Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Need support from KTuner.

Recently bought v1.2.
My ECU 37820-5aa-L67 (Civic 1.5 2016).
In downloaded software are available two firmwares
- 5aa-L65
-5aa-L68

So, sn of my ECU is not listed, despite fact on official page it's supported (http://ktuner.com/16civicturbo/ 37820-5AA-L61 through L68)

I tried to flash 5aa-L68 - no success. Second attempt for 5aa-L65 worked. ECU flashed, but
some questions are there

1. Is it OK to flash ECU when SN does not match exactly ? If not - what should we do ?
2. Tools\Error codes. Some indicators after driving are in red, but no error codes in list. Is it OK ?
3. K.Control increased from 0.5 till 0.7. No KnockCount. How is dangerous it ?
4. I have CAI from Injen. How do I know either I need custom tuning or not ?

Thanks.
Sponsored

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Need support from KTuner.

Recently bought v1.2.
My ECU 37820-5aa-L67 (Civic 1.5 2016).
In downloaded software are available two firmwares
- 5aa-L65
-5aa-L68

So, sn of my ECU is not listed, despite fact on official page it's supported (http://ktuner.com/16civicturbo/ 37820-5AA-L61 through L68)

I tried to flash 5aa-L68 - no success. Second attempt for 5aa-L65 worked. ECU flashed, but
some questions are there

1. Is it OK to flash ECU when SN does not match exactly ? If not - what should we do ?
2. Tools\Error codes. Some indicators after driving are in red, but no error codes in list. Is it OK ?
3. K.Control increased from 0.5 till 0.7. No KnockCount. How is dangerous it ?
4. I have CAI from Injen. How do I know either I need custom tuning or not ?

Thanks.
You're asking about a hardware number, which is supported. The software version should be as closely matched as possible to the details in the KTuner>Unit Info section, which is what the description next to the software versions say in the list.

The colors are for indicating readiness status for the various monitors. The list is for error codes, if there are any.

KC will vary based on fuel quality, environmental factors, and your foot. .7 is not an indication of a problem.

Injen's throw fueling off. Consult with a tuner to see if it's far enough to warrant a custom tune for it. The Injen has not been repeatable enough to say yes or no, from the data we've seen.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
You're asking about a hardware number, which is supported. The software version should be as closely matched as possible to the details in the KTuner>Unit Info section, which is what the description next to the software versions say in the list.

The colors are for indicating readiness status for the various monitors. The list is for error codes, if there are any.

KC will vary based on fuel quality, environmental factors, and your foot. .7 is not an indication of a problem.

Injen's throw fueling off. Consult with a tuner to see if it's far enough to warrant a custom tune for it. The Injen has not been repeatable enough to say yes or no, from the data we've seen.

Thanks for response!.

I still confused within provided answers.
Let me try rephrase
1. Tools\Ktuner UnitInfo: Software: 37805-5AA-L660.
File\New Tune shows two options:
- 5aa-L65
-5aa-L68

Attempt to flash with 5aa-L68 caused error U0038 (CAN mail-function). 5aa-L65 - worked fine.
So question is: is it supposed to be that when proposed tune does not work out of the box ?
See, this is quite suspicious - if one firmware does not work, I'm not confident that second is working and compatible !

2. I know how to interpreted codes. Question was. should all indicators be green ?
3. Got it.
4. Again question is not about provide custom tune. Question was "How do I know either I need custom tuning or not ?"

Thanks.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks for response!.

I still confused within provided answers.
Let me try rephrase
1. Tools\Ktuner UnitInfo: Software: 37805-5AA-L660.
File\New Tune shows two options:
- 5aa-L65
-5aa-L68

Attempt to flash with 5aa-L68 caused error U0038 (CAN mail-function). 5aa-L65 - worked fine.
So question is: is it supposed to be that when proposed tune does not work out of the box ?
See, this is quite suspicious - if one firmware does not work, I'm not confident that second is working and compatible !

2. I know how to interpreted codes. Question was. should all indicators be green ?
3. Got it.
4. Again question is not about provide custom tune. Question was "How do I know either I need custom tuning or not ?"
1. As stated, match as closely as possible. You tried one that was newer and because the other softwares on your vehicle are not newer you received the code. I can't say don't try newer because if you had L64 you'd clearly have two listed that were newer, so again, match as closely as possible.

Why do we need both? Our units store tunes. Some people do not flash to stock and unlock before going to the dealer. If the dealer updates your software and you flash an old version you get the code, but the new version is now listed in the Info section. We have both so you can switch between them.

You've already chosen the correct one, so continue to use it until you get updated, if ever.

2. Immediately after a flash all monitors are reset, so they will be red until they pass. You can find out more about emissions monitors, what they're for, and how they work, by searching online.
4. I very clearly told you Injen throws fueling off. I'd say that my previous response gave you more than enough information to make a decision to whether you want to work with a tuner to properly tune that intake. You can also monitor your fuel trims closely to see what kind of correction is being applied because of your intake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
1. As stated, match as closely as possible. You tried one that was newer and because the other softwares on your vehicle are not newer you received the code. I can't say don't try newer because if you had L64 you'd clearly have two listed that were newer, so again, match as closely as possible.

Why do we need both? Our units store tunes. Some people do not flash to stock and unlock before going to the dealer. If the dealer updates your software and you flash an old version you get the code, but the new version is now listed in the Info section. We have both so you can switch between them.

You've already chosen the correct one, so continue to use it until you get updated, if ever.

2. Immediately after a flash all monitors are reset, so they will be red until they pass. You can find out more about emissions monitors, what they're for, and how they work, by searching online.
4. I very clearly told you Injen throws fueling off. I'd say that my previous response gave you more than enough information to make a decision to whether you want to work with a tuner to properly tune that intake. You can also monitor your fuel trims closely to see what kind of correction is being applied because of your intake.
Thanks again.

Makes sense - about 1-3.
Regarding #4 - will conduct more data & logs to make decision. Actually after two weeks driving I did not spot that mpg dropped. Not sure either this is indicator I'm fine or not.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks again.

Makes sense - about 1-3.
Regarding #4 - will conduct more data & logs to make decision. Actually after two weeks driving I did not spot that mpg dropped. Not sure either this is indicator I'm fine or not.
Check STFT and LTFT in the software. The ECU will constantly attempt to correct, but that does not mean it's running safely at all times. Generally if you have a large LTFT you're going to run rich or lean when you get into the throttle and the ECU will then attempt to correct simply because the difference is not linear at all flow rates.
Sponsored