...
Sponsored