Decent dealers in the SF Bay Area?

autoturk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while and decided to sign up as I'm getting ready to buy but am having a frustrating time with dealers in the SF Bay Area. I've been emailing them about getting a cash OTD price on an EX-T, and most of them refuse to even give me a quote that isn't the MSRP (or a few hundred bucks lower) that they list on TrueCar, Edmunds, etc.

Here are some "fantastic" experiences I've had with some dealers. I don't usually like to name and shame but I'm seriously floored that an entire industry runs on borderline fraudulent behavior with a heavy dose of incompetence (reminds me of banking!) and a complete lack of understanding of customer service:
  • Avery Greene Honda - asked for a price on an EX-T, and they quoted me a "low price" of 20k (not OTD) for an EX, after ignoring the questions in my initial email and replying with a one-line "Our incentives change all the time."
  • Honda of El Cerrito - My family has bought two cars from here before due to proximity to our home, so I decided to give them a shot thinking that I would likely purchase from them (and I told them this in my email). I specifically said in my email that I am not interested in dealer-added accessories, and if they were on the car I would not pay for them. Here was their response, quoted verbatim: "All of our vehicles come with dealer accessories, but if you require one without, we can certainly try to get one for you for an added fee. Let me know." My jaw dropped to the floor. I responded that I would be taking my business elsewhere.
  • Concord Honda gave me a "specialized" quote of 23k (not OTD) for an EX-T. Seriously?
The rest of the dealers didn't even respond to my emails and instead relentlessly called the Google voice number I had set up despite specifically saying I want to keep the conversation over email.

The only dealer that actually gave me a serious quote of 20.9k (with destination but without tax and license fees) was Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, and the sales rep answered every single question in my email exactly. These guys look like winners but I'd like to get this a bit lower and then use the college grad discount.

Any tips or places I should look at? I'm looking to buy ideally at the beginning of the month. I will be financing through Honda financing to take advantage of the 0.9% rate as well, though didn't note this in the emails I sent out.
Sponsored

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Yes, those three dealers you mentioned are a bunch of jokers. If you don't mind traveling down to SoCal, there's a user here that got a killer deal on her EX-T. Car prices are usually cheaper over there. We purchased our EX sedan from Kastner Honda http://www.kastnerhonda.com/ - I can connect you with the folks there, if they have your car in their inventory.

Last edited:

flashncrash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T w/Honda Sensing, 2016 Subaru Forester 2.5 Premium, 2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
I just bought an EX-T w/ Honda Sensing on Sunday June 12. The color I wanted with this trim is/was exceedingly hard to find. I checked out Honda of El Cerrito also since I also live nearby and checked out Marin Honda, Dublin Honda as well as put out email feelers to others such as Folsom, Sunset (in San Luis Obispo). I worked through Roadster.com (as I had purchased a 2016 Subaru Forester through them in March) but their pricing was not as good.

Long story short is, after 3 emails, I got an ePrice from Stockton Honda. Many of the dealers when you ask for their ePrice/internet price/whatever they want to call it, will not give you their price right away wanting to know more about you, when can you come in, call and we can talk, etc. For me I don't go by the OTD price and that's because I know, essentially, the approximate amounts of the different fees (from buying the Subaru) and knowing our sales tax rate. Stockton Honda immediately quoted me an ePrice of 21099 that included the destination charge. The EX-T you are looking for is 1000 less in MSRP/invoice (23035/21669 vs 24035/22504 or 22604 with destination charge included) but you probably already know these numbers. I remembered that Honda of El Cerrito was the next lowest at 21604 but they never had the color I wanted.

When I purchased the car 2 days after the dealership received it there was the unrequested "dealer-installed accessories" Pro Pack of wheel locks, splash guards and all-weather cargo tray for 695. I had been in phone and email communication with the internet sales people and manager and had told them I didn't want any dealer-installed stuff. Apparently that wasn't a problem as they did not charge me for the items.

Price breakdown: 21099, 80 for document processing fee, 2012.10 sales tax at 9.5% (I live in Alameda County) for the total of the 2 previous numbers, then you add charges for license, registration, CA tire fees and a miscellaneous 29 fee totaling 285.75 which brings the total to 23476.76. I paid cash, no trade-in.

Stockton Honda will post on their website vehicles "in transit" meaning they know a particular color/trim is on the way. This is how I knew the combo I wanted was available and I got Stockton Honda to "secure" the car for me so they agreed not to sell it to anyone else. All I needed to do was fill out an online short credit application even though we were paying cash. As I said the color/trim combo I wanted is rare, since the beginning of May at most there are 2 in the state and sometimes none.

It was worth buying it from Stockton Honda and timing worked out well since my son and I were driving up from SoCal on June 12.

Hopes this helps.

elusive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
I bought through costco and worked with Concord Honda. Great Experience and my price was in the upper 21k range for EX-T with sensing

Pchilnsf415

Hopkins Honda in Fairfield was great for us.We did everything online with them as we knew what we wanted.

apophenia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Explore central valley if you are okay with 1-2 hours drive, people in the forum found good prices from Stockton and Folsom Lake.
I got mine from Stockton, Folsom Lake was a bit hard to talk to.

Pilotman11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic EX
Yes, those three dealers you mentioned are a bunch of jokers. If you don't mind traveling down to SoCal, there's a user here that got a killer deal on her EX-T. Car prices are usually cheaper over there. We purchased our EX sedan from Kastner Honda http://www.kastnerhonda.com/ - I can connect you with the folks there, if they have your car in their inventory.
Small world! Kastner Honda is my local dealership as well. Went for a test drive and to look at the LX. The salesman was very upfront, and was very nice. They are a good dealer for sure.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Small world! Kastner Honda is my local dealership as well. Went for a test drive and to look at the LX. The salesman was very upfront, and was very nice. They are a good dealer for sure.
Small world for sure - they are moving into a bigger facility down the street next month. I liked working with them, no hassles at all. Will be visiting them for 1st service since they throw that in with every purchase. Nice places to eat at the riverfront too, just a few blocks from them. Will you be buying your Civic from that dealership?

Pilotman11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic EX
Yeah next to Toyota, looks like the new place will be a lot bigger. I plan on buying my Civic from there; just not too sure when yet.

bmartinson13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '97 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a terrible time with Honda dealers in the bay area for the most part. I knew exactly what I wanted when the vehicle came out so I was very specific with dealers about trying to find a WOP Touring + some US OEM parts added on. Almost all of the dealers didn't want to put any effort into trying to get their hands on one to sell to me - in fact, Dublin and Livermore failed to even give me quotes for what they'd charge for my config... So, instead I went back to my hometown in Madison, Wisconsin over Thanksgiving and bought the exact trim I wanted for a WAY cheaper price and paid to ship it out to where I live here in the bay area. In all, the cost for the parts labor and the price of the vehicle were considerably cheaper, and even after I paid $1k to ship it, I came in under all of the "best" quotes the dealers out here would give me.

Of the various dealerships I contacted in the bay, Kastner seemed the best and most up front for sure. I would have gone with them if I wouldn't have gotten a way better price from the dealership I bought it from in Wisconsin. Both Dublin and Livermore sucked for me and Stockton was quick about getting me a quote and following up with me, but they quoted me WAY high at the time. I ended up paying $25,265.00 for the Touring before fees and added parts - but this was back in November so not sure how much that pricing info helps.

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
When I was trying to buy a Civic Touring sedan back in February, I emailed several dealers and got no responses back. I physically visited Capitol Honda in SJ and would not budge from MSRP. Salesman kept asking me about monthly payments after I told him I only wanted to talk total price first before we discuss financing. After 30 minutes of back and forth, their "best" offer was straight up MSRP. :what:

That's when I got fed up and discovered that the 2016 ILX was being heavily discounted and I was able to score a great deal with a pleasant sales experience.

It sounds like the bay area market for Civics might still be in the "bubble phase," which is surprising to me. But it does seem shortsighted of a dealer to treat a potential customer so badly for the short term gain of making more money on the uninformed and gullible types.

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Have you guys tried getting quotes via edmunds.com? I would get automated emails with quotes, average $1,400 off MSRP. Minutes after, the dealers will personally email you with even lower prices (about $1000 lower than edmund's quotes).

jrasero23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX Premium
When I was trying to buy a Civic Touring sedan back in February, I emailed several dealers and got no responses back. I physically visited Capitol Honda in SJ and would not budge from MSRP. Salesman kept asking me about monthly payments after I told him I only wanted to talk total price first before we discuss financing. After 30 minutes of back and forth, their "best" offer was straight up MSRP. :what:

That's when I got fed up and discovered that the 2016 ILX was being heavily discounted and I was able to score a great deal with a pleasant sales experience.

It sounds like the bay area market for Civics might still be in the "bubble phase," which is surprising to me. But it does seem shortsighted of a dealer to treat a potential customer so badly for the short term gain of making more money on the uninformed and gullible types.
This pretty much sums up why I prefer Acura over Honda every time. I live in NYC and even in the suburbs Honda dealers are slime balls saying anything to get you into the dealer and thus into a car. My experience with Acura dealers in the Tri-State area fall bellow Lexus or Mercedes but compared to Honda Acura is a low pressure enjoyable experience (BESIDES PARAGON ACURA Queens).

So there is no denying the 16 ILX is missing some key features such as Android/Apple compatibility, rain sensing wipers, rear heated seats, and 60/40 split folding back seats, but you got to remember the 2016 was a refresh not a second gen and was based on the 9th gen Civic. The 10th gen Civic is newer and is based on the Accord platform.

Deals for 2016 ILX are crazy good with dealer incentives from $2000-$3250 depending on model, which allows prices to go way bellow invoice pricing. I got my 16 ILX Premium for $26,260 before TTL.

busyizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
I've worked with both Manly Honda in Santa Rosa and Stockton Honda and had very good experiences with both of them. Manly Honda is usually willing to deliver to SF free of charge and try to get you your desired color. Worth the drive out to both Santa Rosa and Stockton from SF for me!
Sponsored