EX-L Items for Lower Models

giordano21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civil lx
I'm looking to swap the lx black lower trim on the steering wheel with the ex silver lower trim. Do I need to disable the airbag or can I just unscrew the trim with the airbag wires connected? Do I need to shut off battery as well for this? I appreciate any feedback with this. Would this be a hard installation to do for an average guy
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
hal9000

hal9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
It's should be easy. You'll need a Phillips head and a T30 Torx. Try to magnetize your T30 as you don't want those fasteners dropping inside the column cover. There's enough slack that disconnecting the airbag/horn isn't necessary. However, I would recommend doing it. Disconnecting the two airbag connectors is very simple. You should disconnect your battery and let it sit 10-15 minutes before doing either method.

giordano21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civil lx
It's should be easy. You'll need a Phillips head and a T30 Torx. Try to magnetize your T30 as you don't want those fasteners dropping inside the column cover. There's enough slack that disconnecting the airbag/horn isn't necessary. However, I would recommend doing it. Disconnecting the two airbag connectors is very simple. You should disconnect your battery and let it sit 10-15 minutes before doing either method.
Thanks do I need to replace the t30 bolts that hold the airbag in place. If so why ?

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You think this is included when you purchase from let's say collegehill or other honda website?
If you are purchasing the kit, it should come with all the necessary items (harnesses (2), relay, fuse, switch, tie straps, screws, etc). The site I purchased from (http://hondapartsnetwork.com/) shows exactly what's included in the kit, so other sites should too. If in doubt, it's always best to check with whomever you're purchasing from.

Fivenine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex
If you are purchasing the kit, it should come with all the necessary items (harnesses (2), relay, fuse, switch, tie straps, screws, etc). The site I purchased from (http://hondapartsnetwork.com/) shows exactly what's included in the kit, so other sites should too. If in doubt, it's always best to check with whomever you're purchasing from.
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it

giordano21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civil lx
I can't get those bolts out of the steering wheel. I have a t30 tore screwdriver but the bolts are so tight it won't budge.
How do I get them off.

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
Steering wheel and shifter are amazing, huge improvement over stock. I'm glad I swapped these out.

Last edited:

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Bought the leather shifter for $53 shipped after promo code from Honda Parts Unlimited

Also got leather console pieces from junkyard for $160 shipped

If anyone wants promo code, let me know

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
So the shift knob went as expected..very easy.

Tools needed:
Phillips head
Thumbnails

Time 10-15 minutes

On the select lever there's a silver trim ring between the knob and the boot. On the ring are two raised indicators. If viewed from above they'd be in the 3 and 9 o'clock position.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpso0wqcfjh

Directly below these indicators hidden inside the boot are two tabs on the base of the knob. These basically hold the silver trim ring up.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpskgxf5wh

Feel through the boot and locate the two tabs. Pinch both tabs with one hand while pressing down on the trim ring with your other hand. The trim ring will slide down. You can see in the first picture how the trim ring is separated. The bottom mounting screw is now exposed.

Next you're going to remove the black plastic cover plate from the front of the knob. It's held by two tabs located near the bottom of the cover. This picture shows the location of the tabs. This is where you'll want to place your thumbnails.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpsdhl2uq0u

Insert a thumbnail on each side between the cover and the knob. Gently push forward towards the dash.The cover will pop off. The top mounting screw is now exposed. Here's a shot of the tabs inside the cover as well as the two mounting screw holes on the knob.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpsjdvc27tf

I used a stubby Phillips head to remove the two screws holding the knob on. Once the screws are removed the knob will simply slide up and off.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zpscvekapwf

From this point everything is basically the reverse.
Add new knob and reinsert screws.
Pop plastic cover back on.
Slide silver trim ring up until it clicks in place.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX-L Items for Lower Models image_zps3txurzh5

Is it possible to do swap while in Park, or do I have to go to N?

Edit -- I tried it both ways and can't get the trim ring to drop.

Last edited:

hurricane379

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
It's tough, i couldn't get it with my hands either so I took an adjustable wrench to squeeze the sides while I pulled down on the ring. Worked like a charm

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
It's tough, i couldn't get it with my hands either so I took an adjustable wrench to squeeze the sides while I pulled down on the ring. Worked like a charm
Nice, I had the same thought, but hadn't tried it yet. Glad to hear that it works with that method.