Filled tires with 78% nitrogen

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After nitrogen and oxygen, the next largest component of air is argon.
Sponsored

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Argon is a the gas they put in between the panes of insulated windows, if you ever need some.
Yeah, I produce 30 tons of argon every day at the air separation plant I run. I've got more than enough! :D

Insanerb25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
vw golf gti, civic dx
I thought it was obvious, but then again this is the internet and far dumber things have happened. I appreciate the concern.

As for what I actually think of nitrogen inflation: you would be better off buying a more accurate tire gauge than spending a dime on nitrogen inflation

1. Nitrogen still follows the ideal gas law, it will drop pressure in colder temps similarly to air
2. Over the course of time it will lose less pressure, but it will still lose pressure. This will still require monitoring and inflation. I don't know about you, but inflating it 3 psi vs 2 psi doesn't matter to me.
3. I don't have a nitrogen compressor at home, inflating would require extra work to drive to a shop with the tank
4. The accuracy of inflation pressure (because of crappy gauges) likely varies more than the pressure loss benefit of nitrogen. Accuracy still an issue for air too!
5. corrosion benefits are overplayed vs what the average consumer will ever see.
6. There are benefits, but the passenger car market is more of a marketing exercise than truly a consumer benefit.

There has been a few studies on this one by the NHTSA in America and one by a professor daws. Both run multiple tests at there are a couple rules to weither or not it is worth it.

1 its measured by the area of the tire (is it big or small) the larger the area the more nitrogen has an advantage).

2 it matters on the humidity of the air, air with high humidity fluctuates in temperature greater, and psi changes more. In a high humidity area the advantages of nitrogen are stronger

3 it depends on the activity of the vehicle, driving around in the city at 25 mph its not all that effective, driving on the freeway all the time its worth it, racing on a track is a must

Links to both NHTSA pdf and prof daws study on this page

Please read the pdfs for yourself and dont let people tell you wrong information
http://bvmotorsports.com/home/learn/wheels-2/nitrogen-filled-tires/

FC1rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring & 97 Civic Coupe Turbo

I don't know why people spend money on filling up with Nitrogen.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Costco now offers a free fill of helium with a purchase of four new tires. Advantages are much better gas mileage because the tires are lighter. It will also improve handling as the car will be easier to steer. How much you wanna bet MOST people will believe this.

Reactions: Boz

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
You mean it's not true?? I paid extra for Helium just for the unsprung weight! I just can't resist sucking my tires flat and talking funny though.

anarchivist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX L
There has been a few studies on this one by the NHTSA in America and one by a professor daws. Both run multiple tests at there are a couple rules to weither or not it is worth it.

1 its measured by the area of the tire (is it big or small) the larger the area the more nitrogen has an advantage).

2 it matters on the humidity of the air, air with high humidity fluctuates in temperature greater, and psi changes more. In a high humidity area the advantages of nitrogen are stronger

3 it depends on the activity of the vehicle, driving around in the city at 25 mph its not all that effective, driving on the freeway all the time its worth it, racing on a track is a must

Links to both NHTSA pdf and prof daws study on this page

Please read the pdfs for yourself and dont let people tell you wrong information
http://bvmotorsports.com/home/learn/wheels-2/nitrogen-filled-tires/
I went and had Costco put in Nitrogen on my X. I live at altitude, days with high humidity and days where temps can change as much as 50 degrees. I hate adding air when its winter and 20 degrees out. #nitrogenforthewinTER

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hope it was a really great deal. The air we breath is 78% nitrogen (21% oxygen and the rest basically water).
Haha that's what my dealer told me today he said they don't even have nitrogen o_O

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Costco now offers a free fill of helium with a purchase of four new tires. Advantages are much better gas mileage because the tires are lighter. It will also improve handling as the car will be easier to steer. How much you wanna bet MOST people will believe this.
Statistics say it'll make your car fly up to the sky like a balloon....

Where do I sign?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About 10 years ago I was a technician at a Ford dealership. We received a "nitrogen" tire inflation machine and started to sell "nitrogen" tire inflation.

It was a big colorfully decorated box on wheels with an air line and a bunch of bright lights on it. Super cool looking machine. It was supposed to separate the nitrogen from the air and fill the tire with nitrogen.

Well some of the techs removed the big flashy plastic cover to reveal a super tiny air compressor with no air or water scrubbers. It was basically the same kind of compressor you would get for $40 at Home Depot for air nailers. This company didn't even remotely try to make the internals look like they did any kind of "filtering". It just filled the tire up super slow. We would only do this in the service drive so people could watch it happening and people would always ask what we were doing. Effective.

I hope all those people enjoy their $40 green valve stem caps.