FutureFK8R

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Accord
Country flag
Hello all. I'm sure we are all aware of the FK8 nearing its time to end. After our 2021 LE, its seeming that the tenth generation is gone. As a person who wants an Fk8 but just won't have the means in time, I'm getting a sour taste in my mouth. Alot of friends say that I should just go for a pre-owned one but, for one, I can bet the prices will be absolutely ridiculous. The most consistent trend I'm seeing in the U.S. market right now is no less that $5,000 off of MSRP. Add a few more years, and because of the car and what it is, they'll likely be even more. And for two, I liked the idea of being the first owner, car untouched and unscathed. Anyone else feeling the same way? I'll stop complaining now. Blegh.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Hello all. I'm sure we are all aware of the FK8 nearing its time to end. After our 2021 LE, its seeming that the tenth generation is gone. As a person who wants an Fk8 but just won't have the means in time, I'm getting a sour taste in my mouth. Alot of friends say that I should just go for a pre-owned one but, for one, I can bet the prices will be absolutely ridiculous. The most consistent trend I'm seeing in the U.S. market right now is no less that $5,000 off of MSRP. Add a few more years, and because of the car and what it is, they'll likely be even more. And for two, I liked the idea of being the first owner, car untouched and unscathed. Anyone else feeling the same way? I'll stop complaining now. Blegh.
These are tough cars and people take care of them - I wouldn't worry about finding a great used one down the line - while they keep their value they will not exceed new to secure one I don't believe for a while. I wouldn't worry too much :)

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't be scared to buy a used one, so many for sale with hardly any kms. It's a good way to save some money.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Al long as Honda keeps making Type R (which they almost always have), they will for the foreseeable future keep selling them in the US, my opinion. they have been a roaring success here, I don't see why they would not sell the XI Type R's here.

Maybe your set on a FK8 and not just a Type R, and that's a bummer you won't be able to get one new, but I would be surprised if they actually gain value anytime in the next decade.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One way to look at it is, in the 90’s I was in a similar position. Didn’t have the means to buy the cars I loved back then:

93-95 Mazda RX7
98-02 Integra Type R
Honda S2000

Totally missed out ?
Fast (or slow) Forward and now enjoying an FK8 and going all out... Never imagined having a car as amazing and practical as it is.

The Type R will be here for you someday... Or you may end up with something even better down the road... Like I did ;)

OP
OP

FutureFK8R

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Accord
Country flag
Al long as Honda keeps making Type R (which they almost always have), they will for the foreseeable future keep selling them in the US, my opinion. they have been a roaring success here, I don't see why they would not sell the XI Type R's here.

Maybe your set on a FK8 and not just a Type R, and that's a bummer you won't be able to get one new, but I would be surprised if they actually gain value anytime in the next decade.
Very true MadMage, I can't say I favor what the 11 gen is shaping to look like over the 10th. The FK8 is just so wide and distinctive... Perhaps if Honda will follow a similar direction as BMW by upping the ante of the interior/seats, it may be more appealing, but its just too early to say

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am in the EXACT same boat. I have a decent job and started real estate on the side to pay off my 19 touring (because I LOVE the car as a daily) so I could buy an FK8 new from the dealer. I loved my leased '17 sport hatch so much that I "traded it in" and financed a 19 touring so I could mod it. Therefore I know I would rather keep this car for a daily AND get an FK8, than simply have an FK8.
But, I have not been able to get started in real estate, it's been a year since I started my course. Therefore I have made no extra payments on my car yet :( And yes, I do know I did a lot of mods and could have put that $$ toward my loan but I would still have way too much on my balance to have made a difference.

This all said, I have pretty much given up now, but I have been doing more research and what I found is what some others have stated above... Most people take great care of them, and a lot of them end up for sale with only a few thousand miles on them. The fact that you generally cannot test drive them means some people who got their hands on one definitely drove it home, and after the dealer's satisfaction guarantee is over, they decide maybe it wasn't the right car for them. Then they try to be just under MSRP to make as much back as they can.

I think we will be able to find great specimens of FK8's from now up until maybe 5 years or so, then I do think that the value will start to climb a bit comparably and some of these very lightly used cars may go for closer to 40k with a few tasteful mods. But until that happens, I think as long as you truly want this car and treat it like you HAVE to have it, you will make it happen.

OP
OP

FutureFK8R

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Accord
Country flag
These are tough cars and people take care of them - I wouldn't worry about finding a great used one down the line - while they keep their value they will not exceed new to secure one I don't believe for a while. I wouldn't worry too much :)
You make a good point NapalmEnema, certainly. I'll be looking for whoever drove Miss Daisy when the time comes LOL

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Have you done much outreach on finding a new CTR at MSRP? It can be done., it takes a little bit of luck, certainly takes a little bit of time, but most folks who are persistent at outreaching to dealers can make it happen. It just takes a little bit of work and being an email warrior

OP
OP

FutureFK8R

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Accord
Country flag
I am in the EXACT same boat. I have a decent job and started real estate on the side to pay off my 19 touring (because I LOVE the car as a daily) so I could buy an FK8 new from the dealer. I loved my leased '17 sport hatch so much that I "traded it in" and financed a 19 touring so I could mod it. Therefore I know I would rather keep this car for a daily AND get an FK8, than simply have an FK8.
But, I have not been able to get started in real estate, it's been a year since I started my course. Therefore I have made no extra payments on my car yet :( And yes, I do know I did a lot of mods and could have put that $$ toward my loan but I would still have way too much on my balance to have made a difference.

This all said, I have pretty much given up now, but I have been doing more research and what I found is what some others have stated above... Most people take great care of them, and a lot of them end up for sale with only a few thousand miles on them. The fact that you generally cannot test drive them means some people who got their hands on one definitely drove it home, and after the dealer's satisfaction guarantee is over, they decide maybe it wasn't the right car for them. Then they try to be just under MSRP to make as much back as they can.

I think we will be able to find great specimens of FK8's from now up until maybe 5 years or so, then I do think that the value will start to climb a bit comparably and some of these very lightly used cars may go for closer to 40k with a few tasteful mods. But until that happens, I think as long as you truly want this car and treat it like you HAVE to have it, you will make it happen.
Its nice to know I'm not alone, adc3132, LOL. Yeah its just really bad timing I guess. I hope I'll come around to the pre-owned market; as it is truly our only option after production ceases. Sigh, only time will tell.

OP
OP

FutureFK8R

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Accord
Country flag
Have you done much outreach on finding a new CTR at MSRP? It can be done., it takes a little bit of luck, certainly takes a little bit of time, but most folks who are persistent at outreaching to dealers can make it happen. It just takes a little bit of work and being an email warrior
My stalemate is not having the means, WindJunkie. I have some friends who are FK8 owners, with ties to dealerships in the surrounding area that could help out with getting me one at MSRP. Just no cheddar... If my local dealerships were in the market for a kidney in exchange for holding that car a few years, they'd be surprised how fast I'd give it LOL

Savage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic type r
Country flag
I understand the lore of wanting a new ctr, I wanted a new one as well but I ended up finding a used aegean blue ctr, wasn't my number one color choice but it definitely wasn't my last choice. I really wanted a sonic Pearl grey. However I was bored as f*$& Durning the quarantine so I traded in my mercedes for a used ctr priced at 30k with 15k miles. (My wife was not happy I bought a car Durning our crisis)To my surprise the car was fully wrapped in ppf and not a single scratch was on it besides minor wheel scuff. I absolutely love my car. Fast forward to today and I cannot find any ctrs within range of the price I got mine for.( Wife is now a little more happy with my choice of implosive buying) so my ctr isn't new and it had one owner before me but I couldn't be happier. Unless I walked to my garage right now and the car magically changed its skin to psg . If you love this model and it's what you dream about having. Youd be happy with either a new or used one.
Sponsored