Got rid of my 2017 Si Sedan...

Verdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si HFP, infiniti Q60S
Country flag
One of my favorite movie lines was one from Billy-bob Thornton " Remember kid, you can love a German girl but she'll never really love you back." I personally think that line was written by a German car owner.

I'm one of those guys that swaps out cars every few years and after my 3rd $1000 mechanical repair this year on my SKL 300 I traded it in for a new Si. I'm looking forward to driving this zippy little manual as a DD for a few years and hopefully enjoying something more reliable for a change. In the past 14 years I've owned a 2005 Boxster S and a 2008 TT roadster and a 2009 A4 cabriolet. All were nice cars but very heavy on the pocketbook with constant unexpected repairs which got old quickly. I also had a 2012 Mustang GT that was fun to drive but also had multiple mechanical issues with the last being the HVAC detonating and throwing bits and pieces everywhere causing 6K in repairs. I was really disappointed in that Mustang's reliability; thought it would be better. Still, I don't think that any of these purchases were bad ideas; I had a lot of fun in each one.
So what'd my point? All cars are different with their own plusses and minuses that suit each of us differently. Arguing which is better is kind of pointless.

captlwr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
Hey the guy was completely honest with all of us and we should all wish him BEST of "driving" with his new GTI - while I, too, have my opinions on German Cars, in the end it's everyones' opinons and desires to make their choices - my Wife has a 2007 Mercedes S550 and based on our experience, it is a genuine piece of highly-automated junk - as is Mercedes Service. Based on experience my opinion is that German Cars have great engineering but they are very quirky to maintain and get repaired properly not to mention expensive. I've either owned or driven a number of BMW's, Mercedes, Audis, Porsches and VW's so my opinions are based on MY experiences with them.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
All you guys wanting to trade in for a German vehicle go for it, you’ll learn the hard way.
Agree with @Verdingo . I personally think it's stupid to alienate German cars because of this dated saying. Its almost 2019 and that saying about German cars draining your pocket is something that is just old. With all of the cars these days having all this tech and electronic parts (safety tech, electronic parking brake, interior tech etc. the gap between Japanese car maintenance/parts and German cars is quickly closing. Japanese car reliability used to be true years ago when tech was limited in Japanese cars compared to German cars had a bunch of tech, but now its just not as true as it was 10 years ago. My Ml350 and 550i have been meticulously maintained with the service package I bought when I purchased these cars and they have been amazing (ML350 at 87K driving like new). Back in the 2000s, I would agree that German cars are money pits because they were filled with tech that other cars just did not have, so as a result more stuff broke and it was a disaster. 2019? Not so much.

Side note: Its absurd to think that the maintenance on a $60K German car will be the same as your $20K Civic, they are costly cars that will obviously have more costly parts in some areas, simple as that.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It’s your money and you can spend it however you like. Cost of ownership with a German car as they age is very high, that’s why almost all Audi’s, BMWs, Mercedes are leased rather than purchased, dump them before you get clobbered with expensive repair costs. $50k, $70k status symbol money pits imho, but as I said it’s your money. Expensive luxury cars you can’t beat Lexus.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
yeah dude, this will be my last response on the topic of german turds. i echo what a aldo said. german cars--theyre overpriced status symbols that will cost you thousands in big repairs over the course of ownership. on top of what you paid for the fuckin thing. i mean if you got deeps pockets, and a career so prosperous that money is no object, then by all means drive the german car.

even the hondas of today, which arent as reliable as 90s hondas, are still worlds ahead in reliability over german turds.

german cars are just cheaply made appliances. you see, toyotas are appliances too, but theyre extremely reliable appliances.

let me make myself perfectly clear, im grateful vw still at least does make compact cars. its a lot better to see a gti or bmw on the road over these god awful humongous hillbilly pickup trucks or soccer slut mom crossovers. but man, we are trying to look out for your best interests. we dont want you to break the bank with this gti which WILL inevitably break down.

but again, we respect your decision. i have a feeling youll com back to honda eventually.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All you guys wanting to trade in for a German vehicle go for it, you’ll learn the hard way.
Agreed. I strayed for a time and regretted it. I had to buy a scan tool and keep it in my glove to read all the check engine lights that came on. Since returning home to Honda, my scan tool is collecting dust.

OP
OP

Toro2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed all three of the Honda's that I've owned and I've gotten numerous friends and family members to switch over to them. That being said, unfortunately Honda currently doesn't have anything that catches my attention for a hatchback. Yes, German cars (especially luxury brands) in general have had reliability issues, however the newer VW GTI's themselves have good reliability reviews.

Didn't want to down grade in power going with a Civic hatchback Sport and the Type R dealer markups are ridiculous! It would be cool if Honda came out with a Fit Si, that has the 1.5 turbo that the current Civic Si has. Now that would be an awesome hatchback!
Sponsored