Front and rear swaybar question

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. I have been looking into upgrading the swaybars on my '17 SI to the ones on the Type R. I know that the Type R rear sway bar is the most commonly done one; however, I have also read that changing to the Type R rear sway bar alone causes the balance of the car to shift towards oversteer. This may be desirable for some, but I prefer a more neutral balance.

It looks like both the front and rear Type R sway bars are 2 mm larger than their SI counterparts. If I were to upgrade both, would it theoretically maintain the same balance as I have now (avoiding oversteer)? Would there be any benefit to doing this in terms of increased handling? Any perceived downsides?

My knowledge of suspension systems is rather weak, so please forgive my ignorance.
Sponsored

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Actually, switching to the front and rear type r bars would have your balance emulate that of a type R’s, not maintain your current balance. That being said, that shift of balance may not be too extreme of a change since the CTR relies on other tricks than just swaybars to elevate its handling that much over the Si.

You’ll be fine with the front and rear bars together. The CTR rear bar alone might be more of a change in balance, and a CTR rear bar matched with, say an LX front bar, would be the most change in balance from stock Si. Some people like it. Some people don’t.

Since the front bar is a little difficult to do, some owners have installed the rear CTR bar as a half-step. Don’t like the balance? An hour (or less) later and you’re back to stock. They are pricier than they used to be though.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Also the 2mm diameter change from the CTR is not apples:apples. The front adds 2mm to a hollow bar which isn’t the same as adding 2mm to the rear solid bar.
Sponsored