Head unit beeping

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
So recently my screen will start beeping repetitively and force itself to the home screen. I was listening to music on satellite radio and it started beeping like a button was being pressed repeatedly. It went blank while doing this, then ended up on the main screen. This is the second time in about a week this has happened.

Currently I am having an issue with the system not recognizing certain songs on my flash drive that used to work before. When I select certain songs in a folder, it will say something like "Playback failed" or "Unplayable file". For about a month before, when I changed the source to USB, it would say "Device not recognized".

I've taken the car to Honda two times for the flash drive problem, and they tell me they can't find anything wrong and to call some number to talk to Honda. They attempted a firmware update, but said it failed multiple times, but it wouldn't fix the problem anyway. I have not taken it in for the screen beeping yet since it just happened within last week.

I am wondering if this is somehow related to my flash drive problem.

My car is almost at 20k miles since last April. I want to get this fixed before my warranty runs out. They say they can't find anything wrong, and I say something is broken and needs fixed. What are my options?
Sponsored

organiktsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Dodge D100 slant six, 2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Seems some users had pretty good success with getting rid of "ghost" touchscreen issues by reducing the sensitivity of the touchscreen in the settings. As far the problem with the songs I am not sure what would cause that...

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
there is a Honda bulletin somewhere on this forum talking about this. Mine did it and I printed it out but they could not duplicate it so would not fix anything. It stated Civic EX and above models. they told me it does not apply to the Touring which I have, but it was doing exactly what it stated. Honda is pissing me off. Last night on way home my screens on radio and on center speedo went crazy and rebooted. I took video on my phone and sent it to my dealer, they sent it off to tech line and they stated its caused from a corrupted flashdrive or USB cable. I have my iPhone cable plugged into the port but phone was not plugged in. Once again Honda refuses to fix anything

OP
OP

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I've been sick so I haven't been able to reply until now. Two days ago my screen started beeping like crazy and I let it do it's thing to see how long it would do it. I let it go almost five minutes before I rebooted it. The next time I am going to take a video. Also that day, my passenger side front window wouldn't go down with either buttons. I took a video of that. It's the third time a window wouldn't go down. One time it wouldn't go up. I have so many issues with this car it's really turning me off Civics. This is my 4th Civic and 5th Honda, I will still buy Honda, but damn this car has problems.

nurvcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO CVT 4DR // 2001 IS300 2JZ 3.0L // 2000 F250 CCSB 7.3L
Country flag
my exl radio started doing random beeping and backing out to main screen and does it at random time :(

OP
OP

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I checked the sensitivity and it's already as low as I can set it. It hasn't done it in a couple days, but I am sure it will. I hope to be able to take a video of it. It's a good thing I decided to lease this one, too many problems to be stuck with.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Video all you want, Honda won't fix it. I video mine going nuts and they started making up excuses from tech line. They built this car with no idea how to fix the issues. Vibrating rear shelf, grinding noise on warm start, and infotainment issues are biggest complaints amongst many others. I've always leased and just my luck this is first car I've ever actually bought. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a Honda. Starting to regret that decision

OP
OP

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Video all you want, Honda won't fix it. I video mine going nuts and they started making up excuses from tech line. They built this car with no idea how to fix the issues. Vibrating rear shelf, grinding noise on warm start, and infotainment issues are biggest complaints amongst many others. I've always leased and just my luck this is first car I've ever actually bought. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a Honda. Starting to regret that decision
According to how I am being treated with fixing my audio issues, I think you are right.

bobbyboogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
My touring started beeping for the first time too. I had my iPhone plugged in to charge while listening to the radio. Without touching the screen or the phone, it beeped and switched to the home screen. I was able to switch screens for a second then it would switch to the home screen again and beep like crazy. So I tried to reboot the head unit and it wouldn't let me do it. Just kept beeping at me. I unplugged my phone and plugged it back in and it finally allowed me to reboot the head unit. So far it hasn't happened again. It's been good now for 3 days without it happening. It took 9 months before this happened for the first time.

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
my exl radio started doing random beeping and backing out to main screen and does it at random time :(
I found that doing a complete factory reset under settings>system>factory reset, fixed this issue.

Last edited:

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
so this is what my Honda dealer told me today. They sent my video to techline and they are saying they are aware of the issue now and are trying to pinpoint the exact cause. They are saying it has to do something with a cable that's plugged into the USB ports is when its happening. Both times mine did this my cable was plugged in but phone was not. They said it doesn't matter if the phone is plugged in or not, as long as the cable is. They asked me for the manufacturer of my cable if not an Apple one. First time this did it was withmy apple cable, and second and third time was with my ANKER cable which is top of the line and apple certified. we will see.

germanwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Same thing was happening to me, it was annoying af and kind of embarassing
when I was driving with friends and my brand new car was acting up :rolleyes: the
only way I was able to get it to stop was swiping my whole palm over the
screen I took her in once to Spreen Honda where I bought her and they told
me "unfortunately we could not replicate the issue so we cannot repair it" they
did a hard reboot where I had to wait like 10 minutes in the parking lot as the
GPS was trying to locate signal (it started acting up the next day). I was not
satisfied so I went to another local dealer Penske Honda yesterday and the
service advisor told me that it was an issue and Honda is supposed to supply
them with an update but he wasn't sure as to when but it was supposed to be
sometime later this month. I left her there so she could get the Turbo Surge
update and the subwoofer rattle fixed and when I picked her up he advised
that apparently if you take the car in before the issue they need to replace
the screen needles to say I left that dealer a happy man as the old screen did
have a few scuffs :D not sure if that long story helps.

garynbks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan & 2015 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
We took our Touring in for this issue on Wednesday. We showed them a video of the beeping. The service tech tried blaming anything they could think of to tell us it wasn't an issue. Their last BS was to blame the toll road tag on the windshield. The dealer couldn't replicate it (this was our second visit for the issue).

The dealer was told by Honda it's a known issue regarding the sensitivity of the touch screen. They expect a software update to be available in March.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had the blinking green screen of death and freezing issues on my 16 Touring. The dealer replaced the entire thing without question.

Fast forward and I still have an outdated version for firmwire and it's starting to do that beeping and going back to the home screen.

Extremely dangerous on the freeway given it happened about a dozen times over ten minutes.

I did turn my setting to low sensitivity and I haven't had any issues but I can also tell you my screen is extremely clean. I am really wondering if the cold messes with the touch sensitivity.

Whoever was in charge of the head unit needs to lose their job. I cannot believe how buggy it is.

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I had the blinking green screen of death and freezing issues on my 16 Touring. The dealer replaced the entire thing without question.

Fast forward and I still have an outdated version for firmwire and it's starting to do that beeping and going back to the home screen.

Extremely dangerous on the freeway given it happened about a dozen times over ten minutes.

I did turn my setting to low sensitivity and I haven't had any issues but I can also tell you my screen is extremely clean. I am really wondering if the cold messes with the touch sensitivity.

Whoever was in charge of the head unit needs to lose their job. I cannot believe how buggy it is.
Is there a way to update the firmware?
Sponsored