dump budget OEM tires?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Anyone here with a 2016-2108 EX or high trim immediately dump the horrible, budget OEM Firestones for a more high end grand touring tire??
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I upgraded to 18" wheels and new tires when I first bought my 2016 civic ex-t

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I bought Nokian zLine A/S tires (UHP all seasons) to replace the Firestones, but haven't installed them yet. Those Firestones are noisy and rough and not grippy at all. Other than that, they're great. :p

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I don't hate my Firestones but I can't wait to replace them. Being in Canada, I have snow tires so it will be a while to wear these things down even with their low 500AA rating. I did a bunch of research on Tire Rack recently and for a grand touring tire, the best overall choice seems to be the Continental PureContact with Eco+. The next closest are the General Altimax RT43. I have a set on our CRV and they are indeed as good as reviewed out there. Both tire models are 700AA rating so they should last a good while. I have had the RT43s on the CRV for about 45000 kms and there is still a little over 6/32nds left in tread. They start at 10/32nds so it is about right for the treadwear rating. They have been driven in the winters till this latest winter so they will likely have a long lifetime ownership now. (I rotate and check the tread depth on every swap/rotate so that is likely a contributing factor to why I get good wear out of my tires.)

If one is on a bit of a budget, the Pirelli P4 is the least expensive tire I have had in the last 25 years that was actually a good tire. They were the last ones on my old 7th gen Civic and ended up going to the pit with it. They were still in great shape and although I don't know for sure what the tread depth was when I junked it, there was more than enough to pass our annual inspections. They were always quiet and performed well considering that a 2001 Civic LX is not likely to push them past their limits :)

I have to say that I have yet to have a dry grip problem with the Firestones or a noise issue either and I have had them on two, 3 hour circuit drives on the highway. I know there is quieter as I own quieter but they are certainly not crap. They are really only a dry weather tire though. They will let go fast in the wet.
Sponsored