Does your SI make this whistling/whining noise when accelerating?

Does your SI make this whining/whistling noise when accelerating?

• Total voters

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Please see video that I took below. When I first got my SI, I could barely hear the turbo (it was a very quiet, high-pitched whistle). Now I can hear a much louder whining/whistling sound when accelerating, particularly in second gear. I managed to capture this noise with my cell phone, shown in the video below (you might need to turn the volume up a bit).

If you wouldn't mind, could my fellow SI owners tell me if they hear this as well, and if they've always had it? Thanks!

EDIT: just to clarify, this noise occurs even with the air flow turned completely off.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Curtman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
adfdsfdsf
Vehicle Showcase
I hear it in mine too and I've always had it. I think it has something to do with the heating and a/c. There were some other threads about weird noises but I can't find them right now.

RamrodSi

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe
Try without the HVAC blower going, just completely off, and see if it still makes the whine.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get the impression mine is fuel pump related. I get a similar sound but you also hear it when you come to a stop and idle.

ricoxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try without the HVAC blower going, just completely off, and see if it still makes the whine.
Yes, the noise stops when the AC is turned off. So it is a HVAC issue. It's just annoying when it I hear this noise all the time and there is no simple fix for this yet :(

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I get the impression mine is fuel pump related. I get a similar sound but you also hear it when you come to a stop and idle.
Agreed, I can hear the whistling sound decrease in frequency (pitch?) as I'm slowing down. Would that implicate the fuel pump more than the turbo?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Potentially relevant follow up question: is it normal to be able to feel an air current coming from the front facing side of your intake? I had the hood up with the engine on today, and was surprised to feel a strong air current hitting the back of my hand all along the front of the air tube.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Potentially relevant follow up question: is it normal to be able to feel an air current coming from the front facing side of your intake? I had the hood up with the engine on today, and was surprised to feel a strong air current hitting the back of my hand all along the front of the air tube.
Potentially stupid question, was the fan on?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Potentially stupid question, was the fan on?
Great question. Not sure - I'll make sure to go out and test it with the air on and off in a bit.

If anyone is willing to check this out on theirs, I'd be grateful!

RamrodSi

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe
Great question. Not sure - I'll make sure to go out and test it with the air on and off in a bit.

If anyone is willing to check this out on theirs, I'd be grateful!
I think he means the cooling fans for the radiator. I doubt the HVAC fan would effect any air flow under the hood but the cooling fans certainly would.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think he means the cooling fans for the radiator. I doubt the HVAC fan would effect any air flow under the hood but the cooling fans certainly would.
Ah. That is a great point. Not 100 percent sure, but I will definitely have the dealer take a peak.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I don’t hear anything strange.
Me either. I would characterize the high pitch "whine" as gear noise. Though with that high pitch, it's probably the turbo.
Sponsored