With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Bagged 2020 Civic Ex Hatch
Country flag
As the title states, I drove my civic thru the back roads on a stormy night and hit a really big puddle on the road. The car made it thru with water being splashed everywhere but would not give power when hitting the gas pedal. Come to find out that the engine is giving no power when I shifted the car into drive and reverse. After hitting the puddle of water, the good ole Christmas lights started happening. Bunch of codes started lighting up my dash and next thing you know, the engine is out. I pushed the car out of the street and then turned off the car. I did not start it again because I was afraid I might've hydro locked it. I do however have a PRL cold air intake and my vehicle is lowered. Despite these mods on my car I did have it aired up in a higher height because I knew there would be small puddles and I was driving cautiously. My question to everyone is, what do I do? I don't wanna make the assumption I hydro locked the car. I am gonna check the oil dipstick tomorrow and spark plugs for water but other than that, is there anything else I can do to check for water damage? And if so, is there a way I can save the engine?
Sponsored

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
PRL cold air intake + water doesn't sound good. How deep was the water?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A car this low (I get it, you weren't quite this low that night) and a CAI in an area that gets floods is a really bad combo.

Honda Civic 10th gen Drove thru water 46819

Do you know what your actual error codes are (I wonder if those are electronic ones)? Did you have it towed to a mechanic?

If you want to DIY things, (although I'd rather let a pro check it out), here's advice from @xjoshuax89:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...sh-oil-and-new-spark-plugs.76944/post-1160997

Good luck. Fingers crossed, you avoided hydrolock.

Last edited:

Time4boost

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic coupe ex-t
Country flag
I was in the same situation as you 3 weeks ago. My car is up and running. Had the car towed to the dealership and all they did was 3 oil and filter changes, spray water out of the spark plug tubes and then dried off the spark plugs. Also, check the inlet pipe for water, if there is dry it up with a towel. Hopefully you have the same luck as me. 👍🏼

OP
OP
With_extra_salt

With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Bagged 2020 Civic Ex Hatch
Country flag
So, I removed my spark plugs and started the car and piston 1 shot so much water like a water gun. I’m currently going to change the oil and see if the car will even run today. Fingers crossed I didn’t bend something