Were any of you trying to convince yourselves you didn't want the Touring?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I'd consider Touring but honestly, since it's the first model of a new generation (and lack of HDMI), I didn't want to commit to the highest trim.

A lot of the features in Touring are nice, but it's not enough for me to say I need it. EX-T seems to check off almost all I'm looking for.
You don't want the HDMI port
Sponsored

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer only got two coupes in, both modern steel with one being a touring and one LX P. If the touring didn't have 6k price difference and if it had a proper fire breathing tire melting turbo I would pay the extra. As it was, I got the LX P and I'm happy that I did. My dealer already has their allotment of type R civics reserved and they are planning to have a hefty mark up on those so for now I'm happy. Maybe in 2 or 3 years when this design is more common place I will pull the trigger on a type R, but not a touring.

max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
Country flag
i'm really not a leather guy and i do make alot of rest stops while in my car using my laptop. so i am constantly moving the seat back and fourth so i tend to not like electric seats. as they take much longer to move from 1 position to the next. seat warmers are a non-issue here in san diego. as is the rain sensing wipers. so i went with the ex with sense pkg.

MrBudha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
The EX-T for me was perfect when it came to price and features so I didn't find myself "wanting" the touring. Now, however, the only thing I really wish I had was the leather.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Any reason why? I figure it would be useful mainly for Waze or if I want to view the contents on my dashcam.
I don't even know what we are talking about. Did some earlier systems have an HDMI in port that was basically a dumb monitor? I'd imagine there aren't many phones that have an HDMI out. In theory (and eventually), Android Auto and CarPlay will be a "smart" version of that with screens that are dumb with the logic on the phone. Eventually, we'll be there.

oneover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 2015 Corolla S Plus
The EX-T for me was perfect when it came to price and features so I didn't find myself "wanting" the touring. Now, however, the only thing I really wish I had was the leather.
And the leather in The Touring is higher end material. Blows away the leather offered on the Avalons I have owned.

MrBudha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
And the leather in The Touring is higher end material. Blows away the leather offered on the Avalons I have owned.
I believe it - Honda has done a good job with putting quality components (for the most part) on these new Civics.

3vilhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't even know what we are talking about. Did some earlier systems have an HDMI in port that was basically a dumb monitor? I'd imagine there aren't many phones that have an HDMI out. In theory (and eventually), Android Auto and CarPlay will be a "smart" version of that with screens that are dumb with the logic on the phone. Eventually, we'll be there.
HDMI will be great!!
http://www.civicx.com/threads/audio-touchscreen-system-tips-tricks.871/page-8#post-50054

i post a vid here before about Thailand Civic having the HDMI. having a HDMI i can chromecast anything from my phone to the screen

3vilhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't really consider it. Most of the features you get on the Touring are things that aren't on my radar, and didn't add enough value to me to justify the cost. I prefer cloth to leather. The smaller wheels and fatter tires of the EX are a plus to me given our road conditions. Actually, the only feature that exists on higher trim levels that matters to us would be heated seats. I almost got the EX-T mainly to get the heated seats in cloth, which to us is the ideal configuration. But after driving the turbo and NA car back to back, I didn't feel enough of a performance gain to make the extra cost worth it. Coming from a turbo Jetta, for instance, I was surprised the Civic felt a lot slower to me than the VW. It may not be on paper, but seat of the pants, the Jetta feels a lot stronger power-wise. Had the turbo Civic felt as peppy, I might have coughed up the cash to go EX-T.

It really wasn't a price issue to us per se, as we could have easily afforded the Touring, but rather a value thing. The extra stuff just didn't have value. I'll spend the difference on something I'll get more enjoyment out of, i.e. a new bicycle or something.

EDIT: A hail storm significantly damaged the EX they located for me and that I was scheduled to pick up today. Looks like a turbo might be in the cards after all if it's a deal I can't pass up. We'll see...

i think u are feeling the difference is due to Jetta using DSG and civic using CVT... i really miss my GTI DSG, is really awesome.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If the unit came with HDMI, that would open up a whole world of dev possibilities. It's possible the Thai units could get imported and retrofitted here. But I think users will figure out another way.

MiraCast/Chromecast/Apple TV would be huge. I use MiraCast for AppRadio and love it.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
i think u are feeling the difference is due to Jetta using DSG and civic using CVT... i really miss my GTI DSG, is really awesome.
No, I've driven the VW turbos in manual, DSG, and 6 speed automatic form. My wife has a '14 Civic with CVT. I'm familiar with the characteristics of the transmissions. The Jetta just plain feels a lot more powerful across the board, at least under 4k rpm. The Civic is superior in many other ways.

Now that I've driven our new turbo Civic for a while, it feels quicker than it did on the test drive. A lot less so than the Jetta, though. It is what it is. Not a complaint, merely an observation.

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The only complaints I have is that the electronics are a bit buggy and I consider the head unit a major distraction/unreliable. There's also a fair bit amount of rattles that I displeased to see - my 2013 had zero after 40,000 miles.
Rattling?! Oh, no. I'd be devastated if my new car started rattling. Anyone else experience the same with their new touring model?

OP
OP
DX2000

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Rattling?! Oh, no. I'd be devastated if my new car started rattling. Anyone else experience the same with their new touring model?
Yup. Terrible rattles from the speakers.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I haven't had the famous subwoofer rattling so many others have had (yet). I had one nasty one under the driver footwell. Dealership was able to replicate and fix it with insulation. There's also a random quiet one sometimes by the passenger seat belt area, but it's minor. Other than that it's been pretty quiet. The base of the seatbelt- the bolt where it connects to the floor, makes a really weird rattling sound sometimes (go try it yourself, wiggle it around.)

I will say that rattles are not uncommon on first model year cars. Once I got it fixed its been quiet as a mouse. Milwaukee's roads are some of the worst I've ever driven on, so it's just a matter of time.
Sponsored