Did you want the CVT, or settle for it?

Is it true that practically nobody wants a manual transmission?

• I want or bought the CVT. I don't want no steenkin manual.

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • I settled for the CVT because the 6MT wasn't offered in my trim choice.

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • I settled for the CVT because I didn't want to wait a long time to order a 6MT.

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • I want or bought a 6MT. I don't want no steenkin CVT.

Votes: 46 26.7%

• Total voters

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
My lifetime average is 45 mpg at almost 10,000 miles.

My highway commutes are at 65 to 75 mph and I'll average 47+ mpg. The EPA highway rating on my car should have been at least 47 mpg.

/high rpms ? fuhgetaboutit ,... manual transmission efficiency rules the day
//shifting through flowing traffic, stop lights -- that's part of the fun. An occasional traffic jam is no big deal , .. But if you have a heavy and consistent stop and crawl commute -- I'd think twice about a manual transmission.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bu66a

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Sedan
Country flag
I'm kind of split. I wanted the Touring, so my only option was the CVT. At the same time, I don't know how to drive a manual car outside of video games (that knowledge certainly won't be a waste when it comes to learn manual). I also live in New Jersey, where traffic is definitely a thing, so I'm not certain I'd want to have a manual.

Of course, I really want to learn how to drive manual. Problem is buying a manual car is well, kind of a gamble if you don't know how to drive one at all.

Who knows, I'm still young, and as much as I love my CVT for being extremely dependable as well as one of the smoothest transmissions I've ever used, maybe I end up trading (mid next year?) in for a Si. Or something comparable. Really, I just want to drive all the cars, which is a BAD thing when you'd be spending so much money just to get something new to drive. At least Honda continues to offer manual transmissions. :beer: Oh well, I still plan on enjoying my '17 coupe for many more months at the minimum.
I bought my first manual without actually ever having driven a manual car. I drove it off the lot and stalled 1 time on a 12 mile drive home. Never stalled again. I rode a motorcycle for 2 years prior so that may have been why it was so easy for me (motorcycles are basically all manual). But nothing like buying into the fact that you're going to drive the damn no matter what's :D

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
I got the cvt because I did not want a manual and if it came as a 9 speed automatic I would have chose that over cvt due to the controversy over its reliability

OP
OP

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
...Manuals are rarer in cars for a reason. Modern technology has passed them by.
I think manuals are less desirable for most people because they don't enjoy driving and view cars as an appliance, like a washing machine. Who would want a manual washing machine? I'm not saying autos don't have their place. In heavy stop and go traffic, auto is the way to go. Actually, hybrid is the way to go in that environment. Honda has made the worst choice possible in choosing the CVT for their automatic. It is weak and inefficient compared to a DCT or other geared transmission. The 6MT will surpass the CVT in fuel economy because of the high side friction of the CVT's pulleys. Yes, I'm aware of the EPA ratings but those that carefully measure FE of both find that the 6MT wins hands down.

The purpose of this survey, though, is not to debate people's choice in transmissions. The purpose is to test my theory that 6MT Civic buyers are being deliberately pushed by Honda away from their choice. Honda is pushing those that want the 6MT to the CVT by relegating the 6MT to lower trim models only and then withholding production forcing the 6MT customer to wait many months to buy their car. Why? Some say it's the tyranny of the marketplace at work. Nobody wants a manual and that's why they aren't being produced. I think the results of this informal survey show that's not the case.

euicho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put a deposit for my 6MT and waited for about two months for it to arrive. They asked me several times if I just wanted to take a CVT, probably to get a sale the same day, but I wouldn't budge.
Same here still waiting (hopefully September). Absolutely made the right choice.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
the CVT is faster, that's what the speed rags said. haha car rags. are the MTs having fuel dilution issues too?

Last edited:

Rizzo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2005 Civic Coupe
I had to search 4 dealers in my area before I was able to find a 6MT LX sedan. They all had plenty of CVTs though. I like to put the miles on, so need reliability - my 2005 5MT Civic Coupe has 272,000 trouble free miles on it with the original clutch intact. I could not find reports of Civic CVT's with high mileage though. Maybe CVTs have not been out long enough for that.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
My HB is my daily driver....often times in stop/go traffic.....I didn't want a steenking 6MT. I drove a manual every day for almost 15 years, that's enough.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
I see what you are saying but the Si is a specific trim that is not right for everyone that wants a 6MT.

When I went to my local dealer to have them source a 6MT Sport Hatchback for me they thought it would be an easy task because "dealers can't get rid of them". While they may be typical of many manual transmission Hondas in the past few years (excluding the Si) they learned that was not the case after it took 6+ weeks to find a car for me. Well under 1% of the hatchbacks that were on the market at the time were 6MT.
EXACT same experience, I was told 1% of civics are 6MT and they don't make them because people don't want them. 2 months later my dealer was able to trade with another dealer for my blue Sport 6MT. I likely would have swapped to an SI had they come out before my hatch came in but I definitely like the hatch body style better. I like the SI interior better.

I wasn't buying a CVT... period...

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
I had to search 4 dealers in my area before I was able to find a 6MT LX sedan. They all had plenty of CVTs though. I like to put the miles on, so need reliability - my 2005 5MT Civic Coupe has 272,000 trouble free miles on it with the original clutch intact. I could not find reports of Civic CVT's with high mileage though. Maybe CVTs have not been out long enough for that.
Most of the other brands that have been running CVT's longer than Honda (Nissan specifically) they have been almost a wear part at 60k-100k miles needing to be replaced. I didn't want to take that chance with a Honda CVT. Also, I like driving stick so much better.

darthjes

First Name
Jes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 HB Sport
I've been driving for 10 years and have never driven a manual in my life. Went for the 6MT without hesitation. After my parents' 2 year old Outlander Sport's CVT died on them I decided it's just something that's too new and there are still kinks that need to be worked out. I found my car about 5 1/2 hours away, took delivery Saturday and was driving to work by Tuesday. After a month of daily driving there's no doubt I made the right choice. I live in Las Vegas, there's stop and go traffic but so what? It takes a bit more effort but that's hardly a make it or break it for me.

Second reason was my kid drives in 9 years, I wanted a brand new car that will last that long so he can have it as a first car, I just don't think the CVT can hang for that amount of time yet.

SonicCocoa

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback (Sonic Gray)
I wanted the CVT. I've driven manuals for years when overseas but prefer automatics when driving in the US. It makes my driving experience easier and allows anyone to move my car if necessary.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think manuals are less desirable for most people because they don't enjoy driving and view cars as an appliance, like a washing machine. Who would want a manual washing machine? I'm not saying autos don't have their place. In heavy stop and go traffic, auto is the way to go. Actually, hybrid is the way to go in that environment. Honda has made the worst choice possible in choosing the CVT for their automatic. It is weak and inefficient compared to a DCT or other geared transmission. The 6MT will surpass the CVT in fuel economy because of the high side friction of the CVT's pulleys. Yes, I'm aware of the EPA ratings but those that carefully measure FE of both find that the 6MT wins hands down.

The purpose of this survey, though, is not to debate people's choice in transmissions. The purpose is to test my theory that 6MT Civic buyers are being deliberately pushed by Honda away from their choice. Honda is pushing those that want the 6MT to the CVT by relegating the 6MT to lower trim models only and then withholding production forcing the 6MT customer to wait many months to buy their car. Why? Some say it's the tyranny of the marketplace at work. Nobody wants a manual and that's why they aren't being produced. I think the results of this informal survey show that's not the case.
I would say your theory on pushing people to the CVT is patently wrong. If you watched the Accord world debut or read anything about the new Accord, they kept the manual transmission because people want it. The even mentioned a campaign of "Save the Manuals" They put the 6MT in lower models because people that want a Touring version want just that, touring, they want the car to do everything, they dont want to shift. Sure maybe .1% of Touring buyers wish it had a 6 MT but more than likely, someone who wants a MT will take the Sport version or even the mid level ex-t when it comes to the civic. Now I wish they put paddles shifters in every CVT, at least every turbo model CVT but that would probably raise the price above where they want to be.
Sponsored