First drive in my new 2017 SI Sedan

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I originally never planned to get the SI as I wanted the hatch. When the dealer informed me the hatch sport 6 speed had a few month waiting list I went for a black SI sedan that was being unloaded from the truck as we spoke. overall ride is nice. 1st gear pulls seemed a little sluggish and delayed. The BOV going from 2nd to 3rd was a nice unexpected treat. 2nd gear tops at 58 which makes 0-60 pulls a 3 gear ordeal. Compared to the last SI I was in (2007), nice amount of upgrades and organization of the interior. Not bad car so far for 23,800

Honda Civic 10th gen First drive in my new 2017 SI Sedan 20170606_203221_1496854336148
Sponsored

iamitman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Sport 6 MT
Hmmm.. So when in first gear you can feel the power? Did you have the sport mode on?

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
I actually have to give Honda props for not gaming the 0-60 numbers. Who accelerates to exactly 60 mph and then stays at 60 mph... nobody in the real world. Gear ratios should be defined by real-world use data, not some dumb benchmark. And I do think 0-60 is a dumb benchmark, quarter mile is much more meaningful. Also I never heard Vin Diesel say "I live my life a 0-60 at a time".

iamitman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Sport 6 MT
I actually have to give Honda props for not gaming the 0-60 numbers. Who accelerates to exactly 60 mph and then stays at 60 mph... nobody in the real world. Gear ratios should be defined by real-world use data, not some dumb benchmark. And I do think 0-60 is a dumb benchmark, quarter mile is much more meaningful. Also I never heard Vin Diesel say "I live my life a 0-60 at a time".
I agree! Also in normal driving you will be more likely in 3rd or 4th gear when you get up 60.

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1st gear is low enough that by the time sufficient boost builds it's already time to upshift to 2nd. :)
I would say it seems a little sluggish for the first second or so, but I would assume that is due to the turbo needing a little time to spool

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmmm.. So when in first gear you can feel the power? Did you have the sport mode on?
Having it in sport mode did help. Or it may be the placebo effect of having a "sport mode" handling did get better though

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Having it in sport mode did help. Or it may be the placebo effect of having a "sport mode" handling did get better though
I agree on the throttle response, but that might be something where it is really "nuanced" and won't be able to tell until you have driven the car on a daily basis.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I originally never planned to get the SI as I wanted the hatch. When the dealer informed me the hatch sport 6 speed had a few month waiting list I went for a black SI sedan that was being unloaded from the truck as we spoke. overall ride is nice. 1st gear pulls seemed a little sluggish and delayed. The BOV going from 2nd to 3rd was a nice unexpected treat. 2nd gear tops at 58 which makes 0-60 pulls a 3 gear ordeal. Compared to the last SI I was in (2007), nice amount of upgrades and organization of the interior. Not bad car so far for 23,800

20170606_203221_1496854336148.jpeg
There have been indications that the SI is heading into dealerships with 87 (low octane) gas. Have you noticed an increase in power and performance from your initial pickup to now (assuming that you're now running ~93 octane)?

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There have been indications that the SI is heading into dealerships with 87 (low octane) gas. Have you noticed an increase in power and performance from your initial pickup to now (assuming that you're now running ~93 octane)?
Still on first tank from dealer. Once I put 93 I will post an update

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The LOW FUEL light was on when I picked mine up. I drove the salesman to the gas station and watched him fill it with 91 then drove 238 miles home. I filled it again with 91 a couple of days later. You probably won't notice any difference at less than WOT or hard acceleration between 87 and 91...and you shouldn't be doing those things for the first 600 miles, anyway, if you're following the break-in procedure listed in the owner's manual. :)

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
LOL, I've never heard a Vin Diesel line or any line from any of the FNF movies that was even close to accurate. It's like those movies were written by people in a third world country who had never even seen an actual automobile and were given a thesaurus of automotive jargon to mis-use.
Sponsored