Nortdort

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW Golf R, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Good morning everyone. I have a silly question for you: what is the best way to out of the Type R without destroying the side bolster?

I am coming from a Golf R, and it too had bolsters but not anywhere as aggressive as the Type R. However, its more upright seating position and lack of side skirts made it relatively easy to get in and out of.

I am finding the Type R much more difficult to get out of haha (5'11" 225lbs). Since the seating position is so low, the bolsters are high, and the side skirts are relatively large; I find it difficult to get out of without hitting the side bolster. I find myself having to pull myself out by grabbing onto the side pillar/back door and steering wheel which is something I want to avoid.

So any tips/tricks of the best way to disembark the drivers seat would be awesome.

Thanks!
Sponsored

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Swing your leg over the bolster and in the gap between the thigh bolster and the lateral support bolstering. Unless you've got Dwayne Johnson's thigh, you should be able to fit your upper leg in that gap. Your foot will be on the ground, so lift yourself over the bolster with your right leg.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
When I get in, I try to 'fall' in so I land in the center of the seat and on my bum and keep the weight off the bolsters. Once seated, I try my best to swing my legs up and into the car so they don't drag over the sides.
Getting out is reverse. So far so good!

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
I’m 6’0” 175lbs and my issue has been banging my knees against the lower dash and shoes against the door speaker grill on exit. Glad i’m not the only one that finds the egress tricky.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I get in, I try to 'fall' in so I land in the center of the seat and on my bum and keep the weight off the bolsters. Once seated, I try my best to swing my legs up and into the car so they don't drag over the sides.
Getting out is reverse. So far so good!
So.....how do you "fall" up? David Cooperfield, Criss Angel, Drake Stone? Come'on..you can tell us....I am good with a secret....I'm so sad, I haven't driven mine so long, I can't remember....

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
this is what I do.
this is what i do as well too. The trick is to get in and out sloooowly. Don't just flop in, because all your weight will rub everything over time.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
So.....how do you "fall" up? David Cooperfield, Criss Angel, Drake Stone? Come'on..you can tell us....I am good with a secret....I'm so sad, I haven't driven mine so long, I can't remember....
Haha. I flip the car upside down to get out. Don’t worry-it’s safe.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Well I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs. When I enter i back up to the door. I stick my right foot behind me onto the floor. I use said foot to stabilize myself as I sit in the seat. I try my best to avoid squishing the bolster. Sometimes ill drag my butt across it a bit. When I get out I kinda go in opposite. I use the steering wheel to stabilize myself but feel like I don't put much pressure on the wheel.
My buddy's zr1 is a different story. I about fall half the time I try to get in it.

inquisitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 03 Corolla
I’m 6’0” 175lbs and my issue has been banging my knees against the lower dash and shoes against the door speaker grill on exit. Glad i’m not the only one that finds the egress tricky.
I'm almost as tall as you and have the same problem. My door speakers on both front seats are all scuffed by shoes.

As mentioned earlier swing your leg over the bolster. I use one hand on the seat near the seat belt hook and the other hand on the bottom of the seat to give myself some leverage to get out of the bucket. Once at least one foot is planted it becomes easier to right yourself. The biggest problem after that is not getting your pants dirty on the car side skirt/panel when you're getting out!

My passenger bolster is getting squashed by everyone though. They don't give a damn and just sit right on top of it when they're trying to get out. :(

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
How is the seat foam and cover on these cars at springing back into shape? Does it start to show wrinkles/deform like most leather covered seats with large bolsters?

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
How is the seat foam and cover on these cars at springing back into shape? Does it start to show wrinkles/deform like most leather covered seats with large bolsters?
No, if they're anything like the past Recaro seats in previous Type R vehicles overseas, the bolsters just collapse.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Yep a couple of FK2 boys over here are trying to get warranty claims on collapsed bolsters, but no joy.

As has been said swing the leg over to the gap and lift and out....

My missus just can't wear skirts now...!

PepsiJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
My passenger bolster is getting squashed by everyone though. They don't give a damn and just sit right on top of it when they're trying to get out. :(
I’m a tall guy (6’2”) and like others have mentioned I make sure my thigh goes into the gap towards the rear of the seat.

As for the passengers, I hold nothing back yelling at people who don’t care enough to be careful getting in and out of the car. If they don’t like it, they can use their Chevrolegs lol.

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
6’ 190lbs and I have no issues getting in or out my car. Compared to my previous vehicles this car sits high...lol
Sponsored